Need help with "Focus"

85 Undead Rogue
I mainly play this rogue, and primarily PVP. I love it. But I feel like I read a lot about "focus macros" and stuff, but I have no idea what focus truly is, or how to utilize it.

Any help in the right direction on this? Thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
A "focus" is a secondary target.

When someone is set up as a focus, they get their own little target box in your UI. You can then macro your ability that if you use a certain key combination (depending on how the macro is set up), it'll use that ability on your focus instead of your target.

For example, this is a macro I had when I used to play a mage:

/cast [button:2, target=focus] [] Polymorph(Rank 1: Turtle)
/focus [nobutton:2]

With the above macro, if I left clicked on the ability, it would cast sheep (or in this case turtle) on my target. If I right-clicked, It would cast sheep on my focus target.

With this, I could keep an eye on my focus without needing to target them, to see when sheep would break and re-sheep them. And it wouldn't interrupt my dps on my target and I wouldn't risk accidentally breaking sheep by pewpewing them by accident since none of my damage abilities would go to the focus.

Also, with the above macro, if I targeted something, and right-clicked instead of left, it would set that target as my focus (and cast sheep on it unless I was out of range or moved to cancel the cast).

You can change the above macro to work for you. Just change the name of the ability you want to use, such as Sap or Blind. And change the button you want to use it with.
Edited by Selenic on 2/2/2011 5:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
89 Tauren Hunter
A use for a subtlety rogue -- in a dungeon, although I know you said you mostly PvP on that toon -- would be to make a macro to shadowstep to the target of your focus and then do your opening attack. When you enter the dungeon, make the tank your focus. Then you'd use your macro throughout the run.

Reply Quote
As Selenic said, Focus is a secondary target separate from your primary target.

In other words, putting someone (a player) or something (a mob/boss) as your focus target will allow you to effectively have 2 different things targeted at the same time. It can also allow you to cast a spell or ability on an enemy or party member without having to switch targets at all.
Reply Quote
14 Gnome Rogue
For rogue PvP, you're at least going to need Focus macros for: Redirect, Blind, Gouge, Kick and Shadowstep. There will be others you will want to work in eventually, once you are comfortable with using the focus system, but those are the big ones.
Reply Quote
I am playing as a human hunter
I couldn't find a way to increases my focus
can some one tell me how it work as hunter
Reply Quote
31 Worgen Hunter
There is no way to make your Focus go past the 100/100 line, Dhamupriya.

However, if you use Steady Shot in between your Focus-costing attacks, you will gain it back at I believe 9 Focus a shot.
Reply Quote
ok thank you
so now I will stop wasteing my time lol
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
02/04/2011 7:54 AMPosted by Dhamupriya
I am playing as a human hunter
I couldn't find a way to increases my focus
can some one tell me how it work as hunter

This is a different type of Focus. There is a focus target (a secondary target that anyone can use) and a Focus resource used by hunters and their pets.

In the Beast Mastery talent tree, there is a talent that will increase your total focus by 5 or 10 points (5 Focus for each point, up to 2 points or 10 Focus). Beyond that, there isn't a way to increase your maximum focus. If you are looking to increase your focus regeneration, you can look for talents that generate focus (the BM line has talents that give you 6 focus from pet critical hits). Haste as a stat also inceases focus regeneration rate. And the BM line has an on-use 50 focus ability.
Reply Quote
How do you focus on something?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
right click on the portrait of who you want your focus to be on and select Set Focus
Reply Quote
Thanks. I knew it had to be something obvious but that has always escaped me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/07/2011 8:28 AMPosted by Dasffion
right click on the portrait of who you want your focus to be on and select Set Focus

If you're using any kind of unit frames addon though, you may need to manually type the command /focus in order to place a focus on the target.

- Corylyn/Wynnoa, Wyrmrest Accord
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
For DPS: I set the focus to the tank and have an attack macro setup to target my focus's target and turn on autoattack. For a hunter, I have 2 macros: one sets the target without turning on autoattack. The other macro starts autoattack.

For Heals (on my pally): I set the focus to the tank and have some macros of my healing spells setup to automatically heal the focus, and hence, keep my own target on the boss (throw a judgement on the boss, while healing the tank without changing targets).

like this:

#showtooltip Holy Shock
/cast [target=focus] Holy Shock
Edited by Erastus on 2/7/2011 1:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
62 Blood Elf Paladin
say like your in a battleground versing two people and you decide to poly one and u need to set a focus for them is there a fast way to do this? or say like in the arenas
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
06/30/2011 04:50 PMPosted by Oldsusan
say like your in a battleground versing two people and you decide to poly one and u need to set a focus for them is there a fast way to do this? or say like in the arenas

The answer isn't "necropost a dead thread from February," of that much I'm certain. To set a focus target, you can either target something then right-click it and select "Set Focus" or target something then type /focus in the chat box.
Reply Quote
06/30/2011 04:50 PMPosted by Oldsusan

Not by necroing old threads.

Try this though. I haven't tested it.

#showtooltip Polymorph
/focus [target=focus,noexists] [target=focus,dead]
/cast [target=focus,exists,nodead] Polymorph

"Below is a macro that sets your current target as your focus if there is a) no focus is already set or b) your current focus is dead. It then casts a spell using your focus as the target of the spell. Subsequent invocations will remember your focus and continue to cast the spell on that mob as long as it is alive. If you have no target and your current focus is dead, your focus will be cleared."
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
#showtooltip Polymorph

You can actually change the "target=focus" part to "@focus" and combine the conditions.

/focus [@focus,noexists,dead]
/cast [@focus,exists,nodead] Polymorph

That -should- work, though I'm not logged in and can't test it right now.
Reply Quote
#showtooltip Polymorph

You can actually change the "target=focus" part to "@focus" and combine the conditions.

/focus [@focus,noexists,dead]
/cast [@focus,exists,nodead] Polymorph

That -should- work, though I'm not logged in and can't test it right now.
A small correction:[this condition,AND this one]
[this condition][OR this one]

Currently your macro will only set a new focus if the current one doesn't exist (noexists) AND does exist and is dead (dead). Obviously something can't exist and not exist at the same time, so that will always return false and hence never change the focus.

/focus [@focus,noexists][@focus,dead]
/use [@focus,exists,nodead]Polymorph

This changes your focus if your current focus doesn't exist (noexists) OR if it does exist and is dead (dead).

/use is a shorter alias of /cast.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Currently your macro will only set a new focus if the current one doesn't exist (noexists) AND does exist and is dead (dead). Obviously something can't exist and not exist at the same time, so that will always return false and hence never change the focus.

This is why I shouldn't post after the coffee has run out. Thanks for the catch :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]