New Ret Mastery on PTR

90 Dwarf Paladin
I haven't been on the PTR so far at all for this new patch. I havent really seen any or found anybody commenting on the new Mastery. On paper it seems really nice, a nice passive damage boost. But how does it actually perform in a raid environment?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
all changes on the PTR for ret seems to be around a 10-12% total dps increase with the current gear set available on test (ilvl 359).

since many classes (hunters, dks, fury) are getting toned down, this will likely net in a large gain on the overall state of ret dps, more so than 10-12% on paper seems to be.

The mastery is very nice, it makes the mastery stat much more desirable, and cleans up our rotation a bit.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
10% huh? so instead of doing 9k dps I could do 9900, and for the less geared folks doing average 7k they will then do 7.7k.

Seems underwhelming, but yeah if you are saying others are getting a bit toned down it will make us more desirable, but i still think our dps is going to be a huge chunk below others.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
That's nice to hear. That should put us almost on the level with the other specs. Or at least close to it.

@Seoinage, take off some of that pvp gear and you might see a better increase your dps out put ;)

Edit: How much mastery are we talkin for that 10-12% increase. Is that at base levels with just the basic 8%?
Edited by Gronthur on 1/27/2011 8:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/27/2011 8:01 AMPosted by Gronthur

@Seoinage, take off some of that pvp gear and you might see a better increase your dps out put ;)

The +strength 4 piece bonus makes the PvP gear quite competitive with similar ilvl PvE gear
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
It is possibly too early to tell just how big a DPS increase we are getting. The DPS boost from the new mastery has to be played against the DPS loss from decreased HoPo generation.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
01/27/2011 4:15 AMPosted by Gronthur
I haven't been on the PTR so far at all for this new patch. I havent really seen any or found anybody commenting on the new Mastery. On paper it seems really nice, a nice passive damage boost. But how does it actually perform in a raid environment?

I would say it's close to 7-10% and closer to the 7% side and not the 10% side. It really depends on gear. I have done a lot of testing in 11 min intervals on the PTR and the conclusion I'm coming to is with all other current classes that are low on DPS getting buffed we aren't really moving up.

I'm not going to rewrite the post here but if you want to see the results just go here. http://www.retpaladin.com/warcraft/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5417&start=10 I did 4 tests in varies gear sets and the conclusion I've come to is why we are getting a buff it's far from substantial.
Edited by Requital on 1/27/2011 8:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/27/2011 8:21 AMPosted by Templa

The +strength 4 piece bonus makes the PvP gear quite competitive with similar ilvl PvE gear

Which is why they are cutting it in half on the PTR. Yippy.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Did some testing on the PTR last night, and while each test I did I saw a DPS increase, the range of that increase fluctuated quite a bit due to the changes to HoPo generation, so over 6min intervals of testing, the RNG gods had a fairly large impact.

On live whenever I test on the boss test dummy I get roughly the same number, with maybe a 4-500 dps difference from lowest to highest over a 6min test. On PTR I was seeing around a 8-900 fluctuation. With slowing down of HoPo generation, that 4pc T11 bonus is going to be worth a lot more now in order to maximize how much Inquisition time we get out of each HoPo point before needing to spend more to refresh it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/27/2011 8:45 AMPosted by Xanthes
Did some testing on the PTR last night, and while each test I did I saw a DPS increase, the range of that increase fluctuated quite a bit due to the changes to HoPo generation, so over 6min intervals of testing, the RNG gods had a fairly large impact.

On live whenever I test on the boss test dummy I get roughly the same number, with maybe a 4-500 dps difference from lowest to highest over a 6min test. On PTR I was seeing around a 8-900 fluctuation. With slowing down of HoPo generation, that 4pc T11 bonus is going to be worth a lot more now in order to maximize how much Inquisition time we get out of each HoPo point before needing to spend more to refresh it.

Sucky!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Hand of Light on the PTR will not 'overkill' a target, so it will always hit the 1hp dummy for 1. The dummy with HP (or an actual mob) is the only way to test it, currently.
Edited by Illuwin on 1/27/2011 9:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I tested a premade with thus far obtainable gear with a few other pallies in a large raid group. In every test on the training dummies 3 out of 5 pallies were top DPS. I was third with heavy Crit stats, 2nd place had heavy Haste stats, and 1st place, at 21Kdps and 23-26K bursts, was supposedly heavy on Mastery.

However, I tried to reforge to as much mastery as I could, but I just couldn't get the DPS up. It was lower than with high Crit. I haven't gotten a chance to talk to that pally again yet, to see exactly how he reforged his gear, but he was never beaten in the tests.

I will say that the rotation is still Whac-a-Mole, but it's a little better. HoL seemed to proc more, although there were still those desperate moments where everything is on CD, HoL hasn't proc'ed in 20 seconds, and I don't have enough mana to drop Consecration.

But I did notice an increase, compared to my DPS before the update was applied, with these new stats.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]