What's better dps for cata? frost or unholy?

85 Blood Elf Death Knight
about to ding to 85 on my dk, was curious which dps is tops atm, frost or unholy, also dual wield or 2 handers.

also keep in mind i'll be in quest gear, so which is better for lv 85 dungeons, then heroic dungeons, and then finally raids, if 1 spec is better later on as gear develops or something.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Unholy - 2H. Frost is so much work that it's almost not worth it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
play what you have fun with, they both do good.
Reply Quote
i kind of want to do dual wielding frost b/c i wanted to do that in wotlk some, but it wasn't that viable for a while cept in top raiding gear.

also it seems from other posts that its better dps later on.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
DW frost is no where near 2H Unholy at pretty much every equivalent gear level in any practical encounter (excluding ones where you are spamming AoE).

It's not far enough behind that it's not viable though, DW Frost is a middle of the pack spec with the majority of other class DPS specs.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I prefer DW frost myself but unholy is king right now.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
At the moment DW frost is just above ret pally in terms of dps. aka crap. you have nice burst, the top aoe, and great utility via kiting, interupting, raid buffs (4% increased damage and 10% haste).

also, it's so much more fun to play.
Edited by Nashiq on 2/4/2011 11:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
What about 2H Frost, how does it compare to 2H Unholy?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
2h frost is currently 10% behind any other DK dps spec. after the patch it will be on par with DW frost. but still far below unholy.
Reply Quote
would dw frost be better 4 heroics since most of it is trash pulls and people are aoe'ing more and cc'ing less?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
a good unholy DK can do almost as much aoe, and much more single. glyphed DND is pretty good.

i love frost and i play frost when i'm not tanking... but unholy is just stages above in almost everything.

frost aoe is also getting a nerf.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
three days ago I dinged 85 and solo queued for first random heroic. It was BRC in progress at the third boss. I was worried. Few minutes later, I find that I did 24k dps on that fight with only quest items, crafted weapon and crafted belt. I mean I know there's a damage buff but come on, I was ilvl 330.

then two nights ago the guild did SFK. The lvl350 dps were thoroughly disgusted by how stupidly OPed unholy is. The truth though is I was more angry than anybody else, because wasted two months gearing up a ret pally AND a fury warrior, and now they look like waste of ilevel350
Reply Quote
Unholy is much more fun then dw frost simply because you play in unholy presence. I honestly can't stand playing in frost presence O_O

02/04/2011 2:30 PMPosted by Lobstertail
three days ago I dinged 85 and solo queued for first random heroic. It was BRC in progress at the third boss. I was worried. Few minutes later, I find that I did 24k dps on that fight with only quest items, crafted weapon and crafted belt. I mean I know there's a damage buff but come on, I was ilvl 330.

then two nights ago the guild did SFK. The lvl350 dps were thoroughly disgusted by how stupidly OPed unholy is. The truth though is I was more angry than anybody else, because wasted two months gearing up a ret pally AND a fury warrior, and now they look like waste of ilevel350

You do much better then other classes with heroism burst also. ive hit 30k in heroic bosses just by starting the fight with dark transformation and getting heroism+unholymight+trinket+gargoyle :o
Edited by Decêit on 2/4/2011 3:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
02/04/2011 3:02 PMPosted by Decêit
Unholy is much more fun then dw frost simply because you play in unholy presence. I honestly can't stand playing in frost presence O_O

first time i've seen anyone say unholy is more fun. it's boring as hell!
Reply Quote
02/04/2011 3:03 PMPosted by Nashiq

first time i've seen anyone say unholy is more fun. it's boring as hell!

To be honest ive played this game for 3 years and ive played every spec of every class at least at level 80. This game's pve is so mind numbing dull if I had to do it for a living i'd probley blow my brains out.

However. Going super fast while attacking stuff makes it more fun then other specs who go super duper slow.

Such as OBLITERATE. Wait 1.5 seconds. OBLITERATE instead your going SCOURGE STRIKE Wait 1 second SCOURGE STRIKE
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
it's the reacting to split second procs that makes it fun to me. constantly monitoring if i have a KM popping up or not. it's never consistent, which makes it less mind numbing.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
02/04/2011 3:02 PMPosted by Decêit

You do much better then other classes with heroism burst also. ive hit 30k in heroic bosses just by starting the fight with dark transformation and getting heroism+unholymight+trinket+gargoyle :o

yeah, one thing that annoys me though is a lot of pug tanks like to wait forever before pulling bosses, letting my stacks run out with me not being able to refresh them before boss.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
lol unholy nerf. i do more dps than an unholy any day of the week as a frost dw. people that say frost dw is behind by a massive amount is a retard. i do 20k+ on bosses. frost is doing great right now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]