Looking for Dungeon Queues...

85 Blood Elf Paladin
I work in manufacturing. We take great pains to design our product to be so easy that an idiot can figure it out. We made descriptive labels, we make user instruction booklets, etc that explain exactly how to use it.

Sometimes, despite our best effort, the customers just don't get it. They can't figure out how to use it or it just doesn't work.

Now, were I Blizzard, I would go to my 11 million paying customers and say "Sorry, that's the way it is. Suck it up."

Fortunately, we are not Blizzard. If something doesn't work for the vast majority of people, then we go back to the drawing board and figure out another solution that may work better. We don't simply say "Sorry, customer. We made it idiot proof and it's not our fault you don't know how to use it."

The LFD tool is currently unacceptable with 45 minute queue times. Saying "more people need to play tanks" is not a solution. I don't know what the solution is, but it's Blizzards JOB to come up with some kind of solution, not just say "Sorry, customer, suck it up!"

TLDR: Blizzard needs to fix the long wait times on LFD and not just say "play a tank if you don't like it!"

*edited the title to something more indicative of the topic.- Nethaera
Edited by Nethaera on 2/3/2011 9:29 AM PST
90 Human Paladin
Except the LFD tool is entirely up to who queues as what, and isn't really controlled by Blizzard at all.

And it's still faster than it used to be to find tanks/a group for a heroic.
85 Undead Priest
Blizzard can't force someone to play something they don't want to play.

It's like if one of your products required a man at a specific lever, but a customer calls and complains that no one is at the lever. It's not YOUR fault that no one is there to operate said lever, and you can't force anyone to man the lever to make it work. The only thing you can do is say "Too bad, you need to solve it yourself."
85 Worgen Warrior
02/03/2011 9:10 AMPosted by Vandalar
Blizzard has the ability to do SOMETHING to fix it. They just won't.
If it's not broken, don't fix it.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
nothing is broken. the mjority of users like the game and the LFD tool. The minority that is qq on the forums does not make up the majority of the player base.
85 Worgen Warrior
02/03/2011 9:13 AMPosted by Vandalar
If it's not broken, don't fix it.

45 min queues for DPS=broken.
Too many dps =/= Blizzard's fault.

Laughingelfman.jpg
This is one of those things that really needs some explanation on the part of the people making the demand.

What exactly should they do? We all get it - "Fix queue times"; but how?

Seriously - what is blizzard going to do to speed up queues?

The problem is people; blizzard cannot fix people. Not trying to be degrading or <insert any other malicious synonym of your choice>

It isn't a code issue - that they could fix.
It isn't a bug - that they could fix.
It isn't a mechanic flaw - that they could fix.

To explain that (for those who are really stuck on the idea it is one of those things).

The queue takes people and sorts them into roles and puts them into lines.

When the queue gets 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 dps it launches an instance and invites them in.

And it does that, mechanically and defect free it does that.

The queue can't do any sort of weighting option. If there are 60 DPS, 4 tanks and 10 healers rotating through (yes, the numbers are larger I know).

Well that is just not enough Tanks to go around quickly - people are going to have to wait.

Again - people.

How is blizzard going to get people to stand in line? How is blizzard supposed to fix people?

I know it is frustrating, but really - what do people like yourself expect them to do?
85 Draenei Priest
Blizzard will not force players to tank.

They cannot directly improve the queue times except through steps they've already taken to increase the overall pool -- which really only improves queue-times for the least popular runs in the first place. (ex: 3 people on my battlegroup want to do H Sethekk Halls, 2 on another battlegroup do...no run for either group if the BGs aren't merged)

They can probably make tanking (and healing) more appealing, and should be looking into ways to do that. But many of the problems with tanking/healing being unappealing are social reasons. Again, that's in the hands of the players.

Blizz doesn't have quite so much control here as it may seem they should.
Edited by Tiakatt on 2/3/2011 9:17 AM PST
85 Worgen Warrior
02/03/2011 9:15 AMPosted by Vandalar
Too many dps =/= Blizzard's fault.

Actually, it is.
And now for the thousand year old statement: Prove it.
85 Troll Priest
"If I asked my customers what they wanted, They'd tell me 'a faster horse.'"
-Henry Ford
Edited by Bloka on 2/3/2011 9:16 AM PST
90 Blood Elf Mage
10man Heroics are the solution. 1 tank, 2 healers, 7 DPS, go.
85 Night Elf Druid
Blizzard has the ability to do SOMETHING to fix it. They just won't.

You're a Paladin. You have the ability to tank. You have the ability to heal. You just won't.
90 Undead Warlock
When I get ready to run something I gather up guild members and run it right then with ease as far as the 5 man stuff is concerned and if we are short someone then a friends list normally takes care of that. If not I simply wait a bit and then go at it. Blizzard cannot be responsible for people making friends, guilds, and groups for players to do things with and the lfd tool is is a random tool added to help fill empty spots and nothing more.

So unless one is suggesting that blizzard make their employees tank or heal on each server to make things faster I would highly suggest finding a group of people to play the game with.

Oh and your a pally so unless you roll dps only your queue's should be fast and if your dps only then think about doing your part to lessen queue times for yourself and others.
Edited by Buryit on 2/3/2011 9:18 AM PST
85 Undead Priest
02/03/2011 9:07 AMPosted by Vandalar
I work in manufacturing. We take great pains to design our product to be so easy that an idiot can figure it out. We made descriptive labels, we make user instruction booklets, etc that explain exactly how to use it.

In manufacturing, the end result for the consumer is concrete. In an mmo, there is no specific end result, people enjoy a lot of different things.

blizzard provides sufficient documentation to use it -- but using it is just interacting with the ui in a very basic way and interacting with the world in a very basic way. They document this and even include tips and a mini tutorial system when you first create a character.

Everything else beyond that point is up to you, as it should be. Your analogy is not really apt, because of this.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]