Getting the Most out of the Forums

Community Manager
We've gone through a lot of changes in the last year together. Between a brand new community site and a brand new expansion, there's been a lot to adjust to. We want to make sure that the experience everyone has on the forums is the best it can be and wanted to take some time to remind everyone of the things that haven’t changed and the conduct that is expected while in them.

We wanted to remind everyone first and foremost to please read the Code of Conduct (http://us.battle.net/en/community/conduct) and the Forum Guidelines (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900930866#2). These will help you to avoid common pitfalls that may result in the removal of a forum thread or in having a thread closed for additional conversation. While these aren’t all inclusive, we've tried to give you the best possible means for ascertaining whether a post should or shouldn't be made here.

We understand that this is a passionate community and appreciate it for what it is. We understand that if you are here talking, it means you care and we want to continue to encourage that as much as we can. That said, we also want to make sure that if you are here posting, that it is for a constructive reason. The community is made up of a lot of differing opinions and thoughts, and it's important that when you are sharing those thoughts, that it is done in a way that can be used for the betterment of the community and the game as a whole. This should go without saying, but this includes refraining from harassing or defamatory language toward others, and profanity or masked profanity. Also keep in mind that we will remove threads that are not topical to World of Warcraft as noted in the forum guidelines. These forums are meant for the World of Warcraft community to discuss the game with each other, and so we ask that you refrain from posting on subjects not about the game.

Please use the search feature that is within the site. This should hopefully help you find already existing threads on a topic of interest. While a post may not directly violate the Code of Conduct, it may be removed for being a repeat topic. Unfortunately, with enough repeat topics, new topics can quickly and easily be drowned out and we’d like to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to share their thoughts and viewpoints with others. By searching for a topic and adding to it instead of creating your own, you can help keep information organized for us, and keep the front page from scrolling so quickly with repeat topics for everyone else.

Lastly, while we understand that there has been a lot of discussion on Cataclysm and what the community likes and dislikes about the game, we request that you ensure your thread title and content remains constructive and clear. "I quit" as a title, "Stop whining" as a post, or "If you don't like it leave" are all unhelpful, will likely result in a deletion, and potentially even a suspension in the latter cases. These types of posts are not constructive, they don't help us learn anything, and are often disruptive to the community. If you do intend to leave the game, we of course would love for you to stay and would maybe even like to talk to you about it, but understand as well if you choose to do so. But, please be respectful of those that are here and still engaged in the game.

We've said this before, but it bears saying again, these forums are here as a means by which the community as a whole can share their ideas, help each other learn and grow, and be a common meeting ground for discussion on World of Warcraft. While the community team is here watching, reading, participating, and trying to answer what we can for you, this forum is here for you to talk with each other as a community first and foremost. We want to make sure that it's a great place to come and meet up with others to share your ongoing adventures in Azeroth with each other, but need all of you to help us make that possible.
Edited by Lylirra on 2/2/2011 6:44 PM PST
100 Blood Elf Priest
Lastly, while we understand that there has been a lot of discussion on Cataclysm and what the community likes and dislikes about the game, we request that you ensure your thread title and content remains constructive and clear. "I quit" as a title, "Stop whining" as a post, or "If you don't like it leave" are all unhelpful, will likely result in a deletion, and potentially even a suspension in the latter cases. These types of posts are not constructive, they don't help us learn anything, and are often disruptive to the community. If you do intend to leave the game, we of course would love for you to stay and would maybe even like to talk to you about it, but understand as well if you choose to do so. But, please be respectful of those that are here and still engaged in the game.

This hasn't really been happening lately, there have been many threads with constructive criticism towards the design and balance of Cataclym that have sadly disappeared. =(
15 Goblin Warlock
Thanks for the clarification

02/02/2011 5:06 PMPosted by Nethaera
"I quit" as a title, "Stop whining" as a post, or "If you don't like it leave" are all unhelpful, will likely result in a deletion, and potentially even a suspension in the latter cases.

This especially
85 Draenei Shaman
This may sound silly, but I have to say (and I think others share this same view) that sometimes it's really hard to believe that you guys are taking a look our issues. Not just the smaller ones, but certain things that the forum community has specifically come here to post about in multitude.

I know, some of the things we say are controversial to the business, but sometimes we just need some kind of official word to calm down the masses.

For instance, the Healer forums have been on fire with Shaman issues for a while, but there's yet to be any words of clarification. Also, these General Discussion forums are filled with players who have legitimate concerns about the direction this game is going, and some feel that their only choice is to quit (hence the "I'm quitting" threads).
82 Tauren Shaman
Also keep in mind that we will remove threads that are not topical to World of Warcraft as noted in the forum guidelines.

Question: Why did you feel the need to remove the Off Topic forum?

People have been posting Off-Topic threads in General now. I never used the OT forum, but I appreciated having a place for OT threads to be contained. Now, they spill into General, taking up space for topics that are relevant.

No, forget adding OT back.

Just give harsh punishment for those that are Offtopic in general. 1st - 24 hour ban. 2nd 72 hour ban

Maybe after 5 offtopic threads permaban.

"Stop whining" as a post, or "If you don't like it leave" are all unhelpful, will likely result in a deletion, and potentially even a suspension in the latter cases.

I'd argue that those posts whining, randomly insulting others/blizz for no reason are offtopic/spam. I'd like to see the same penalties for what I just quoted.

and also another thing to note for the "I quit" thread titles.Sometimes these threads contain constructive feedback from a player that wants to see WoW improve
Edited by Ruusan on 2/2/2011 5:18 PM PST
3 Undead Rogue
02/02/2011 5:09 PMPosted by Senaelanna

This hasn't really been happening lately, there have been many threads with constructive criticism towards the design and balance of Cataclym that have sadly disappeared. =(

Exactly. There are constructive threads out there that are getting deleted just because they are critical of Blizz and/or Cata.

The community doesn't exactly feel like a community when valid contructive posts are getting deleted.
85 Human Priest
02/02/2011 5:15 PMPosted by Tyvigosa
For instance, the Healer forums have been on fire with Shaman issues for a while, but there's yet to be any words of clarification. Also, these General Discussion forums are filled with players who have legitimate concerns about the direction this game is going, and some feel that their only choice is to quit (hence the "I'm quitting" threads).

I agree with this sentiment. Unfortunately, we are at a stage where there will need to be some compromise. But you really have to reinforce your vision. Even with GC posting his blogs, I do not feel that the vision for this expansion has been communicated properly.

And this is causing lot of problems.
Edited by Killada on 2/2/2011 5:24 PM PST
85 Troll Rogue
The search function really needs an overhall. Search in a particular thread / section would be the best fix. It was working fun before this change.
90 Dwarf Hunter
02/02/2011 5:06 PMPosted by Nethaera
Please use the search feature that is within the site.

It'd be nice if the search feature was more intuitive to use. It's more useful than the old one, but only if you know the search parameters. The problem is that I don't think there's any link in the forums to those parameters.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/1123259

I only know about it because I saw it pop up on a blue tracker on another site.

Exactly. There are constructive threads out there that are getting deleted just because they are critical of Blizz and/or Cata.

Just because it's constructive doesn't mean it's also not spam. People need to learn that Blizzard likes single threads with discussion, not a dozen threads parroting each other.
60 Night Elf Druid
02/02/2011 5:28 PMPosted by Démona
The search function really needs an overhall. Search in a particular thread / section would be the best fix. It was working fun before this change.

Agreed. The difficulty of searching for anything more specific than a word or term is likely deterring people from using the search function. I have the explanation bookmarked for frequent reference.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/1123259
It would be really nice if it were built into the GUI of the forums rather than making us look up what to type in. I imagine more people would use it if that were the case.

edit: Rankin beat me to the link :(
Edited by Lorinall on 2/2/2011 5:33 PM PST
88 Dwarf Shaman
02/02/2011 5:15 PMPosted by Tyvigosa
This may sound silly, but I have to say (and I think others share this same view) that sometimes it's really hard to believe that you guys are taking a look our issues. Not just the smaller ones, but certain things that the forum community has specifically come here to post about in multitude.

I know, some of the things we say are controversial to the business, but sometimes we just need some kind of official word to calm down the masses.

I see this and agree to a point (I do have a job that has me in constant contact with John Q Public). I understand that the best way to settle someone's fears or concerns is to keep them in the loop on how things are progressing even if it is a simple "we are looking at X issue" or "we think that X issue is not in need of further review." The latter, at least recently, has been met with hostility and more than enough vitriol.

With that said, I see the other side of the coin as well. If they (Blizz/devolopers) are working on something and brainstorming why give a play by play of things you are working on when those ideas may never see the light of day and only cause more turmoil on these boards. Sometimes silence is or a short descriptive is all one can really give out until you are close to what you were tring to achieve.
Thanks for this Nethaera...I was just sawing to my wife last night that I should write something like this...no I don't have to :P
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]