I got kicked from a rated BG because I'm deaf

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Apparently, I got kicked from a Rated BG because the leader told me to get on vent. I simply told them that I'm deaf irl and I know how to PvP, considering that I have 3k resilience and do well in arena with macros.

The leader spoke "Yeah, okay, seriously, they can't play online games, hop on vent.", for the second time, I told them that I'm deaf irl and suddenly one of guys from Methods spoke "You're full of bull#@!*, I've raided with you before and you chatted like a machine." Ok, I had no idea what that guy talked about, he was never in my raid, perhaps he was doing that to get me kicked. Either way, I got kicked, after I said "I'm deaf irl, and have been since my birth." They were like "Sorry, if you have to keep lying, i'll have to remove you from the raid.

I was wondering why there's bunch of people who didn't believe me that I'm deaf irl, I mean, seriously, they can do anything as much as hearing people does. There was one time that I was in a raiding guild, during AQ40 raid, a leader from Phantom Legion booted me because I'm deaf irl. It's basically the same as that, I was greatly upset.

Tell me, what would you do if you have a deaf person in your raid, arena, or your rated BG raid? Sure, they can play online games, they can be good as the rest, they also can raid and they're dependent on DBM, clearly. How do you feel if you're deaf and you can't do rated BG because you're deaf and need to be on vent? That's clearly Audism.

If you're unsure of that word.
Audism is a term typically used to describe discrimination against deaf or hard of hearing people, although it could also be expanded to include anyone with a difference in hearing ability. - Google

Sure, I'm raiding in Sociopath, one of top guilds on this server and have no problems, but rated BG? Sigh, that's a different story, it doesn't matter, both is visually the same.
Edited by Whitely on 1/29/2011 6:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
82 Night Elf Death Knight
01/29/2011 6:37 PMPosted by Whitely
Sure, I'm raiding in Sociopath, one of top guilds on this server

Quoted for later.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
It's a shame when people can't understand that deaf people play wow too. I did quite a few raids in Wrath with Whitely, and when someone on vent can stick up for him, it generally works out. It's sad that this occurred.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
There was a legally deaf man in my first guild ever. Granted we never did anything hardcore with him, but it was never a big deal to anybody I don't think. He was a good player, that's all that mattered to us.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
brb developing an addon that converts vent convos to sign language all over the screen.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/29/2011 6:51 PMPosted by Jalhaden
Sure, I'm raiding in Sociopath, one of top guilds on this server

Quoted for later.

Uh, What?

01/29/2011 7:43 PMPosted by Thandrend
There was a legally deaf man in my first guild ever. Granted we never did anything hardcore with him, but it was never a big deal to anybody I don't think. He was a good player, that's all that mattered to us.

Oh? What was his name and what was his old guild? I may know him, Or I'm probably.. him? :O

01/29/2011 7:56 PMPosted by Throbin
brb developing an addon that converts vent convos to sign language all over the screen.

AHA! You made my day, although, that would be nice. I believe voice-to-text exists, but they're all awful.

Anyways, thanks for your support, I really appreciate it, especially Bohemiân and Daywolf. It's a good thing that I have friends in high places. <3
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
If you are deaf... why aren't you writing in sign language?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
You were probably better than everyone in there. Did some war games(5v5) earlier today, whitely is a monster ^^
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Carebear, you truly live up to your name.

Whitely, move on and find a group of people to run with who are more considerate then. The citizens of Smolderthorn aren't obligated to make special accommodations for you because of your inability to meet their unique PvP team requirements.

If you think you're being discriminated against, then take it up privately with a Blizzard representative. Otherwise, I don't think there's any part of the Terms of Service that says that PvP teams are not allowed to be selective.

It's not that you aren't capable of performing well, but maybe they don't want to deal any potential miscommunication down the line. Strong teams are strong because of good communication, verbal or otherwise.

There must be other groups on this server that might be a better fit to your needs. You just need to find the right group--or better yet, construct your own. Hypothetically, I'm sure you can sympathize with a PvP leader on an English-speaking realm who would choose an English speaker over one who only speaks Korean (assuming comparable skill level and they both have swell personalities).

Perhaps, find a group of people who don't own microphones.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I think it's more of a matter of him being called a liar over it.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Honestly it sounds like you got booted because the one guy either thought it'd be funny to troll you, or mistook you for someone else, saying he'd heard you talk up a storm in vent before. Then the people running the group chose to think you were lying and just didn't want to get in vent no matter how many times you said you're deaf irl. Chalk it up to that dude being a tool.

And I agree with the others, there are plenty of people who wouldn't care that you couldn't be on vent, and would still pvp with you anyways. Find them, you'll be much happier.

Yes, verbal communication is important for things that are happening within a split-second, but, if they can't take a couple seconds to type something out to you, they're just being lazy. It's a rated bg, how often will it occur that the leaders not being able to communicate something to you within one second cost your team the entire game?

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I BG with him sometimes and there's never a issue. I can hold my own to tell him to come help me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/29/2011 10:26 PMPosted by Sneezes
If you are deaf... why aren't you writing in sign language?

Real funny.. not.

01/30/2011 7:56 AMPosted by Rivellana

Yes, verbal communication is important for things that are happening within a split-second, but, if they can't take a couple seconds to type something out to you, they're just being lazy. It's a rated bg, how often will it occur that the leaders not being able to communicate something to you within one second cost your team the entire game?

Or, they could use macros, or specific PvP addons, yeah, I know that. It's just that I always wonder why there's bunch of people who think that deaf people can't read, or play online games. Perhaps they thought "deaf" is identical to blind. Still, it's true there's still great people out there, like Daywolf asked me for a rated BG, it's really nice, he know I'm damn good, 1 person out of 15 people who aren't on vent won't make any difference, and I could just follow other people and I could predict what they're going to do next.

Anyways, I got over with it, thanks guys. <3
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
he know I'm damn good

Real funny.. not.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Well Whitely, it could also be that it requires an extra amount of effort on their part to impart instructions both to you via typing, warning macros etc. and then also give those instructions to people over vent.

I myself, am TERRIBLE with on the fly instructions that are set over the chat frames because so much is being spammed through that it can be missed. especially when you're operating in cell groups for offense, defense, interference and what not. When managing that many people, it can get frustrating as well, where as arena you'd be capped at 5 and can probably know both your role and general strat by heart if you play enough together.

I'm sorry that you were doubted. but I also don't think they would have been willing to make the compromise if they had believed you. While your handicap might not affect your personal gameplay, it may handicap OTHER people's ability to effectively play with you. Which really sucks.

I will say I've pugged with whitely before, and he's a perfectly fine player.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Whitely, if you were Lateolocutus, you would've already said hi to me. Lol.

small guild on this server, though, Black Tooth Grin.

@Worthier.

Seeing as nobody on this server, or many servers on this battlegroup actually down content for the world first, there should be no reason whatsoever a deaf person is removed from a premade battleground or raid crawl, simply because deaf people can't hear, doesn't mean they can't read, heh. They can read a strat just as efficiently as a person who can hear vent.

Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
01/30/2011 7:38 PMPosted by Thandrend

@Worthier.

Seeing as nobody on this server, or many servers on this battlegroup actually down content for the world first, there should be no reason whatsoever a deaf person is removed from a premade battleground or raid crawl, simply because deaf people can't hear, doesn't mean they can't read, heh. They can read a strat just as efficiently as a person who can hear vent.

Oh I'm not saying he should be removed AT ALL. I'm just saying I can understand why someone might do so if he was deaf (for rated battlegrounds ONLY):
1) Their personal inability to type unique instructions on the fly to whitely.
2) Their unwillingness (and/or personal inability) to give instructions on the fly to whitely, AND instruct everyone else over vent.

I'm terrible about the above, because I have to focus on my role so much that it makes it difficult for me to give instructions. Which is also why I don't bother to lead, so it shouldn't be an issue that ever arises in the first place. The man has skills, he should be given a chance to prove himself before being booted. ESPECIALLY since he has appropriate gear.

For raids, it REALLY won't matter, because if im not mistaken he raids as ret, and there really is never a reason to call for panic strat switches over vent that would affect him dramatically. Anyone who kicks him from a PvE raid because he's deaf is just being ignorant or malicious.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Paladin
Too bad whitely is a douche, every encounter I've had with him he's been arrogant in some way shape or form.

Deaf or not, what goes around comes around.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
01/31/2011 4:48 AMPosted by Ephonix
Too bad whitely is a douche, every encounter I've had with him he's been arrogant in some way shape or form.

Deaf or not, what goes around comes around.

Says the lvl 1 alt who is too afraid to post their nasty comments on their main.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
Zen
I don't know you Whitely, but I am sorry you got hit with that bit of BS. It's a shame people cannot be more adult about such things.

Its a shame you can play with your deafness but others cannot. Hope you find a better group next time.. And hope if Carebear is right I don't have to pvp against you anytime soon. :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]