How do you level up so quickly?!

(Locked)

85 Dwarf Paladin
I'm in a guild with a bunch of 85's and i just had to friends get to lvl 70 in 2weeks. I've been playing for nearly 3weeks now and my highest is this 31 paladin. It's not like they're using techniques that i can't use, right? So how do people manage to lvl up so fast?? D:
89 Tauren Hunter
In the last expansion, gear was introduced that provides leveling experience bonuses. Some players have multiples of these items equipped, raising their experience bonus up around 20% per kill/quest in some cases. You have to be at least level 80 to get this gear, and it is not cheap. It is "bind on account" (or BoA) so players can send it to any of their characters on one realm.

Also, doing a lot of battlegrounds and/or dungeons as opposed to spending more time questing will significantly speed up the leveling process.
Edited by Wolfar on 2/2/2011 6:42 AM PST
I've leveled this guy to level 70 in about 3 weeks. Granted, I did have a Refer-a-Friend bonus active (3 times the experience while questing/dungeoning with your buddy), but I also made multiple alts while my buddy wasnt online.

So:
-Quest like crazy, use the Call To Arms boards to learn where your best bet for quests are
-Always sit around in the dungeon que: If your not questing, your in a dungeon, and vice versa
-Possibly bring a friend around while your leveling, especially on the "Kill 30 Creature" quests. Another player speeds things up a lot. The gathering quests can be a pain while with a friend, so while doing those I generally leave the party.
-Be efficient! Dont do 1 quest in Kalimdor, then 1 quest in the Eastern Kingdoms. If you have quests that are in the same zone, or even overlap, do them all before turning the ones you might have finished in.

85 Orc Warrior
Be in a queue for both BG's and Dungeons while doing quest. You get a load of exp if your faction wins BG's.
90 Night Elf Druid
"Two weeks" is a meaningless measure, because that could mean anything from around 4 to 220 hours of playing time. To level quickly, focus on one character, keep doing stuff (quests, dungeons and battlegrounds all help you level, sitting and chatting or going into queue and waiting around don't), and play at least as much time as the other guy is.
85 Draenei Paladin
"Two weeks" is a meaningless measure, because that could mean anything from around 4 to 220 hours of playing time...

Bingo. Karamoone nailed it.

To help us give you a little bit better advice: Type "/played" (without the quotes) into your chat line in-game, and report back what you get for total time played. The system should say something like: "Total time played is 2 days 8 hours 31 minutes... time spent at this level (unimportant info)..." Which is about 56.5 hours played. I would expect you, if you are a new player, to ding 32 at ROUGHLY 40 to 60 hours. This number is highly variable, depending on a lot of things; and a lower number is not necessarily better.

~IF~ you are interested in leveling as quickly as possibly (and not smelling the roses along the way, so to speak) then there are some things you can do to speed the journey. The following bits of advice, in roughly decreasing order of importance, will generally help. (NOTE: Advice on BoAs is not generally usable by new players; that is, players who have never leveled a toon to max level.)

1.) RaF, if you can (for the 300% leveling XP).
2.) Always log out in an Inn or inside a major city (for the 200% rested killing XP).
3.) Take ~NO~ professions until you ding 85.
4.) If determined to ignore advice in 3., then take only gathering professions unitl 85.
5.) Quest. Use quest hubs and take multiple simultaneous quests.
6.) Do not farm, explore, chat, play the AH, or anything else but quest (and LFDs/BGs).
7.) If DPS and doing LFD randoms, quest while in queue.
8.) Roll a banking alt, and mail your mains auctionable items to it.
9.) Equip at least two +10% XP BoAs. (gives +21% XP).
10.) Join a guild with both fast track perks = +10% XP (should be easy to do).
11.) Equip non-XP BoAs in other slots.

Doing as many of the +XP things in combination, gives best bonuses. The RaF bonus does not stack with any other bonus, but the other bonuses do stack, or rather, multiply. So one +10% XP gives you +10% (as expected), but two +10% BoAs gives you 1.1 x 1.1 = 1.21 XP, which is a 21% bonus. Multiply in another 10% bonus to get to 1.331 = a +33% bonus. If rested, that would give 2 x 1.331 = 2.662 = +166% bonus for killing XP.

Being rested and having the +XP BoAs and being in a Fast track x2 guild results in extremely fast leveling. 266% XP (killing only) is not too far away from the 300% RaF, when in a dungeon (where virtually all XP is killing XP). My level 31 Worgen, on at least three different occasions, has dinged level TWICE in ONE random run.
Edited by Oxx on 2/2/2011 10:47 AM PST
90 Troll Druid
If you don't have RaF or BoA gear. Try doing BGs and Instances while you quest. That way you get maximum experience.
85 Dwarf Paladin
Wow, thanks for the good advice everyone, especially Oxx.
my play time on the paladin is 29 hours and 20 minutes.

Do BG's really give a lot of experience, i usually get killed by all those twinked toons that the pro people make :[
85 Tauren Druid
02/02/2011 3:48 PMPosted by Lagerfeldta
Do BG's really give a lot of experience, i usually get killed by all those twinked toons that the pro people make :[

The best advice I can offer is to do the x0 to x4 brackets in BGs, and skip the x5 to x9 bracket.

The old brackets were x0 to x9 and a lot of veteran players don't know that. They are used to skipping BGs during the lowest levels of the bracket since the those at the higher end had such a huge advantage with levels.

This means that you'll be grouped with more new players if you queue between level x0 and x4, leveling the playing field a bit. :)

So, for example, since you are level 31, this would fall into the 30 to 34 bracket and a perfect time to queue for a BG. Once you hit level 35 to 39, you may want to run dungeons instead. Then do BGs again around 40 to 44.

In addition, in BGs, stick with the other players. If you go off by yourself, you will get killed quickly be the opposite faction. Work with your team and stick near them and you'll get killed less.
84 Night Elf Druid
The one other thing that helps speed leveling is familiarity with the game. Even when the quests are new, many of the structures have remained the same, and experience makes a big difference.
90 Night Elf Druid
02/02/2011 3:48 PMPosted by Lagerfeldta
Wow, thanks for the good advice everyone, especially Oxx.
my play time on the paladin is 29 hours and 20 minutes.

Keep in mind it's not unusual for the very first character to take longer. Chances are good the people you're talking about are on at *least* their second character. If you're going through everything the first time around, you're probably taking more time - you don't already know the leveling path, where all the quest hubs, quest mobs, trainers, flight paths, towns are. People who've been playing a long time take all that information for granted.

If you're in a mad rush to get to 85 and join the fray, you can do that - kill every mob in your path, even if you've killed enough/gotten enough livers, eyeballs, tails, hooves for your quest. Pick up gathering professions (herbing and mining give xp now and it adds up). Avoid, as someone else said, standing around and chatting - those two things eat up more of my /played than anything else.

If you just feel weirded out that people are shooting past you, but you want to see Azeroth and what's out there, then take it easy and quest at your leisure. I'd still say quest or go mining or something productive while you're in a queue, though.
90 Night Elf Druid

The best advice I can offer is to do the x0 to x4 brackets in BGs, and skip the x5 to x9 bracket.

So, for example, since you are level 31, this would fall into the 30 to 34 bracket and a perfect time to queue for a BG. Once you hit level 35 to 39, you may want to run dungeons instead. Then do BGs again around 40 to 44.

In addition, in BGs, stick with the other players. If you go off by yourself, you will get killed quickly be the opposite faction. Work with your team and stick near them and you'll get killed less.

Excellent advice!

Also, fight on the flag, not on the road. That will make sense soon, if it doesn't already. If you're not healing, protect the few, the disheartened, the healers. You keep them alive, they will die keeping *you* alive out of pure appreciation.
85 Night Elf Hunter
I've had this guy for about 3 days i think. Only played for two of the days. I play 6 hours a day on Fridays,Saturdays, and Sundays. I usually use the Call to Arms boards and quest in the area while im waiting for an Instance. Pretty fast lvling. 1-20 doing quest/instance(15-19) in Darkshore.20-30 questing and instances in Wetlands. Ran around getting flightpoints all around the dang place at lvl 30 because quite frankly i was bored. Then currently did 30-2 in Arathi Highlands then moved on to the Hinterlands. Hinterlands is quite easy as im mostly done with the quests. Probably check where to go next on Friday.
85 Night Elf Druid
I can tell you something that might help you feel a bit better, Lagerfeldta. :) My first character I leveled? It took me a year and a half to get to level 58. I'm dead serious. I ran around exploring the world a lot, picked bunches of flowers and skinned stuff like crazy. This was also back when leveling was slow anyway, but yeah...

So you're doing just fine. :)

And to add, my fastest 1-60 leveling time pre-Cataclysm was 29 days, and that was with special heirloom gear and 5ish years of experience playing under my belt.

Don't worry how fast others are leveling, take your time and enjoy it. You only experience the game for the first time once!
9 Night Elf Hunter
i want to lvl fast but this is a trial account ha
31 Troll Druid
how the heck do people level up so fast
85 Gnome Warrior
Necroing is bad for you.
90 Troll Hunter
More time playing, less time finding months-old forum threads.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]