"One that Didn't Get Away" achieve. Tips?

85 Goblin Shaman
Hey all,

I'm one achieve shy of my "salty" title. Unfortunately, it's the above-named achievement, which looks like it requires me to fish ad nauseum in random spots throughout Azeroth hoping against hope for a rare fish to be hooked.

Any experienced anglers have tips as to where the best place to farm this achieve is? Much obliged.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
since you are horde it may be problematic but I got my 15 pound mudfish snapper by fishing in the lake near goldshire inn. Just fish for 5 hours straight. That is my "tip"
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I caught the 15 Pound Mud Snapper in Stonebull Lake in Mulgore. I tried catching the Dark Herring for hours and hours (maybe 4000 or 5000 caught fish in total?) and eventually gave up. A few weeks later I randomly though "hey, what the heck" and I tried Stonebull Lake. Maybe 300 or 400 casts later I had it.

It's just random. It sucks. My strategy was to focus on fishing for the Dark Herring because I could work on completing multiple achievements at once ("That's a lot of Bait!" "Turtles All the Way Down" and "One that Didn't Get Away") - but it didn't end up working out that way.

I've won both fishing tournaments and probably caught 20,000 fish across my account but Old Crafty and Old Ironjaw still elude me. RNG is RNG.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
I've gotten like 5 Dark Herrings. Still want to get my turtle. Random streak generator sucks.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
02/03/2011 4:10 PMPosted by Stark
I've gotten like 5 Dark Herrings. Still want to get my turtle. Random streak generator sucks.

The two are at odds for each other. The random fish need to come from open waters. The turtle only comes from Northrend or higher pools.

For the turtle, I suggest fishing the guppies in Twilight Highlands, the Mudfish in the rivers of Uldum or Fathom Eels along the coast of Uldum.

I also received the Tome of Polymorph: Turtle from a fishing pool in Uldum.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I remember this one. I ended up going to a pool in shadowglen in tredrassil and got it within an hour or 2. Way easier then the one rare fish I tried to go for.
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
I went to the STV fishing tournament one day last year...or year before (can't remember - traumatic memory repression). Some rare rockfish came out of a tasty fish pool.

Didn't win the tourney but rare achievement was a nice consolation. Then I killed a same level rogue who jumped me while my fishing pole was equipped (me is a shadow priest). Forgot all about the disappointing fishing tournament.

Was a good day. =)

Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
02/03/2011 5:29 PMPosted by Sorelai

The two are at odds for each other. The random fish need to come from open waters. The turtle only comes from Northrend or higher pools.

For the turtle, I suggest fishing the guppies in Twilight Highlands, the Mudfish in the rivers of Uldum or Fathom Eels along the coast of Uldum.

I also received the Tome of Polymorph: Turtle from a fishing pool in Uldum.

I am quite certain I got the dark herring from pools of herring in northrend while catching them for a priest guildmate. I got the turtle fishing for dragonfin for a paladin tank friend. I am certain both o these were from pools. Unless my aim is totally off, and multiple tournament wins would suggest to me it's not, the dark herring and indeed rare fish for the achievement need not come from open water.

I also got a tome of poly turtle from fishing in uldum. I hear they drop throughout cata zones in pools probably but idk there. Good stuff. Basically if you can work on 2 achievements at once while fishing, you're doing pretty well.
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
Unfortunately poly turtle tome price dropped big time. People used to farm ZG for that. Dunno why the price dropped (think there are other polymorphs that come from glyphs?) but they're only for your or your alt mage amusement.

Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
FoE
Fishing in one of the lakes in a starting zone is probably the easiest, and will get you the above mentioned 15lb mudsnapper. I honestly got that one myself lvling fishing, and i know i got it before i hit 300 skill. Hopefully it wont take you too long.

P.S. If you happen to catch a "bloated" fish, make sure to loot it, as youll need it for the limnologist achievement.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
02/03/2011 5:29 PMPosted by Sorelai

Dark Herrings also come from herring schools in Howling Fjord. I've caught 3 of them there while I've been trying to get the turtle and/or win the derby.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
I caught the 15lb mudfish but i didn't get the achieve. :(
I just looked and it is not on the one that got away acheive list :'(

Though i caught old crafty while doing a fishing daily. tee hee

Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I got my 15 pound Mudfish in a lake in Dun Morogh after 5 hours spent there and probably around 8 hours fishing in the Elf starting zone. I swear I almost cried when I saw the achievement pop up.
Edited by Fraisie on 2/4/2011 7:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
The one I caught was Dark Herring, while fishing for my turtle at the same time. It took forever, but I finally got it by circling the island in Howling Fjord and hitting all the fishing schools there. It seems there is a constant supply of fishing schools around that island.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Strangely enough "The One That Didn't Away" was one of the the first fishing achievement I got on my druid. Usually it's the last one people need for the fishing meta. I got mine fishing in the wetlands for oily blackmouth to level my alchemy. I saw the achievement looked at the Steelscale Crushfish and thought 'what in the world am I going to do with a mace that looks like a fish?' I was still new to the game at the time.

It wasn't until many months later that Iactually went about completing the meta. Keep fishing. RNG is RNG. This hunter recently caught the 15 Pound Mud Snapper while doing the fishing daily in Stormwind. I may try for Salty on a second toon.

Edited by Jadziadax on 2/4/2011 11:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Thanks for the replies all.

I've already got my turtle, so no real point fishing pools in Howling Fjord (got the poly:turtle recently in a Tol Barad node, so no point in farming that either).

Sounds like short of that the best option is to go for the 15 pound Mud Snapper in a starting zone. Can anyone confirm that it's possible to fish this up in Org? I'd love to at least have trade chat to keep me company while I fish until my eyes bleed.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Regarding catching a 15 Pound Mud Snapper in Orgrimmar, I would not count on it. The highest chances that I've heard for it are in Elwynn Forest's Crystal Lake (where I caught mine, after about 900 casts), and Mulgore's Stonebull Lake.

To Oriazmo: note that there are 10lb and 12lb variants of the Mud Snapper, which are not relevant for the achievement; might you have caught one of those?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I caught the 15 Pound Mud Snapper in Stonebull Lake in Mulgore. I tried catching the Dark Herring for hours and hours (maybe 4000 or 5000 caught fish in total?) and eventually gave up. A few weeks later I randomly though "hey, what the heck" and I tried Stonebull Lake. Maybe 300 or 400 casts later I had it.

Yeah, it's totally random. I've been fishing in Stonebull lake for more than a year! (not kidding) off and on.

I've fished over 10k items, they no longer get added. I've fished for hours, more than 400 casts at a time, never seen the 15 pound mudsnapper. I've had dozens and dozens of other 10 and 12 pound snappers.

Looks like i should try north rend again, i've not tried there in a few months!

still searching for the one that got away and the Salty title.. so sassy that salty title
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]