Guild- Gming

75 Tauren Death Knight
Whats it take to be a good GM I mean i Know Alot already from my past WoW Experience, But I finally am starting to wonder.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
You need to be kind of a jerk.

Edit: Seriously this time. Different types of guilds require different types of GM's. Some universal qualities of a good GM are dedication, patience, and the spare time to make sure you know enough about the raid encounters or battlegrounds your members will be depending on you to lead.
Edited by Veknilash on 1/30/2011 7:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
01/30/2011 7:27 PMPosted by Veknilash

You're main goal and focus should be the advancement of the guild as a whole, it whatever means the guild was made for, be it raiding, pvping, leveling, or anything else. Sometimes this means you're going to have to take into account the guild vs a single person for some reason. The simple truth is you can't please all the people all the time, and no one person is more important than the group, no matter who they are. And yes, because of this they will think you are a jerk, or a bad leader, but its the kind of decisions leaders need to make in all facets of life, not just wow gms.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
A good GM should also have a good support system of Officers below him/her, taking on everything yourself can be taxing and for alot of players ruins the experience so by being able to delegate out some tasks the GM can continue to enjoy the game as well.
Reply Quote
What it takes to be a good GM usually depends on the focus of your guild, as Koalachan said above. It also means often setting aside your own personal goals in order to move the whole guild forward and keep it stable. If you're the type of person who can't handle conflict, or want everyone in your guild to like you -- this probably isn't the role you want to fulfill -- because you'll be dealing with conflict regularly, and no matter how much you try to please all of your members - inevitably some will disagree with your approach and think you're a bad leader.

Patience, ability to diplomatically resolve conflicts, and being a good judge of character so you can pick strong officers are the main qualities I'd say are needed.

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
You need to know how to play EVERY class (and play them at their best), or you need to have a bunch of people under you who do, and can instruct the bad players on how to gear/gem/reforge/spec/perform. A lot of GMs are idiots, and don't know squat about the other classes outside of their own, which ALWAYS ends up hurting the guild. When your leadership is retarded, your entire raid is retarded.

When you're calling people out, you need to know exactly what they're doing wrong, and how they can fix it. After you've informed them about how they're wasting 9/24 other people's time with their stupidity, and have shown them how to fix the problem; the issue will either be fixed, or it wont. If it isn't fixed, /gkick them because garbage players who don't listen are a dime a dozen.

One more thing: Drama is Cancer

You need to be able to stamp out drama the second that crap starts happening, and mend any animosity your guild members may have towards one another if you plan on running a successful raid.
Reply Quote
83 Tauren Priest

Edit: Seriously this time. Different types of guilds require different types of GM's. Some universal qualities of a good GM are dedication, patience, and the spare time to make sure you know enough about the raid encounters or battlegrounds your members will be depending on you to lead.

This, because every bit of it is absolutely true. It's a common misinterpretation that guild leaders have to be generally nice people. A good guild leader can take an objective look at raid and party members and offer constructive criticism as needed. I phrased it like that for a reason, as a guild leader it's your job to look out for places where people can improve and at least attempt to help move them along in the right direction.

How you handle players that cannot or will not improve depends entirely on what sort of guild you are running, but the last thing you ever want to happen is for you to waste 9/24 other people's time by letting a bad apple slide by.

I think the toughest part of being a guild leader would have to be walking the fine line between being a friend and being a leader.

Here's a perfect example; have you ever had a job where you and your boss actually got a long pretty well? It makes going to work fun, and makes the whole team more productive. At the same time you have to know that he will do whatever it takes to make the business succeed, and if you get in the way or stop performing, he'll fire you....and rightly so.

Keeping those boundaries clear and open at all times is critical to maintaining your role as a guild leader. Be friends with guild mates, but not to the point where it jeopardizes your ability to run your guild. The hardest part about being a guild leader can be the gkick moment, but you have to drop the hammer quick and without hesitation so that everyone knows you can and will do what is in the best interest for the guild as a whole.

Just remember, this is your guild... and it's success or failure is going to depend on the decisions you've made along the way. But if you do it right, it can make your time spent in this or any other game much more rewarding in the long run.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Running a successful guild is not much different than general management in any small business. You need to have a clear goal of what you want to be, surround yourself with a good support team, be able to handle and mediate interpersonal relationships, apply discipline (both positive and negative), and most importantly - Have Fun!! In addition to the great comments you can check out the guide linked below (they are the same guide in a slightly different formats). Good luck to you. This can be some of the greatest experiences in WoW for you or the most miserable. We'll be here through all of it.

So you Want to be a Guild Leader:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1965574668
Edited by Zosima on 1/31/2011 10:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
83 Tauren Priest
01/31/2011 6:13 AMPosted by Zosima
Good luck to you. This can be some of the greatest experiences in WoW for you or the most miserable. We'll be here through all of it.

Quoted for truth... make sure you're in for the long haul BEFORE you buy the charter. Doing this thing right is a LOT of hard work, if you're going to take the plunge make sure you really want the responsibility. I've personally been through what Zosima mentioned here about it being the best or worst times you'll have in a game... Watching a guild that you've put so much into fall apart is miserable, just take some time analyze what went wrong and where, and move on.

Another thing I completely left out of my post before is the need for a good officer corps. A good guild leader can and should rely on their officers to run interference for them when needed. We all need some "me" time once in a while, and as a guild leader that can be a precious commodity. Your officers can help you out here, don't try to do everything for everyone, you'll burn out quick and that's never good.

Don't just promote people based on seniority, in fact I wouldn't even advertise what it takes to earn an officer promotion. Officers are people you have to trust implicitly to do the right thing when you aren't around. Sometimes it could be someone who has only been around for a few months, but has shown that they truly get what you're trying to do. Sometimes it's someone who just steps up and helps out with guild matters when you need it. Don't paint yourself into a corner where you feel like someone is owed an officer spot by stating promotion rules.

You also need to be open and honest with your officers about whether they are happy with their positions. Officers will burn out just like guild leaders, so try to have officer meetings every week or so to talk it out with these guys/girls. Make sure they are happy, let them voice ideas and suggestions as to how they would like to see things change. Don't just lean on them for help, give them buy in as to how the guild runs so that they become invested in the guild's overall success.

Last but not least, if you EVER have to spend time worrying about how your officers will handle things when you aren't around, you're doing it wrong. Don't be afraid to demote and/or lose an officer.... it can rock your boat, but sometimes it's necessary.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Whats it take to be a good GM yeah? Well first prior Leadership positions in real life would be most benificial. No not manager of McWendyQueen. Military, law, public service, etc... are most benificial. Next you need to make sure that you stick to one major plan for a guild(PVP, Hardcore Raid, Leveling, etc...). That doesnt mean you can ever do any of the others but your main focus will allow you to excede better in that area. Next is finance. You need to be able to control your guild bank with knowledge of everything that goes on with it. Also you need to be able to distribute things fairly umongst members. Last you need to establish a government. Decide on wether you want to be a democracy and everyone gets a vote, Dictatorship and no one gets a vote, or communism and everyone gets to vote but it dont count.

Personally I feel Blizzard should be the governing body over guilds and elect guild masters the same way they elect game masters. Have several different types of governments like lissted above and when you create a character you have to pick which government you want to join and then be placed in a guild apropriate to your choice. You can change to a different type of goverment the same way you would in real life by sending Blizzard thousands of paperwork and paying rediculous amounts of money for moving costs and visas. This would fix so much wrong with this game.

Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Ive been a GM for a few years and delt with everything from deaths to drama. The one best single piece of advice I can give ya is - Learn how to keep your mouth shut.

Dont be ashamed to occasionally pull the "sorry nobody home please leave a message after the..." lol you think I'm joking but you would be surprised how many thing will blow over quickly and smoothly if just left alone.
:;
Afterall you are much too busy to speak with everyone right? ;)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest

I agree with this! And while it is not always the case, even the "you need to be kind of a jerk" part is true at times.

A good GM, in my opinion, takes the needs of the guild as a whole into higher consideration than the needs of one player. They are dedicated to the goals of the guild and do their best to make sure that the players they recruit have the same focus, whether that be raiding, leveling, getting achievements, etc.

At times being the leader of a guild can seem much more like a second (or third) "job", but the rewards are often great and fulfulling. It is much hard work and is not for everyone. It is truely something you have to want and, in some sense, love doing. Your members will see your dedication and hard work and will respect you for it.

One of the most important lessons I learned when I first formed my guild is that, as GM, you cannot do everything alone. Good officers will do wonders for your stress level and for keeping things going when you can't be there.

Good luck!
Edited by Raiyyn on 2/1/2011 7:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
One more thing: Drama is Cancer

You need to be able to stamp out drama the second that crap starts happening, and mend any animosity your guild members may have towards one another if you plan on running a successful raid.

There really needs to be a guide on this forum dedicated to recognizing, classifying, and dealing with drama. It is the arch enemy of all guild leaders.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]