Haste Issue Causing Ability Errors - Update#2

(Locked)

85 Gnome Rogue
Holy crap this bug is annoying, plz fix kthx
85 Human Rogue
The problem with rogues though, is that when slice n dice is active, abilities are actually costing MORE than they used to, I am not sure how much this is associated but I haven't been able to find any blue response on this issue other than "we are aware of it". Is this haste issue affecting this? I guess I could imagine a scenario where slice n dice is giving us more energy incorrectly and the server is making up for that error when we use another ability, but it still seems to be simply costing more, as I have seen a noticeable decrease in my DPS overall so far.
Thanks, and please don't use your three clicks on me.
85 Orc Rogue

Haha, don't worry about it. It's like, three clicks for me to suspend someone. It's super duper easy.

A: Thanks for the info on the bug.
B: Thank you for the amazing quote!
85 Orc Rogue
The problem with rogues though, is that when slice n dice is active, abilities are actually costing MORE than they used to, I am not sure how much this is associated but I haven't been able to find any blue response on this issue other than "we are aware of it". Is this haste issue affecting this? I guess I could imagine a scenario where slice n dice is giving us more energy incorrectly and the server is making up for that error when we use another ability, but it still seems to be simply costing more, as I have seen a noticeable decrease in my DPS overall so far.
Thanks, and please don't use your three clicks on me.

The abilities aren't costing more on the server side of things, it just appears to cost more from the client perspective. Slice n dice doesnt affect energy regen at the server side, but does at the client side.

Say for example it takes 5 seconds to get to 60 energy from 0 wihout slice n dice. After 5 seconds the client and server both say you have 60 energy, you mutilate, they both update and you have 0 energy.

With slice n dice, the cilent will say you have something like 80 energy after those 5 seconds, but the server will still only say you have 60. You then mutilate and they both update to having 0 energy.

Your UI lies to you and makes you think you just spent 80 energy on a mutilate, when you really only had and spent 60.
90 Dwarf Warrior
02/08/2011 7:19 PMPosted by Johnsonlong
Haha, don't worry about it. It's like, three clicks for me to suspend someone. It's super duper easy.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1869560485?page=1 294 pages, most of which are by feral druids and as well as some other classes discussing with constructive criticism (some trolls, beware) please please please tell any GMs to read and think about a way around the removal of powershift.

Thanks
- Johnsolong

So, after seeing how easy it is for Bash to suspend people, you decide to directly talk to him in a way that is being off-topic?
85 Blood Elf Paladin
02/08/2011 7:43 PMPosted by Quard

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1869560485?page=1 294 pages, most of which are by feral druids and as well as some other classes discussing with constructive criticism (some trolls, beware) please please please tell any GMs to read and think about a way around the removal of powershift.

Thanks
- Johnsolong

So, after seeing how easy it is for Bash to suspend people, you decide to directly talk to him in a way that is being off-topic?

yeah god forbid someone wanted to get their class fixed eh?
90 Goblin Rogue
Thanks, I saw this happening earlier. Ill know what to look for now. Appreciate the step up :D.

Keep up the good work.
85 Tauren Paladin
02/08/2011 6:31 PMPosted by Loveriel
I would like to constructively point out that the beta and PTR phases in this expansion have been handled horribly. Constructively.

Concur, I've no idea what's going on but this expansion is way, way buggier than the last two. I know it's an MMO and bugs happen, but this is, at least in my own experience, just on a whole new level, It's not something I'd expect from Blizzard.

It's also the most complex technically, as far as I can tell. I think you could expect fewer bugs if the Software and the technology behind it didn't change at all, but it has, for the better mostly, and therefore as the system gets more complex, more bugs have the potential to be introduced.

Just food for thought.

Considering all of the changes made, it's not as bad as it could be.
90 Undead Warlock
02/08/2011 6:56 PMPosted by Killada

Can you please turn on sigs so I can have that as my sig plz? pretty please? with sugar and cherry on top?

/signed
90 Undead Rogue
The abilities aren't costing more on the server side of things, it just appears to cost more from the client perspective. Slice n dice doesnt affect energy regen at the server side, but does at the client side.

Say for example it takes 5 seconds to get to 60 energy from 0 wihout slice n dice. After 5 seconds the client and server both say you have 60 energy, you mutilate, they both update and you have 0 energy.

With slice n dice, the cilent will say you have something like 80 energy after those 5 seconds, but the server will still only say you have 60. You then mutilate and they both update to having 0 energy.

Your UI lies to you and makes you think you just spent 80 energy on a mutilate, when you really only had and spent 60.

That's a pretty good explanation of what appears to be the truth about the client/server discrepancy going on here. I'm curious to know which is "right," however, since it determines whether or not the fix results in a net gain (especially for rogues) in DPS compared to how we stand now. In the OP, Bashiok says that the server correctly determines that the player does not have enough of the resource, but is that only correct because the server was using a flawed regeneration algorithm (the haste-based one in question), or is it because the client was somehow coded assuming even faster regen than was intended?

Bashiok's post initially seems to imply that the client is wrong, by saying that the server "correctly" determines that there is not enough of whatever resource, but the more I try to parse the wording, the more I find it slightly ambiguous. Maybe I'm just trying to read too much into what he said, since it's the only official word I've had to ponder regarding a problem I've been thinking a bit about.
85 Tauren Druid
02/08/2011 6:10 PMPosted by Bashiok

<3
85 Orc Shaman
So wait is it effecting (enhance) shaman's mana per hit? i saw you mentioned windfury. I'm not sure if its the bug or a change with the patch, using all agil gear (no caster ones like the blues specifically dont want us using) my dps went from 14k on the 85 test dummy, tested that last night, to 8.3k this morning and all that changed is i put hurricane on both my weapons. (previously un-enchanted) Or what is it?
90 Human Death Knight
D-ohh, thought I noticed something weird with my abilities.. thought my rune addon was just out of date so I tried without it. Thanks for letting us know though.
85 Orc Rogue
That's a pretty good explanation of what appears to be the truth about the client/server discrepancy going on here. I'm curious to know which is "right," however, since it determines whether or not the fix results in a net gain (especially for rogues) in DPS compared to how we stand now. In the OP, Bashiok says that the server correctly determines that the player does not have enough of the resource, but is that only correct because the server was using a flawed regeneration algorithm (the haste-based one in question), or is it because the client was somehow coded assuming even faster regen than was intended?

Bashiok's post initially seems to imply that the client is wrong, by saying that the server "correctly" determines that there is not enough of whatever resource, but the more I try to parse the wording, the more I find it slightly ambiguous. Maybe I'm just trying to read too much into what he said, since it's the only official word I've had to ponder regarding a problem I've been thinking a bit about.

I think the original idea was to have slice n dice and other similar effects all uniformly show as melee haste in the character screen, but have no effect on haste regen mechanics.

Somehow, the coding went wrong (or hopefully right, but i doubt it as it's a ridiculously good buff), which caused the increased melee haste on the character screen to behave like full blown haste, affecting the regen mechanics.

This was then found after the patch was finalized, and was corrected at blizzards end, but still distributed with the patch. The UI discrepancy being a client side thing likely means we wont see a hot fix and it will require another patch.

Summary: it would seem the regen is unintended but was found too late, and it is the client side that is wrong.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]