STICKY: Rogue Population Log - In Progress

(Locked)

85 Draenei Priest
Let's take a look at the latest numbers for US realms (posted today by OP).

To preface: There are currently ten classes in WoW. In a perfect split, every class would have 10% representation. I will be going off of the percentages given in the data for ease of calculation (I'm lazy), but it's important to note that the given percentages total up to 95.3% population. Re-calculating the 'perfect split' for this new overall, each class would have 9.53% representation in a 'perfect split'.

#1 Paladin 212,884 14.3% -3,938 -18,203
#2 Druid 172,485 11.6% -4,017 -15,967
#3 Deathknigt 151,808 10.2% -2,226 -10,599
#4 Hunter 149,070 10.0% -989 -7,910
#5 Mage 148,070 10.0% -4,026 -14,392
#6 Priest 136,668 9.2% -523 -6,785
#7 Warrior 132,711 8.9% -3,096 -14,590
#8 Shaman 125,562 8.4% -2,647 -13,240
#9 Warlock 98,458 6.6% -2,929 -9,631
#10 Rogue 90,775 6.1% -768 -5,901

So DKs, Hunters, Mages, and Priests are within 0.5% of the perfect split. Warriors are 0.63% down, which still isn't bad at all. Shamen are a tad low at 1.1% off, but given how unconventional they are with the totem mechanic, this isn't completely unexpected. Still, all of these classes are within about 1% of the perfect split.

Warlocks and Rogues are really hurting at 2.93% and 3.43% off, respectively, for a combined 6.36% deficit.

Meanwhile, Druids and Paladins are high by 2.07% and 4.77% respectively, for a combined 6.84% over the perfect split.

Hmm, this is interesting. Druids and Paladins, together, are up by very nearly the same amount that Warlocks and Rogues are down. Druids and Paladins are the two classes in the game that can fulfill every role (tank/DPS/healer), while Warlocks and Rogues are two pure DPS classes.

Consider that alts are included in this mix, and the numbers are not normalized for alt usage. A player who maintains five level 85 characters and has played them all within the past 30 days contributes 5 characters of data to this census, while a player that plays one character exclusively contributes only 1.

Although there is no way to determine which of these characters is an alt and which is a main without extensive analysis on a per-character basis (and certainly not in the data provided here), I believe it is fair to note that the nature of the game at the level cap can have effects on alt usage. Consider that the primary method of gearing an alt is through either PvP or the dungeon finder tool. And the LFD tool heavily favors tanks and healers in terms of queue times.

Although I do not have the data to make a solid assertion to this point, I personally am willing to be that, faced with the option of waiting in very long DPS queues for random dungeons, or getting much faster (healer) or even instant (tank) queues, a player without a strong bias towards a DPS role would choose a class that can serve in the healing or tanking function.

TL;DR version: It's not exactly surprising that the two classes that can fill every role are up by the same amount that the two lowest DPS-only classes are down. The ability to do everything competently with one class (and thus one inventory/reputation grind/etc.) is more appealing to more people than a one-trick pony that does one thing very well. With the homogenization of what classes can bring to the group reducing the unique utilities Warlocks and Rogues bring, it makes sense that the difference comes out of them and not the more versatile Mages/Hunters.
Edited by Izell on 3/5/2011 1:54 PM PST
90 Human Rogue
I say take away homongenization and let everyone get their cool unique perks back.
85 Night Elf Rogue
03/05/2011 1:50 PMPosted by Izell
TL;DR version: It's not exactly surprising that the two classes that can fill every role are up by the same amount that the two lowest DPS-only classes are down. The ability to do everything competently with one class (and thus one inventory/reputation grind/etc.) is more appealing to more people than a one-trick pony that does one thing very well. With the homogenization of what classes can bring to the group reducing the unique utilities Warlocks and Rogues bring, it makes sense that the difference comes out of them and not the more versatile Mages/Hunters.[/u][/b]
Edited by Kouzidan on 3/5/2011 9:24 PM PST
90 Human Rogue
bump. Last update on Page 6 dated 3/4/11
85 Gnome Rogue
I personally like that we are the least played class. Kinda fits the mystique of the rogue. Do you really wanna see rogues all over capital cities like mages, druids, palys, and warriors? I dont.

Its better for the game and Blizz if we are a little harder to play and require a higher than normal skill cap to be effective. Ferals dmg and numbers got out of hand, so they got hit. I have no explanation of why mages avoided it. There are several theories, but who really knows.

Anyway, enjoy being a small community. Enjoy the mystique. Enjoy knowing that when people see that yellow dot, they pay closer attention. Enjoy knowing the most people are paniced by the fact that you could be somewhere near them. And most definitely, take pride in the fact that if you can be effective/successful on your rogue, your doing something right and you are a skill cap or 2 above the rest of the wow community. Very rarely is a rogue ever handed a easy win.

What this person said ^
Edited by Tantojutsu on 3/6/2011 12:54 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Rogue
I personally like that we are the least played class. Kinda fits the mystique of the rogue. Do you really wanna see rogues all over capital cities like mages, druids, palys, and warriors? I dont.

Its better for the game and Blizz if we are a little harder to play and require a higher than normal skill cap to be effective. Ferals dmg and numbers got out of hand, so they got hit. I have no explanation of why mages avoided it. There are several theories, but who really knows.

Anyway, enjoy being a small community. Enjoy the mystique. Enjoy knowing that when people see that yellow dot, they pay closer attention. Enjoy knowing the most people are paniced by the fact that you could be somewhere near them. And most definitely, take pride in the fact that if you can be effective/successful on your rogue, your doing something right and you are a skill cap or 2 above the rest of the wow community. Very rarely is a rogue ever handed a easy win.

Going off this I always liked that. Always like pulling off those pinch tank moments while the tank is being battle rezzed or saving some pve tard (or just that they are in pve gear atm) from being ganked by counter ganking.

Rogues are amazing, this is my only max level character and it'll always stay that way.
90 Human Rogue
Bump
85 Dwarf Rogue
I have an 85 of everything but shaman and priest. I still enjoy my warlock and rogue, but I can see why they are so lowly favored, and I want to tell you why.

We are incredibly underpowered. Warlocks and rogues used to be the most feared classes in the game. Now our DPS is laughable and our mechanics impractical.

First, about warlocks; I remember way back in vanilla, you threw your two dots on someone and that was usually it for them unless they had some key cooldowns up. Today, I throw my two dots on people and they regenerate health about as fast as both the dots combined deal damage. DoTs in PVP have become a joke anyway, because now that every class is powered down, any class that is direct damage specd will kill you or heal themselves long before the dots run their course. add to that the fact that fear is now a joke, and the class is very much broken.

But that is just dots and fear. Many warlock skills have not developed in power the same way many other class skills have. For example, in WOTLK, voidwalker's sacrifice spell gave me a 10k shield, and the average warlock had around 30k something health. Today, the shield gives less than 10k, and the average lock has 100 to 110k health. Suffering shield went from providing 1/3rd the lock's health to 1/10th his health. Many other warlock skills are similarly effected like chaos bolt, what a joke its damage is.

For rogues, many of the same things have happened. It used to be that I could ambush and stunlock a clothie as sub, and pretty much kill them. These days, if I do not bleed them up first and then use shadow dance, I will not come close. They tried to turn sub into a "in combat" spec, making you have to stay in combat as long as your bleeds or recuperate lasts, but that is the exact opposite of what sub spec was made for. Assasin and combat spec became more like warrior specs with the same intent of keeping the rogue in unstealthed combat longer, but its as if whoever was in charge of the rogue class forgot how rogues work. It is like they are breaking classes on purpose.

I used to love my lock and rogue the most. Now I cant stand them. I love my other classes much much more. They broke these classes.
In the last two days I've heard the following.

From a healer -
"Rogues make life easier for the rest of us."
"YUP! lol"

and from a tank -

"A good rogue is a rare and beautiful thing. <3"

I'll take underrepresented vs FotM any day.
90 Worgen Hunter
I've been following this thread for some time now and what the OP's numbers are actually showing is an average of 10% loss in all classes at level cap. This could be indicative of players leaving the game, of course data coming from WoW Census is somewhat questionable.
90 Human Rogue
As of Today 3/18/2011 - Rogues are the least played class with 85,347 total characters at level 85. This accounts for 5.7% of the total population in US Servers.

Only characters level 85 that have been seen in the past 30 days are included in this data.

Here's the Breakdown (US Servers Only):
Rank Classes Population Percentage Since 3/5 Since 4.0.6
#1 Paladin 198,752 13.4% -14,132 -32,335
#2 Druid 159,263 10.7% -13,222 -29,189
#3 Deathknigt 143,196 9.6% -8,612 -19,211
#4 Hunter 142,651 9.6% -6,419 -14,329
#5 Mage 138,339 9.3% -9,731 -24,123
#6 Priest 128,498 8.6% -8,170 -14,955
#7 Warrior 123,651 8.3% -9,060 -23,650
#8 Shaman 116,612 7.8% -8,950 -22,190
#9 Warlock 89,491 6.0% -8,967 -18,598
#10 Rogue 85,347 5.7% -5,428 -11,329

-----------------------------------------------------

Here's the Breakdown (EURO Servers Only):
Rank Classes Population Percentage 3/5/11 Since 4.0.6
#1 Paladin 140,755 12.6% -11,109 -27,033
#2 Druid 123,723 11.1% -10,855 -25,316
#3 Mage 104,809 9.4% -10,051 -22,356
#4 Warrior 100,324 9.0% -7,877 -23,900
#5 Priest 100,287 9.0% -7,183 -13,646
#6 Deathknigt 99,831 8.9% -8,020 -15,698
#7 Hunter 99,052 8.9% -5,855 -10,100
#8 Shaman 89,766 8.0% -4,758 -20,212
#9 Warlock 67,644 6.0% -8,742 -18,944
#10 Rogue 60,085 5.4% -4,388 -10,945

There are now 11,329 less level 85 rogues in US Servers since Patch 4.0.6
There are now 10,945 less level 85 rogues in Euro Servers combined since Patch 4.0.6

Overall Rogue Population has decreased by 22,744 at level 85 since the 2/14/11 Patch 4.0.6.
Overall Rogue Population has decreased by 9,816 since 3/5/2011 update.

Data taken from: http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census

Please sign and sticky!
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Blizz needs to bring back mechanics that favor rogue abilities... Like disarm trap!

Lets bring back the suppression room in the new firelands raid! :D
72 Night Elf Rogue
02/08/2011 7:57 PMPosted by Napesmack
When Hunters, who everyone agrees is broken in PvP, has about 60% more representation than Rogues...that's saying something.

The numbers you're looking at right now are CUMULATIVE 85s. Look at PvP turnouts. Hunters are pretty close to last in high-end arena showings (if not actually last, I don't look often) but they're very good in PvE which accounts for why they're still higher than rogues.
68 Undead Hunter
It seems to me that the developers just don't know where to go with the class.

Throughout release until recently the class functioned around stun-locks, but other players found that to be annoying, much like a Shaman's 2H Stormstrike one-shotting everyone. I guess the developers in order to appease those players decided to try and focus on giving a rogue more survivability and less dependency on stun-locks to balance it out. However, if the class was originally designed this way, it's hard to take it in another direction and I feel like they just don't know what direction that is.

I don't like getting stunned to near death anymore than the next guy, but they need to return to that model a little bit, because that's how the class was originally intended to function.
90 Undead Rogue
I feel honored. Even though I'm not an amazingly geared rogue who pulls massive deeps like some of my other rogue friends Rogue is still fun as hell and I'm still honored that my main is the least played<3 Just how I like it.
85 Night Elf Rogue
Let's take a look at the latest numbers for US realms (posted today by OP).

To preface: There are currently ten classes in WoW. In a perfect split, every class would have 10% representation. I will be going off of the percentages given in the data for ease of calculation (I'm lazy), but it's important to note that the given percentages total up to 95.3% population. Re-calculating the 'perfect split' for this new overall, each class would have 9.53% representation in a 'perfect split'.

Do take into consideratioon that even though death knights, warriors, paladins, and druids can all tank, not all of them are tanks nor are all priests or shaman healers. Break down the classes by possible role type in a raid/dungeon.

Druids are effectively 3 roles in one, paladins are 3, DKs/warriors/priests/shamans/ each are 2. Even though the overall population of each class isn't a perfect split among their roles, each of the hybrids roles should fall roughly within the same population range of warlocks/rogues.

Now we can argue that mages and hunters are overpopulated when compared to all others when broken down by their role.
Edited by Kouzidan on 3/23/2011 9:00 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]