[Guide] Getting Members to Your Guild Website

(Sticky)

89 Blood Elf Paladin
To Nellishus: I followed the model you posted, and it worked great! Now we have only 7 of our 50 or so members not registered on our website, up from only 7 or so registered.

We run a bi-weekly drawing for a small gold prize that is open only to registered members. To further encourage website attendance, we post details on any important guild happenings on the site, and anyone asking about the information there is referred to the site instead of being given the answer. On top of that, your promotions- nomally based on level and time in the guild- are put on hold untill you register on the site.

What we tried and found ineffective was to demote existing members every bi-weekly meeting who had not registered. This caused a lot of attrition, as you may expect, and I definitely reccommend against doing so.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
As a guild leader and programmer I tried to follow this guide
check out the site www.thaidragoon.com
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I could never get huge traffic to my current guild's website. So we started a facebook private group, and have had a lot of success with it.
The main thing that gets people to sign up for it is 1) we have all info about our weekly guild lottery there and 2) contests we have that you have to post screenshots for.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Great Guide--I would also like to add with what I do for my guild, when a new person is invited to the guild they are an "Apprentice of the Light". An Apprentice has no access to anything whatsoever except for guild chat.

I tell them "Register on our website and post in the new members forum giving an introduction about yourself and you will be promoted to Seeker of the Light."

This usually gets people registered as they now have access to guild stuffs :]
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Same here as well.... So much more response with a guild Facebook page.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What are some great additions that a person can use to add to their custom website. Like how do u add what players your searching for?
Reply Quote
72 Human Death Knight
cool
Reply Quote

It's the same for my guild. I ended up getting an application like RSS Grafitti that posts all my news updates from the guild website onto the Facebook page. That's been working a treat so far.

Exactly how would you set that up? Are you using a guild website service like guild portal or guildzilla?

My guild only has a facebook page, but facebook can only do so much. I would like to set up a website for kill screenshots, apps, and other odds and ends that facebook doesn't do... but as we all know, getting guildies onto the website is always a bit of a pain in the backside.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Good article, but:

I've been a guild master since 2005, have run guilds with hundreds of players, NOTE TO BLIZZ: Player / subscriber retention is a direct result of player involvement / player interest level. An active guild produces interested players, an active guild is a product of good leadership, good leadership is a product of good communication. Over the past 7 years I used to use ingame mail (Bulk mail / mass mail addons) to accomplish this but the new mail cap of 25 mails has killed my ability to effectively communicate with my membership and Blizz has put no good replacement or alternative in place.

Yes there is MOD, Guild Calendar, but there is zero space to communicate what is needed to keep a good guild informed and active, plus nobody reads it normally, and nothing is as or will be as effective as ingame mail was. Sure you can put up a web site and I have, but despite what you do, the readership is low and nothing can replace the immediacy of ingame mail.

I cannot believe that if Blizz can pull off the guild leveling perks (which is fantastic) that they cannot figure out a way for a GM or it's officers to effectively communicate with it's membership in game if the player is not currently online. I have put in tickets and get the same lip service ...."yes but the spammers". Sorry but I fail to believe that with Blizz's budget that they cannot write smarter filters or devise another ingame system to keep members informed. Effective communication leads to a more cohesive guild, which leads to a more active guild which ultimately results in subscriber retention.

Frankly I'm about ready to chuck it as it seems that Blizz is headed down the same path Everquest did, the focus is on profit, vanity pets and eventually Blizz will be selling gold in it's online store before it fizzes out.
Edited by Yopriest on 2/14/2012 8:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Hummm, some very useful info.... thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
We recently added a facebook page for our guild site.With a link to the guild site.

It covers a lot of the lazyness, and its also nice to have the extra venue to spread info. It does show real names, but as long as no one identifies who their in game toons are. it hasn't been an issue for us.

we link funny wow related videos, info from battle.net . mmochampion. w/e
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
This guide is awesome. I switched from enjin to wowstead. I grew to dislike Enjin and wowstead made it easier. I also put the link in the MOTD and recruit macros. I also started an FB page since I am a Facebook addict and I can post funny status
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I am using FB since I happen to be a major FB addict but I use the website as well.. I had bad experiences recruiting without one and I have made it mandatory to go to it.. Anyone who doesn't like it or think it's too much more than likely is pure laziness. at least to me. I like to know a bit about the people we invite
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
So started a Facebook network for guild recruitment for all servers so people can go on there to find some info on other guilds, post for recruitment, and other wow ventures.

hopefully it catches on quick all are welcome to use the sight to promote your guild, share advice, and post anything wow related. Hopefully we get alot of support for the sight.

Link below:

https://www.facebook.com/lookingforguild
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Over the past few months we have done our best to revamp our website. It works really well for us and the url has been in use since 2004-2005. Because of this site we all will most likely continue playing games long after many of us leave wow. I hope the example helps!

www.trivial-guild.com

We started with an e107 based site and are now using Drupal7. It requires a lot of dev work and admin but we have skilled members doing that. We did try enjin.com and looked at many others during a time of transition but felt like we preferred the open sandbox of Drupal better.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/27/2011 06:12 PMPosted by Aurria
Great Guide--I would also like to add with what I do for my guild, when a new person is invited to the guild they are an "Apprentice of the Light". An Apprentice has no access to anything whatsoever except for guild chat.

I tell them "Register on our website and post in the new members forum giving an introduction about yourself and you will be promoted to Seeker of the Light."

This usually gets people registered as they now have access to guild stuffs :]

Very nice idea!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]