Expansion Upgrade List

85 Night Elf Druid
09/01/2011 06:49 PMPosted by Totemhehe
in what way is it not free to play

"Free to Play" means that there aren't any restrictions and the game itself is free to play as you want. The trial account isn't "free to play" in the sense that it has the same restrictions it's always had and it's not the full version of the game. Does it cost anything to play the trial account? No. Is it free to play like other games with no restrictions? No. Unfortunately Blizzard's idiot marketing team slapped "Free to Play" on a lot of banner ads and websites to trick people into thinking they can have a full game experience that only has a level cap of 20.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
09/01/2011 06:49 PMPosted by Totemhehe
in what way is it not free to play.

Truly "Free-to-Play" with a level cap of 20 would mean that you could do all the same things that a level 20 character of a paying player can do.

This is not the case since "F2P" accounts in WoW can't whisper, initiate a group, use the Auction House, use the in-game mail, talk on the forums (except for this one), trade between players, etc. A level 20 and under character on a full account can do ALL those things with no restrictions.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Left out archaeology on the cataclysm list
Reply Quote
19 Night Elf Druid
OMG! so i cant play a worgen unless i get a frikin wrath of the lich king? ugh this is sucking
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
09/03/2011 10:49 AMPosted by Baionnette
OMG! so i cant play a worgen unless i get a frikin wrath of the lich king? ugh this is sucking

You announced this in another thread already. Saying it repeatedly won't make it change.

Updated the Archeology note.
Edited by Icedragon on 9/3/2011 11:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
20 Dwarf Shaman
09/01/2011 07:29 PMPosted by Icedragon
Unfortunately Blizzard's idiot marketing team slapped "Free to Play" on a lot of banner ads

hmm agree with blizzard saying free to play or agree with random person saying that blizzard is wrong about thier own game
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
09/03/2011 11:11 AMPosted by Totemhehe
Unfortunately Blizzard's idiot marketing team slapped "Free to Play" on a lot of banner ads

hmm agree with blizzard saying free to play or agree with random person saying that blizzard is wrong about thier own game

Don't derail my thread.
Reply Quote
60 Troll Hunter
09/03/2011 11:11 AMPosted by Totemhehe

Free to play in most gaming communities means You can play the full game but don't have access to the best gear and such. Blizzards model says now free to play and then in tiny print *to level 20. There are more restrictions on blizzards "f2P" version. It's exactly the same as the Trial was with the exception of the 10 days has been removed.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
This is a shameless bump to put it back on the front page.

Bumped... by the Well-dressed Worgen DK.
Reply Quote
60 Troll Hunter
bump to the front page because I was thinking of it....

vote for teh sticky people!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I get an error when I tried to request sticky today, usually it works. "Error 500: your request cannot be completed" Is there a limit on how many times I can request a sticky? I request this thread to be stickied every time it's on the front page.
Reply Quote
60 Troll Hunter
I've had that error come up a few times since blizz changed the forums /shrugs I'm not sure what's up with it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I think we can only request a sticky once per thread now (judging from what threads I've also gotten that error with and when). Sadly that may mean it will be near impossible for a thread to get a sticky status now unless they also reduced the mystery number that blizzard uses to determine what threads get sticky status.
Reply Quote
20 Dwarf Shaman
01/28/2011 03:48 PMPosted by Icedragon
up to level 25-ish we think

i heard it was 30
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
09/27/2011 06:41 PMPosted by Totemhehe
i heard it was 30

It's somewhere between 25 and 30, but until someone actually tests it out thoroughly to see where exactly the cutoff point is and reports back we're going to go with the lower number. It's better to have players be pleasantly surprised when they can talk in /say on trial accounts to players of a higher level than they expect, than be disappointed when they can't contact a player of a level which we said they could.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Hey Icedragon, can you please update your original post with the prices for the original game and expansions? I realize this information isn't exactly difficult to find but it is nice to have it all in one place.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
09/29/2011 12:35 PMPosted by Turranmc
Hey Icedragon, can you please update your original post with the prices for the original game and expansions? I realize this information isn't exactly difficult to find but it is nice to have it all in one place.

Depending on where you go and how you obtain them, the prices are different. Blizzard's store itself even puts the packages on sale occasionally (typically in the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The standard price from the Blizzard store is fine, though it's up to Icedragon if he wants to add it or not. I think many would find it very convenient.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
09/29/2011 02:18 PMPosted by Turranmc
The standard price from the Blizzard store is fine, though it's up to Icedragon if he wants to add it or not. I think many would find it very convenient.

She... and she's currently on vacation. I'll pass the suggestion along though...
Edited by Nullwolf on 9/29/2011 2:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
60 Troll Hunter
Bumping for more Sticky votes.

Do it....

Do it NAO!!!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]