Foreign languages in gchat.

12 Draenei Shaman
Hi guys (posting on alt, natch).

Just wanted to get some opinions on something.

My guild is a casual, leveling up, really helpful guild. We have a lot of lowbies and even newbies to WoW.
Our guild leadership is made up of hardcore elite raiders (now retired and giving something back to the playerbase).

We mostly have solo players, people who play in small groups with friends and even some families in our guild. We have an open door policy, so we get all types (thankfully, jerks and so on don't stay for long).
We have almost no 'rules' for the guild, and we let people play as they want how they want and use the guild's facilities how they see fit (we have an open gbank and thankfully, no one has raided it yet :P )

Recently, a few really helpful and active guildies joined our guild. They are cool people and don't cause trouble and seem to enjoy playing in our guild. The only thing is, they sometimes speak a foreign language in gchat.

Our GM and officers don't mind at all, but some of the other guildies find it a bit disconcerting. We wanted to get some ideas on how we should handle this issue.

Should we make a 'rule' of people sticking to english in gchat? This would probably be our first rule ever.
Should we just let people speak foreign languages in our gchat? This may 'put off' english speaking people.

One of the core components of our guild is to get our members (who normally would play solo) to make some friends in the guild. We want this to happen through our gchat. What we are finding is that with all this foreign language in gchat, english speaking people don't want to chat in gchat so much, hence, they can't make friends with other guildies.

What is your opinions?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Guild chat should be available (and comprehensible) to the entire guild, in my opinion, and it sounds like the foreign language might be alienating a lot of people. The only solution I could offer is to have them make their own private channel where they can speak their native language without bothering anyone or needing to be in a party.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I'd say just approach the foreign-speaking guildies and ask if they wouldn't mind keeping guild chat English-only. Tell them exactly what you told us, you like guild chat is a tool to socialize and draw in players, and a language only a few of them can understand is off-putting. Also explain to them how they can create their own channel. If they like guild chat because they can talk to each other wherever they are in the world without even being grouped up, then creating their own channel accomplishes exactly that.
Reply Quote
12 Draenei Shaman
01/31/2011 2:36 PMPosted by Asterie
Guild chat should be available (and comprehensible) to the entire guild, in my opinion, and it sounds like the foreign language might be alienating a lot of people. The only solution I could offer is to have them make their own private channel where they can speak their native language without bothering anyone or needing to be in a party.

Do you think asking them to chat in their own private channel may end up alienating them from the rest of the guild?
The last thing we want is to have any kind of division, or have guildies feel isolated in any way. I fear that having them chat in a private channel sends a signal of "this is where you foreign speaking people chat, the rest of us chat here in gchat".

But still, this is definitely an idea worth considering.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Wait, people speaking a foreign language is making other people not want to talk at all? No offense, but thats just stupid. Sounds like some people are just trying to draw straws and come up excuses to not be sociable. If someone has something to say, someone else speaking a foreign language shouldn't stop them anymore than someone speaking in english.
If you want to be a social group, try simply speaking to the people in english, and see how they reply. You shouldn't really need to make it a rule to speak english, as maybe some people are not comfortable speaking in english for fear of embarassment, and thats why they speak their native language. If you are polite to them, and simply include them in english conversations, odds are over time, they will speak in english more anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
If it is just a small group of people and they are speaking a language that only three or four of them can understand, then they are essentially holding a private conversation amongst themselves and are not talking to the guild. Instead of forcing them to speak English in gchat, I would recommend that they create a private chat channel. Some of my close friends and I have our own private channel in which we discuss RL events and people, and it works out really well for us so that we aren't cluttering up gchat with stuff nobody else cares about. We can still talk in gchat if we have a conversation that we're fine sharing with everyone.

Perhaps you can ask an officer to suggest this to one of the folks in this group.

Edit: That's what I get for getting distracted and not posting this quickly. I guess I just kind of repeated what the others said. :p
Edited by Zivaltia on 1/31/2011 2:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
12 Draenei Shaman
01/31/2011 2:52 PMPosted by Koalachan
Wait, people speaking a foreign language is making other people not want to talk at all? No offense, but thats just stupid. Sounds like some people are just trying to draw straws and come up excuses to not be sociable.

I don't think this is the case, I think its actually closer to what Zivaltia said, which is that to the other english speaking guildies, its like someone is having a private conversation.

Remember, the people in the guild are true casuals. They don't have assertive or aggressive personalities. They are mostly mature, respectful, if a bit reserved people. Most of them played solo before the guild and are a bit intimidated by the whole guild thing (our guild is the first guild they have ever been in). So they might not be as accustomed to asserting themselves in gchat like more veteran players are.

Many of you have said that an officer should approach them and ask that they keep gchat english if they can. One of our officers did do this (he tried to do it in a humorous way asking them to speak in english so the rest of the guild could enjoy). They replied that they were just asking each other for help, not really something for other guildies to enjoy. At which point he dropped the subject so as not to cause any drama.

But I think we will propose the private channel idea, don't know how well that will go over though, it may end up looking like we are isolating the foreign guildies.

Any other thoughts?
Reply Quote
4 Blood Elf Mage
I think the private channel idea is a good one.

To be honest, they are ALREADY separating themselves from the guild, simply by holding their conversations in a foreign language. If they wanted the guild to be involved with them, they would be holding their conversations in English.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Hmmm. I guess I'd ask myself "would I do the same thing if it were a group of English speakers having an obviously private or exclusive conversation in guild chat." There's nothing wrong with keeping your guild chat common, and asking people to move topics or non-inclusive conversations to other channels.

But be realistic here. If it's not causing a disturbance, and there's a small portion that want to complain about it, then maybe they should make an effort to get to know these players. "Hey, what are you guys talking about" pretty much breaks that ice... You don't have to regulate every thing; some of it can just be learning some social and people skills. Maybe if you're actually having a conversation with one of them, you might mention "hey, some people get a little uncomfortable when the guild chat isn't in English." Or maybe the people with a problem with it learn to deal with it.

From the description, it seems like most everyone's ok with it, so I wouldn't bother making an issue where none exists.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Do you think asking them to chat in their own private channel may end up alienating them from the rest of the guild?
The last thing we want is to have any kind of division, or have guildies feel isolated in any way. I fear that having them chat in a private channel sends a signal of "this is where you foreign speaking people chat, the rest of us chat here in gchat".

But still, this is definitely an idea worth considering.

It depends on how you handle it. I'm not suggesting that you tell them 'We don't want your language in gchat so take it somewhere else'. Personally I would say something to the effect of 'Hey guys, we'd like everyone to feel welcome in the general guild chat and some feel that we're intruding in a private conversation when you're speaking a language we can't understand. Please use a private channel when you feel like speaking your native language and use English in guild chat'. Then I'd make sure that they're not segregating themselves (or being segregated by others) by making a special effort to include them in guild chat conversations.
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Shaman
If they start talking in channel, I would send a public message on guild channel saying, "Hey, do you mind translating that for the rest of us who don't speak _?" or, "Not all of us understand _, think you can stick to English for now?"

That tends to point out to them that they're being rude (which they are).

I would NOT say, "The rule is to speak English only".

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
When I ran my leveling guild I never told anyone what language the could or could not use... but What I did do is tell everyone if the Converstation is meant for one party in the guild take it private, if it starts out as a general question to the guild but develops into a conversation between two or three members party up and take to party chat or take it to whispers.

The issue was I was getting alot of complaints from other members about how annoying the constant flow of green scrolling chat was and that when there was a lot of chit chat back and forth some who had real questions and issues were lost in the mass of green text.

By asking all my guildies to do this it allowed everyone to ask a few questions and be heard, not just a few select few who would then drown out everyone else.

Maybe the same could be applied to these players tell them you do not mind them talking in guild chat but if they feel the need to keep things private, which I feel that is why they are using a foriegn language, then maybe it is better they take it private ie to whisper or party chat. it is kind of like being in a group of friends and then starting to whisper to your friend standing next to you but excluding the others..
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Guild chat is a public channel provided for the guild. Unless people are messing around, it should be kept comprehensible for the universally understood language of the guild's players, whatever it may be. There is /p, /w, as well as the ability to make a private channel. Entire conversations in a different language should be kept to a minimum (or just not happen at all).

Speaking in a different language around people in real life (even though they know you are perfectly capable of speaking their language) is considered rude. The same holds true to that of guilds. Intentionally speaking in a language only a select few people in the guild can hear looks bad, and makes them come off as snotty or rude. Private discussions should be kept in private, not in a separate language.

Confront them politely about it. Ask them to try to keep guild chat to English and suggest the alternatives. If they continue, and many different players continue to complain, it's time to make some rules or deal with them. As minor of an issue as it may be, it's complete disrespect to continue doing that after being confronted.

EDIT: To the poster above me, I don't think asking people to take things to private chat is a good idea in all situations. Unless it's a topic that probably nobody else online could (or would want to) be able to contribute constructively, guild chat should be kept open for interesting discussion that allows anyone to jump in when they see something interesting. Discussing the ups and downs of Roleplaying when only a few people in the entire guild even give a damn about it should probably be pushed to private, while discussion of successful and failed WoW raids is something that should probably be allowed in guild.

EDIT2: Edited my first edit to make both topics relevant to WoW.
Edited by Zulxin on 1/31/2011 10:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
We have around 3 languages spoken in the guild chat. I personally don't mind whichever they use though we try to use English when the others are around. If they want to talk to us, they will use English and vice-versa. I don't mind seeing numbers scrolling on my screen like the matrix as long as it's not spam.

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
01/31/2011 10:43 PMPosted by Zulxin

EDIT: To the poster above me, I don't think asking people to take things to private chat is a good idea in all situations. Unless it's a topic that probably nobody else online could (or would want to) be able to contribute constructively, guild chat should be kept open for interesting discussion that allows anyone to jump in when they see something interesting. Discussing the ups and downs of Roleplaying when only a few people in the entire guild even give a damn about it should probably be pushed to private, while discussion of successful and failed WoW raids is something that should probably be allowed in guild.

EDIT2: Edited my first edit to make both topics relevant to WoW.

You did not read why I asked that... I was getting complaints that there was so much chat going on people who had questions could not be heard... once I asked that some of these Conversations be taken private communication became easier.

yes guild chat should be for everyone.. the problem I was having is that a few select players were drowning everyone else out. I had too many players complain that they could not get their questions addressed in guild chat because of this problem. While you might not agree with it, it worked.

If I saw a conversation going on too long between two players some of it getting personal I would whisper both players to take it private, I never called either out openly. No topic was off limits unless another player said they were uncomfortable with the topic.

The OP is dealing with a group of guildies who are being rude either knowingly or unintentional. it is no different than the Conversation hogs I had to deal with in my guild.

When some one is rude it affects everyone, and you need to find a fix that works for everyone. By keeping guild chat limited we were successfull... We are a raiding guild so this may not work for a social guild, Plus we have vent with mult channels for social chit chat.
Guild chat is simply used to ask direct questions of the entire guild or to communicate with the guild as a whole , not to have a long drawn out discussion.. not in my raiding guild.

How guild chat is used or not used is likely defined by the focus of the guild.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]