[Guide] In-Game Roleplay -- The Basics

(Sticky)

Voted for sticky. A nice friendly practical guide to how to get started. Thank you for this work.

I suggest you include a brief section to experienced people on what to do and not do to new RPers. Perhaps one on how to handle griefers. Perhaps one on how to refresh one's RP or character.

I don't know why in the world someone would report this thread [edit for clarity: the OP]; griefers everywhere, is only reason I can imagine.
Edited by Drailos on 2/19/2011 2:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
I think Blizzard didn't have a vote sticky button in the beginning, or people were confused, and thought how to sticky something was to report it>other>Sticky... it won't make much of a difference unless a lot of people do, and even then Blizzard would check it out, hopefully.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Third page? /sigh
Reply Quote
81 Night Elf Hunter
Sorry I haven't been on lately, have had some issues regarding internet and whatnot.

02/19/2011 1:45 PMPosted by Drailos
I suggest you include a brief section to experienced people on what to do and not do to new RPers. Perhaps one on how to handle griefers. Perhaps one on how to refresh one's RP or character.

Thanks, Drailos! I'll see to it that I include a small "Dos and Don'ts of RP" section somewhere in there, along with a paragraph-section on griefing and how it should be dealt with.

Guess I'll be using up one of my reserved posts, but that's what it's for, right? :P
Edited by Shandrís on 2/26/2011 6:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
81 Night Elf Hunter
Updated with a section on griefers and a link compilation at the end.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Yay, another link to me. :P
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
sweet thanks
Reply Quote
26 Dwarf Warrior
Very nice. I reccomend a section that gives tips and details for RP fighting in general, (If you don't already have that), but also a section for RP fighting with specefic classes. I, for example, and looking for specefics in RP fighting with a Paladin. The whole deal with using the Light, and whatnot. I want to know exactly what I can do with it, where it originates from, etc. For example: Say there's a box. I wanted to be able to extend my hand, palm up, fingers extended, and form Light around the box. Then, clenching my hand into a Darth Vader Chokehold fist, and lifting up, I wanted to raise the box as well. However, I discovered that the Light can't be summoned just wherever, like the Force can. It has to originate from your body. Among that, a Paladin wouldn't necessarily be able to do such a levitation technique. You would need a Priest. Things like this is what I'm looking for.

Voted for sticky.
/bump
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Gratz on the Sticky Shandris!

/dance
Reply Quote
72 Blood Elf Death Knight

;g ,lmyglrwmyghlwrmh]wm]
mw4o
yn

Reply Quote
70 Worgen Death Knight
Woah. Two stickies while I was asleep.

o_o
Reply Quote
81 Night Elf Hunter
Thank you, everyone, for your help and support in getting this thread stickied! I hope this will help many newcomers interested in roleplaying in the game, especially those a little bit more hesitant to try.

Gratz on the Sticky Shandris!

/dance

Wow! Didn't even see this until today -- been very busy with work and some in-game drama.

Hooray, sticky! :D Grats to you too, miss Meep!

Very nice. I reccomend a section that gives tips and details for RP fighting in general, (If you don't already have that), but also a section for RP fighting with specefic classes. I, for example, and looking for specefics in RP fighting with a Paladin. The whole deal with using the Light, and whatnot. I want to know exactly what I can do with it, where it originates from, etc. For example: Say there's a box. I wanted to be able to extend my hand, palm up, fingers extended, and form Light around the box. Then, clenching my hand into a Darth Vader Chokehold fist, and lifting up, I wanted to raise the box as well. However, I discovered that the Light can't be summoned just wherever, like the Force can. It has to originate from your body. Among that, a Paladin wouldn't necessarily be able to do such a levitation technique. You would need a Priest. Things like this is what I'm looking for.

Voted for sticky.
/bump

Ah, I see. However, there are many other factors to roleplay-fighting as a specific class. Your race, for example, varies how you act, what you say, or what you even cast. In other cases, it may be specializations. Gender may also play a role, as well as your guild/affiliation with your faction, etc.

I suppose I could write up a little bit more on how it can affect what you do and say, but I wouldn't be able to say everything I'd want to. I guess I'll be scrounging around, because I'm quite sure I could find something about this (or post it elsewhere and link directly to it).
Edited by Shandrís on 3/14/2011 12:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I've never RP'ed before in my life.

Suddenly, I'm interested.

Thanks for this great guide. :]
Reply Quote
75 Human Hunter
I am brand new to wow and I want to try roleplaying.I found your guide very helpfull but I still have a few questions about controling my character in the world.
1) How can I make my character walk, instead of running all the time?
2) I have discovered how to write emotes. Is there a way to create emotes for my hunters pet?
3) I have installed my role play but I can't figure out how to use it while I am playing.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
I'm not the person who wrote this guide, but I will offer my answer and you can chose to take it if you want.

03/16/2011 11:23 PMPosted by Clarene
1) How can I make my character walk, instead of running all the time?

The default key is the forward slash on the numpad, you can change it in options.

2) I have discovered how to write emotes. Is there a way to create emotes for my hunters pet?

Some people go /emote " 's pet Jerry growls." which would come out for me as "Meep 's pet Jerry growls."

There are however addons you can find that let you make pet emotes I think.

3) I have installed my role play but I can't figure out how to use it while I am playing.

I'm pretty sure under the character pane (c), there is a my role play tab.

- - -

Not that helpful, but maybe I answered one or two of your questions.
Reply Quote
75 Human Hunter
Thank-you that did help. The only problem is that my laptop has no number pad.......... but I did get my role play working.

Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Just my own bit of input on Mary-Sues...

http://www.springhole.net/quizzes/marysue.htm

Link to a fairly recently updated Mary-Sue test. The whole thing explains itself, but I CANNOT stress this enough: READ. THE. DIRECTIONS.

Don't take it as a bible, just a helpful guide. The kind of character you play is entirely up to you. It's not what you play, it's how you play.
Edited by Mathaldel on 3/19/2011 2:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
You forgot to mention "breaking lore" under mary-sues, as in people who claim to be the family of noteworthy lore characters and so on, "I'm Arthas' son" or "I'm Atonidas' sister" or something like that
Edited by Dalard on 3/28/2011 11:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
28 Undead Warlock
I have found this most informative. I thank you from the bottom of what's left of my heart. (you rock!!!)
Edited by Marrowbone on 3/24/2011 7:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
81 Night Elf Hunter
Sorry I haven't snuck in here for a while. Had to reformat my computer (now all my RP stories and my pictures are gone... along with my character origin stories, art commissions, and RP profiles. D:) Weeks of work lost forever to the black void of nothingness!

But I am thankful that I still have a computer. Now, if only these forums would stop fluctuating in style every refresh, I'd be the happiest camper ever.

I've never RP'ed before in my life.

Suddenly, I'm interested.

Thanks for this great guide. :]

I'm glad I've helped to entice you into at least trying RP out. :) It may not be the most popular side of the game, but it can definitely be very fun if you're into writing and being creative. :D

Just my own bit of input on Mary-Sues...

http://www.springhole.net/quizzes/marysue.htm

Link to a fairly recently updated Mary-Sue test. The whole thing explains itself, but I CANNOT stress this enough: READ. THE. DIRECTIONS.

Don't take it as a bible, just a helpful guide. The kind of character you play is entirely up to you. It's not what you play, it's how you play.

That's really neat! I'll look into this a bit more, since my browser's currently going wonky on the forums right now.

Bump and sticky vote, also you forgot to mention "breaking lore" under mary-sues, as in people who claim to be the family of noteworthy lore characters and so on.

I forgot about that, honestly. I tried to make it very general, though I guess I could add a different example to show people a somewhat Sue-ish character. I'll see to it in a few!

I have found this most informative. I thank you from the bottom of what's left of my heart. (you rock!!!)

Thank you! I hope it helped you enough to start venturing out in-game, or even to reinforce some uneasiness in certain things!
Edited by Shandrís on 3/25/2011 12:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]