Level 20 hunter-Pet questions

22 Night Elf Hunter
I searched the forums and couldn't find these answers.
How do I make my pet happy?

where to get pet food?

Also my pet is always stealthed. How do i unstealth him?

btw I am enjoying hunter very much since I like the soloing aspect for now.
Reply Quote
02/02/2011 10:10 AMPosted by Cruellian
I searched the forums and couldn't find these answers.
How do I make my pet happy?

Feed him.

where to get pet food?

Kill mobs, fish, buy from general goods vendors, food vendors, or innkeepers. Pets will eat food you can eat, but they will also eat uncooked meat and fish.

Also my pet is always stealthed. How do i unstealth him?

Right click on the stealth button on the pet bar so its border stops blinking. That will take it off autocast.
Reply Quote
22 Night Elf Hunter
Thanks. Appreciate the answers for a true noob that I am.
Reply Quote
02/02/2011 10:21 AMPosted by Cruellian
Thanks. Appreciate the answers for a true noob that I am.

Glad to help. It's worth noting that all pets like different things, so while one may want fruit and fungus, another may hate that and only want meat.

Boars and bears eat almost everything.

This will help too:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/
Reply Quote
80 Orc Hunter
Hit C to bring up the character shetts. Select the Pet tab.
Hover over the Bone-shaped icon to see what it eats.
Cats eat meat or fish.

Open your spell-book and select the pet tab. Ricght click the Prowl icon to turn off autocast (a gold shimmer will be around the edge of autocast spells.).
Left-click the spell to manually toggle it off/on.

A pet does 100% of its rated damage if it's content. 125% if Happy, and only 75% if Unhappy.

There's a butcher in Darlaran that sells meat. She walks a circular path near the AH. I'd recommend taking up fishing though.

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
You just need to remember that all pets don't eat Meat, I forgot how to check what your pet eats, I think you can do it form your pets talent screen or something like that...
Reply Quote
22 Night Elf Hunter
OK that all worked. Thanks again.

So much to learn! But that is part of the fun.
Reply Quote
89 Tauren Hunter
02/02/2011 10:32 AMPosted by Cruellian
OK that all worked. Thanks again.

So much to learn! But that is part of the fun.

One more thing you might find helpful: when you get in the mid-20's level range, you can start using glyphs. One of the glyphs considered "essential" for hunters is Glyph of Mend Pet . With it, you can use your Mend Pet ability to increase your pet's Happiness and not have to carry food around anymore (unless you just like to, for RP purposes, which is perfectly fine.) Saves time and bag space. :) It also alleviates the potential problem of when you tame a new pet and if you might not happen to have the right kind of food for it on you, and for long dungeon runs, etc. It's just an all-around excellent hunter glyph to have.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Thnx lol now i might start using my cat again... It's at lvl 26 in my stable because stealth was annoying... Grabbed a Hill Fox from Loch Modan and Horrorjaw the crocolisk from Wetlands... They are pretty descent too... <3 my fox's play mode lol.

EDIT: You can cast Beast Lore on any beast to see if it's tameable and what its stats are AND what it eats
Edited by Cerer on 2/2/2011 7:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
EDIT: You can cast Beast Lore on any beast to see if it's tameable and what its stats are AND what it eats

Note that while you can cast it on druids, you cannot tame us ;)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
02/02/2011 7:54 PMPosted by Icedragon
Note that while you can cast it on druids, you cannot tame us ;)

Unfortunately :P Moonkin pet ftw!

EDIT: Though i have friends with the companion baby moonkin and i got the tree guy from a Darkshore quest line. His name is Withers the tree companion stud :P
Edited by Cerer on 2/2/2011 7:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Orc Hunter
Fox, Bears, and Tallstriders have an AoE bug where they'll chase after nearby critters after they finish off the mob you're attacking. They'll chase those critters a considerable distance and bring back all the nasties they met along the way.

Cats and spirit beasts are arguably the preferred soloing ferocity pets. The agi buff gives the equivalent stats of an extra piece of good gear. For dungeons while leveling, I like to use cats/ if the group is physical damage heavy and a wolf for the crit buff if the group is caster heavy. most stuff just dies too fast for debuffs to stack so I tend to avoid pets with those debuffs while leveling or while in 5 mans.
For raids, bring the pet that supplies a buff/debuff that the raid doesn't have
For tanks, almost ant tenacity pet will do but I preferr beatles and turtles for their shield.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
02/02/2011 8:15 PMPosted by Nok
Fox, Bears, and Tallstriders have an AoE bug where they'll chase after nearby critters after they finish off the mob you're attacking. They'll chase those critters a considerable distance and bring back all the nasties they met along the way.

That explains my pet running away often... hehe its kinda funny though :P
Reply Quote
80 Orc Hunter
02/02/2011 8:18 PMPosted by Cerer

That explains my pet running away often... hehe its kinda funny though :P

Yeah, the pet's AoE puts nearby critters on their threat table even though no damage is given or received by the pet to the critter. It's a horrors show in dungeons. The only effective workaround is to keep the pet on passive so it only goes after mobs you specifically send it after.
Reply Quote
47 Gnome Mage
Tenacity pets (dogs, etc.) have a talent in the tree called "Guard Dog" which generates threat and happiness. On my hunter, I haven't had to feed my dog in ages because he stays happy in combat.

Ferocity pets have similar in "Bloodthirsty" but it's chance based so it's not constant.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I've never had a problem with my Hunter's pet being unhappy using Bloodthirsty
Reply Quote
02/03/2011 1:41 PMPosted by Dasffion
I've never had a problem with my Hunter's pet being unhappy using Bloodthirsty

This is true, but you have to get quite a few levels under your belt before that pet talent becomes available.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]