Haste Issue Causing Ability Errors - Update#2

(Locked)

85 Human Paladin
This bug has been there for a while now. i created a worgen druid a month ago and I noticed that even though it said that my ability cost 16 energy and the ability lit up, it wouldn't be usable until I had 32 energy. Then as I leveled it kept doubling the actual energy needed to actually be used. It put me off of playing my drorgen. Haven't gone back to see if it was fixed or not.
100 Night Elf Rogue
Here's hoping it's fixed soon. As a combat rogue with 1800+ haste rating, this bug made tonight's raid nearly unbearable for me. I rely on my timers and abilities working correctly so I can plan accordingly, so I get really screwed up when I have to keep spamming a button that appears to be ready but actually isn't.
37 Tauren Hunter
02/08/2011 6:42 PMPosted by Simcá

Concur, I've no idea what's going on but this expansion is way, way buggier than the last two. I know it's an MMO and bugs happen, but this is, at least in my own experience, just on a whole new level, It's not something I'd expect from Blizzard.

I think you've got a selective memory when it comes to Vanilla WoW.

Those days of bugs makes Cataclysm look pristine and refined.

when wrath dropped, the game was nearly unplayable for like a week, and for the first day, all servers were just down with very inaccurate ETAs, compared to that, cata was a breath of fresh air.
85 Human Rogue
I don't understand how as a rogue I only see this problem when slice n dice is up.

The way it sounds when you mention the issue is that everything except the UI is functioning correctly? As in, it looks like I have enough energy but I really don't...Please tell me I'm wrong and that my dps didn't drop a ridiculous amount for no reason.
90 Orc Rogue
I think the original idea was to have slice n dice and other similar effects all uniformly show as melee haste in the character screen, but have no effect on haste regen mechanics.

Somehow, the coding went wrong (or hopefully right, but i doubt it as it's a ridiculously good buff), which caused the increased melee haste on the character screen to behave like full blown haste, affecting the regen mechanics.

This was then found after the patch was finalized, and was corrected at blizzards end, but still distributed with the patch. The UI discrepancy being a client side thing likely means we wont see a hot fix and it will require another patch.

Summary: it would seem the regen is unintended but was found too late, and it is the client side that is wrong.

I am checking my energy by using UnitPower("player"). With SnD up and 1 backstab my energy can drop to as low as 50 (from 120). I don't know if UnitPower uses the client or server side values but it's worth thinking about.
Edited by Teletha on 2/8/2011 10:18 PM PST
85 Goblin Rogue
i'm going to go ahead and say that i noticed this happening tonight while i was raiding, and that for some reason because of this my rotation was screwy and i was having trouble keeping rupture up even while pooling energy, whereas before the patch i was having no such issue at all. did you guys nerf our energy regen??? i mean this being a client/server issue where you're saying we're actually using/regenning the same amount of energy sure doesn't feel like it to me.
85 Blood Elf Rogue
It's been fixed.
85 Night Elf Druid
I don't understand how as a rogue I only see this problem when slice n dice is up.

The way it sounds when you mention the issue is that everything except the UI is functioning correctly? As in, it looks like I have enough energy but I really don't...Please tell me I'm wrong and that my dps didn't drop a ridiculous amount for no reason.

I think the reason is because you dont actually get "haste" from Slice and Dice, you get attack speed. So you are not supposed to get any extra energy from it. It seems as though S&D is interpreted as being haste, and thus generating extra energy for ui purposes but not for actual resource.
100 Human Rogue
The problem with rogues though, is that when slice n dice is active, abilities are actually costing MORE than they used to, I am not sure how much this is associated but I haven't been able to find any blue response on this issue other than "we are aware of it". Is this haste issue affecting this? I guess I could imagine a scenario where slice n dice is giving us more energy incorrectly and the server is making up for that error when we use another ability, but it still seems to be simply costing more, as I have seen a noticeable decrease in my DPS overall so far.
Thanks, and please don't use your three clicks on me.

The abilities aren't costing more on the server side of things, it just appears to cost more from the client perspective. Slice n dice doesnt affect energy regen at the server side, but does at the client side.

Say for example it takes 5 seconds to get to 60 energy from 0 wihout slice n dice. After 5 seconds the client and server both say you have 60 energy, you mutilate, they both update and you have 0 energy.

With slice n dice, the cilent will say you have something like 80 energy after those 5 seconds, but the server will still only say you have 60. You then mutilate and they both update to having 0 energy.

Your UI lies to you and makes you think you just spent 80 energy on a mutilate, when you really only had and spent 60.

The problem is that our client thinks that we have the energy, and so we hit the button to use the ability, and it causes a delay before you can use it again, which is causing a loss of DPS. not to mention the fact that it's literally giving us a 40 energy bar for combat, and a 60 energy bar for mutilate. you almost have to wait for the energy to cap before you can use anything - which is very, VERY frustrating. Especially with cooldowns and abilities that add energy. We don't have a pad to go above our 100 energy, so it makes a lot of procs useless as far as energy returns are concerned.
85 Tauren Druid
wow three clicks that is about what it took me to stop paying for your game lol pls ban me for life i wont be coming back.
100 Night Elf Rogue
02/08/2011 11:11 PMPosted by Lunareste
It's been fixed.

Just tested on a raid target dummy. It isn't fixed.
85 Blood Elf Priest
Ahh so this is my Shadow Word: Death doesn't fire half the time. Thought I was going nutty! Hope this is fixed quickly! :)
80 Night Elf Rogue
02/09/2011 1:47 AMPosted by Calestra
Ahh so this is my Shadow Word: Death doesn't fire half the time. Thought I was going nutty! Hope this is fixed quickly! :)

fixed?

if you know Blizz by now they'll break something else before they "fix" it.

85 Goblin Rogue
Here the guy is bringing helpful information to you, and you get all over his stuff because he made a quick typo trying to hash this out between the 100 other things he has to do.

Do you ever make silly mistakes at work? Yea

Haha, don't worry about it. It's like, three clicks for me to suspend someone. It's super duper easy.

...We really appreciate the work you do around here, Bashy. You're my favorite CM. *uncomfortable smile*
90 Undead Rogue
02/08/2011 6:28 PMPosted by Zannis
I would like to constructively point out that the beta and PTR phases in this expansion have been handled horribly. Constructively.

Yes, I would have to agree that overall the approach Blizzard has taken to testing Cataclysm during beta and on the PTR post-launch have not had the same degree of professionalism and dedication to quality that the Blizzard of old once did. It's a shame.

It might even be why they had to hot-fix some bugs less than 24 hours after releasing this patch.
90 Undead Rogue
Here the guy is bringing helpful information to you, and you get all over his stuff because he made a quick typo trying to hash this out between the 100 other things he has to do.

Do you ever make silly mistakes at work? Yea

Haha, don't worry about it. It's like, three clicks for me to suspend someone. It's super duper easy.

It takes a few more clicks than that to cancel my subscription. You might want to get someone to make that easier, see what happens.
74 Goblin Rogue
02/08/2011 6:10 PMPosted by Bashiok

GG

02/09/2011 4:17 AMPosted by Humerus
It takes a few more clicks than that to cancel my subscription. You might want to get someone to make that easier, see what happens.

Hurt feelings?

02/09/2011 2:25 AMPosted by Zagden
...We really appreciate the work you do around here, Bashy.

^ This.
Edited by Sizzurp on 2/9/2011 5:09 AM PST
85 Night Elf Rogue
So...what's the update. anyone know if/when this is going to be fixed? Should I just not bother logging in?

This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]