Avg. Item Level vs. Equipped Item Level

85 Blood Elf Paladin
Could someone please explain to me how a character's average item level could possibly be lower than his equipped? If the calculation is taking into account the best item level that you possess for each of the 16 slots (with weapon/offhand counting as one but is the average of the two slots, as far as I can tell), then the equipped gear could certainly be lower than the average best, but the average best has to be greater than or equal to any one gear setup.

I'm guessing this is a bug on Blizzard's side, but I haven't seen any mention of it on the boards. If I'm wrong on any of the above, please advise.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
that really helpful
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
It counts whats in your bags.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
02/04/2011 12:16 PMPosted by Scientology
You have 16 slots. Add all the numbers from your slots ilvl and devide by 16.

Example:
------

5202/16 = 325 average ilvl....

Your welcome..

This assumes they're using mean, as opposed to median, or mode forms of average. =3
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
BaH
02/04/2011 12:17 PMPosted by Xelestial

It seems like that is his point. I think he is saying somehow his average item level is actually lower than his equipped average item level.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
Yeah it's kinda borked. My guess is it doesn't necessarily average out your highest ilevel gear, just one of each slot. No clue how it'd pick which item in your bags to use.
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Druid
02/04/2011 12:24 PMPosted by Cathercy

It seems like that is his point. I think he is saying somehow his average item level is actually lower than his equipped average item level.

Ayep.

My armory shows Ave iLvl 346. Ave iLvl equipped 349.

/shrug
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I think your item level should be from ONLY what you are wearing at that moment. Swap out an 346 item for a Ilevel 1 RP peice and your level should drop.

It would stop retards from padding their level with gear they dont wear to get into Heroics or Regs if still leveling.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
I'm familiar with the fact that the calculation considers what's in your bags, as well as your bank. And I'm familiar with an arithmetic mean. Maybe an example would help.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/medivh/rednecro/advanced

This is my Warlock alt. Note that his average item level shows 326, and his equipped is 336. The 336 can be verified by what he's wearing.

If he had a piece of gear in his bags/bank that was superior to what he was wearing, the item level for that slot would be higher, thus the average best would have to be equal to or higher than his equipped (based on rounding).

Now suppose he had a piece that was worse in his bags/bank. That piece is ignored for the purpose of the calculation since there's a better one on his person.

Average best item level can be greater than or equal to equipped average item level. It cannot be lower.

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
02/04/2011 12:26 PMPosted by Bubbajoe

Wait, you mean he actually meant that when he said exactly that?

Bless you and your literacy.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
Avg.item lvl =ur best boot+ur best belt+ur best other 14 things that u can equip in other 14 slots.these thing will count from ur bank or ur bag.equipped ilvl=the avg item lvl of ur equipped item.
Hope that helped
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
02/04/2011 12:24 PMPosted by Cathercy

My brain reversed what he said- I thought he meant his equipped was lower.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
02/04/2011 12:36 PMPosted by Xelestial
My brain reversed what he said- I thought he meant his equipped was lower.

Don't worry, most of the posters in this thread don't get it either.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
It does not make it right, no matter what GC said about it.

In fact, items with resil on them should be weighted lower than other gear to the order of whatever the items iLevel would be without the resil stat on it for purposes of PvE dungeons.

Nothing in your bags should count either, only the items equipped. If you want in to a heroic, have your stuff equipped before joining.

The current system is part of the reason people hate the current LFD tool so much.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
02/04/2011 12:18 PMPosted by Noobiticus
You have 16 slots. Add all the numbers from your slots ilvl and devide by 16.

Example:
------

5202/16 = 325 average ilvl....

Your welcome..

This assumes they're using mean, as opposed to median, or mode forms of average. =3

They are.. But it counts the highest level gear for the slot you have..
Reply Quote
MVP
86 Night Elf Priest
Just a wild thought, but for your Ret off-spec, what is the iLvl of the 2h weapon you use? I've seen a case in the past where a druid had a MH item and no OH, so it used zero for the empty OH slot. In this case what I'm thinking is that the MH item could be right about the same number, but instead of dividing by 16, it's dividing with that by 15 - giving a number that is one apart.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]