How many Mbps?

90 Undead Mage
I recently downgraded my internet from 25mbps to 15mbps. Does anyone know the speed requirements wow needs to run properly with little to no lag?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I run with 10 Mbps and around 50 ms latency.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Unless you're running mad torrentz, even the 15 mb/s was overkill.
Reply Quote
Lag has more to do with your connection quality than maximum throughput. WoW's bandwidth requirement comes absolutely nowhere close to 15Mb. You'll see no difference in latency going from 25Mb to 15Mb... or 1Mb for that matter.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
15 Mbps is fine. We moved to the country and can only get 3 Mbps and it runs ok, 15 should be superior. You probably won't even notice the difference.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Thank you very much. How could lowering my Mbps change my gameplay?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
If this game actually keeps a 500 kb/s connection open, I'd eat my foot. Not at all.
Reply Quote
31 Blood Elf Hunter
It's more about how prioritized the packets from WoW that you're sending over the network are. WoW is not a bandwidth intensive game, but it does demand high priority for good latency. My latency hasn't changed from when I ran on a 1Mb/sec connection when I started playing in 2004 to being on a 50Mb/sec connection now. My latency was generally 10-20ms then and it's stayed around that. Just hope your ISP isn't evil and doesn't have some kind of packet priority system that is causing WoW to have horrible latency.
Edited by Etain on 2/5/2011 2:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
What you're describing is a breech of current neutrality rules, and you should be getting on the phone with a lawyer to start up a class action.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't mean to derail threads, but I've always been confused by lag and such. We've got a 54MB connection in the country and none of the ports are blocked and I've done all the little "tricks" to speed up latency, but am still constantly playing with 3k+ ms. How do I fix this? I'm very close to the server I play on too. 60 miles away.
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Warlock
15 mbps is nearly 2 MB per second.

That is what i run on and i can be on skype, streaming a movie and downloading at the same time with no problems in wow.

My cousin is on the slowest possible cable internet, he gets something like 100k download speeds, but he never lags on wow even when someone is on xbox live.

Also, there is no way in hell you have a 54 MB connection.

And i highly doubt you even have a 54 Mb connection....
Edited by Smoothbanker on 2/5/2011 2:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
02/05/2011 2:19 PMPosted by Eon
I don't mean to derail threads, but I've always been confused by lag and such. We've got a 54MB connection in the country and none of the ports are blocked and I've done all the little "tricks" to speed up latency, but am still constantly playing with 3k+ ms. How do I fix this? I'm very close to the server I play on too. 60 miles away.

Define "we", describe how your network is set up, and tell me what other people are doing on your network while you're getting 3 second pings.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Thank you very much. How could lowering my Mbps change my gameplay?

It won't, the only time you would notice your slower connection would be when you are downloading patches. Talking purely in a WoW related setting of course. In terms of latency and game play, I notice no difference between my 3mb connection at home and my 100mb connection at work.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Ive always had so so latency on WoW. Around 250ms is pretty typical for me. I have Comcast and when few in my area are online I get around 22Mbps. I ran a Tracert test on my connection once and it showed that before I get out of the Comcast network it makes a back and forth hop from my city to the bay area 3 times. Why on earth they would have their network set up that way I have no idea. It makes raiding somewhat unreachable for me unfortunately so I mostly have to play solo or run 5 mans.
Reply Quote
02/05/2011 2:00 PMPosted by Kaldalor
I recently downgraded my internet from 25mbps to 15mbps. Does anyone know the speed requirements wow needs to run properly with little to no lag?

Troll or Idiot, can't tell.
Edited by Hurtmenomore on 2/5/2011 2:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Trolling or Idiot, can't tell.

You've never worked IT have you?
The coffee cup CD tray thing actually happens. Then they expect you to get a free replacement for their "defective" blu-ray burner.
Reply Quote
02/05/2011 2:19 PMPosted by Eon

lmao, 54MB. I doubt you have that speed =P
Edited by Hurtmenomore on 2/5/2011 2:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Thanks you all answered my questions
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
3mbps enough to pvp with skype running on multiple calls?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]