(Sticky)

I found this guide to be very helpful.

Thanks a ton!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I found this guide to be very helpful.

Thanks a ton!

Welcome, Thokk! I'm very glad it helped! (:

I'm a busy bee these days, but thread often returns to the back of my mind. I intend to update it soon, may the holidays be kind.
Reply Quote
2 Human Warrior
I have to say: thank you so much for the guide. I've found this guide to be extremely valuable. However, it's missing a couple things. Such as recruitment tips and other things that are coming soon.

My only problem is being innovative. Trying to lure the fish with the correct bait can be troublesome. Especially if it's the first time leading a guild. Any suggestions?
Reply Quote
I must thank you for the informative post! I'm in the process of resurrecting my guild after a rather long and unplanned hiatus. As of now I have 2 other members (aside from my alts), but I think this will allow my to focus on the structure and what not and build from there rather than having a large membership and changing overnight. Either way, I really appreciate the hard work you've put into this.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have to say: thank you so much for the guide. I've found this guide to be extremely valuable. However, it's missing a couple things. Such as recruitment tips and other things that are coming soon.

My only problem is being innovative. Trying to lure the fish with the correct bait can be troublesome. Especially if it's the first time leading a guild. Any suggestions?

Patience, patience and more patience. You have to also be active yourself. A dream only survives as long as the dreamer continues to dream.

You absolutely must be able to dedicate the time and energy to your guild. You have to pretty much treat it like a child. With care and nourishment, it will grow. Otherwise, it could very well die (gruesome, but true.) I am not saying that it will be instantaneous, but nothing worthwhile ever is.

Founding an RP guild is tricky just like a raiding or PvP guild. With a raiding and PvP guild, you have a pretty set "This is what you oughta do to be successful, but no guarantees." With roleplay, it's a bit different, but the same basics still apply. This is what I suggest.

Have your dream in mind: What kind of guild do you want to create? Make it. Make up the story. Make up the things that go along with the story. Make up events that make sense with your dream. Stay true to that dream, and keep it evolving, keep it growing! I would suggest taking some time to invest in preparation before you start announcing in trade, or in your server site/forum.

Guild roleplay: DO IT! Do it regularly. You can't simply say "RP Guild, join up plz" and expect people to join. However, if your guild is out there roleplaying, people will start to notice. Also, guild members will have something to look forward to when the elusive creature called roleplay is difficult to find. Keep that calendar full. The people in your guild will be awed.The calendar also doesn't need to be full of just RP events. Establish whatever your other interests are. Wanna raid? Build a team, or do a guild LFR. Wanna PvP? Make an event. Build a team, or just pre-made a BG.

Form relationships with other RP guilds: This helps a lot. If you and your members can interact with others, you can work together with those guilds, and it is better for both parties. Things you could do are things like form an IC trade agreement, join together to obtain certain objectives. If you're creative, you can work on forming an alliance storyline, or a war storyline. These goals are pretty draining however, so please keep reading to my next point.

Simplicity is often the best approach: While people do love a good dose of out-of-the-ordinary, extremely complex, massive RP storylines that go on for 3 months, which make for good memories and stories on the guild/server website, oftentimes your best approach is to just keep it simple. Using whatever your RP basis is, you can meet up as your guild and simply hang out in-character. A militant organization would have your regular war planning sessions, but they would also have leave, when the soldiers can take off the armor and grab a drink, so to speak. Trade guilds could meet up and laugh together about the poor souls they've swindled in the past week, etc.

Keep it smooth: Keep your guild running like clockwork. Things like no drama, making certain people get all the info they need on various things, etc. As your guild starts out, you can manage things on your own. But as you grow, you will need others to help. I would suggest going by this rule of thumb: "If it looks like an officer, acts like an officer, smells like an officer, it's most likely an officer." As you get more experienced, you'll learn better discernment skills. These officers will help your guild run smoothly.

Above all, you MUST remember that building a guild is a commitment. It's like creating a business. Keeping it active, keeping it creating it's product, keeping it advertised, that's what allows it to flourish. If you get the signatures, and then go "meh, people will ask about it," no they won't. It's not human nature to think about something they know nothing about. It just doesn't happen. If you don't see the add for that place downtown, you'll never wonder about what kind of soup they serve, or whether it's got some good quality steak. You might've lived your life not knowing it existed. You can't only want the guild for the shiny GM title. You have to want it to make your dream succeed, and to allow others to share in that dream. It's a vast time commitment.

I've also compiled some excellent leadership discussions, as well as some of my own thoughts, on the Earthen Ring RP Network website. Check it out:

http://earthenring.net/forum/topics/raid-and-guild-leadership-tidbits
Edited by Artrath on 7/20/2013 6:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]