Selling In-Game Time for Gold?

(Locked)

90 Tauren Druid
Recently, I saw somebody selling a 60-day time code for gold. I, questioning his sanity, told him that it was against the Terms of Service, and that he would likely get banned. He insisted otherwise. He said that since he was simply selling the code, not the physical card, that it would not be considered "real world trading", so he wouldn't get banned. I did a bit of research regarding blue posts on the matter, hoping to know Blizzard's policy on this case, but to no avail. Each side of the argument quoted and linked blue posts that seemed to justify either selling time codes being or against the Terms of Service.

Blues, I would like an end-all answer to this issue. Is selling a time CARD for in-game gold legal? And, if not, is selling a time CODE for in-game gold legal?
90 Tauren Shaman
It is entered out of game, so you cannot sell or buy it for gold. The End. There is no argument either way.
MVP - Customer Support
90 Tauren Druid
This question has been answered many times.

If the code is entered or redeemed on a webpage, it is an out-of-game item. Out-of-game items may not be exchanged for in-game currency (gold) or services. This applies to game time codes, pet store codes, and the TCG codes printed on the physical cards (among other things).
Community Manager
02/03/2011 8:45 PMPosted by Ferkus
It is entered out of game, so you cannot sell or buy it for gold. The End. There is no argument either way.

If the code is entered or redeemed on a webpage, it is an out-of-game item. Out-of-game items may not be exchanged for in-game currency (gold) or services. This applies to game time codes, pet store codes, and the TCG codes printed on the physical cards (among other things).

Both quoted for blue. >^.^<

Game time, under no circumstances, is considered anything but an out of game item. It is redeemed out of game, it is not tangible in-game, it cannot be traded in-game. There is no "grant x player 30 days of game time" button, or lucky BOE item that grants game time to your character. It's an item of out of game monetary value, and should not be traded for in-game gold.
90 Gnome Mage
It shouldn't be traded, or it is strictly against the rules to be traded?

If it is against the rules, what are the consequences?
MVP - Customer Support
90 Tauren Druid
07/07/2011 10:13 PMPosted by Cleonan

The latter.

07/07/2011 10:13 PMPosted by Cleonan

Permanent account closure.

Please don't necro threads if you have questions; it's far better to create a new one.
"As with other situations, the key seems to be giving Jayne a heavy stick and standing back." -- Inara
85 Dwarf Paladin

Strictly against the rules. I wouldn't push the question any further by bumping a dead and answered thread on the topic... I already received at least 1 forum suspension for a similar question.

Consequences up to and including account ban. You would be trading real money objects for gold. Therefore buying gold.
90 Tauren Shaman
I don't see why its against the rules Everyone benefits from it. Blizz gets paid for the time. Person gets gold and the player gets playtime. Everyone wins....... i understand buying gold part but still no harm is caused and once again "Everyone Benefits"
Edited by Cometcow on 2/29/2012 6:21 PM PST
50 Tauren Druid
02/29/2012 06:21 PMPosted by Cometcow
I don't see why its against the rules Everyone benefits from it. Blizz gets paid for the time. Person gets gold and the player gets playtime. Everyone wins....... i understand buying gold part but still no harm is caused and once again "Everyone Benefits"

Besides the fact this would encourage people to scam other people, this would lead to other things out of game, being sold for gold.

I really don't want criminal organization selling me stuff.

Currently EVERY SINGLE time somebody advertises to trade you something outside of the game for gold its a scam. Blizzard does not get their money, the person giving the gold for the item, eventually loses the item and the gold, so how on earth can you say "everyone" wins when the only people who win are the criminal scum and cheaters of the world?
Edited by Pailamaha on 2/29/2012 6:26 PM PST
80 Gnome Rogue
AnW
02/29/2012 06:21 PMPosted by Cometcow
Blizz gets paid for the time.

No it doesn't. The time is usually bought with stolen credit cards and once the owner of the card discovers the theft they issue a chargeback. So Blizzard doesn't get paid.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]