Using addons for guild recruitment...?

36 Human Warlock
I have recently come across mention of such things and decided to give it a try given how people were raving about the huge number of new members these addons brought in. So, one evening, I downloaded it and set it up. I got the Guild Recruiter addon and created a tactful (I hope) message that it would send out with the guild invites. I was pleasantly surprised to see some people accept the invites, and some even ended up bring more of their toons to our guild! I would say for about every 10 invites, we got 1-2 people to join.

However, despite the success of that evening, I've been feeling a little bit awkward about using the addon again as I am afraid that this might upset/anger some people because all of a sudden they get this random message and a guild invite. What do you guys think about use of these addons in order to recruit members into your guild ranks? If you were on the receiving end (assuming you were not in a guild; I have the addon set to only send invites to guildless people) of this, what would be your reaction?
48 Dwarf Shaman
Personally, if I'm leveling a toon, and I get a random whisper inviting me to join the guild, I might actually do it... IF they let me answer before sending the invite. From the sounds of your addon, it would be a automatic rejection from me, due to you being "impolite."

But if you are getting people to join, and you don't have any other problems, then go for it I guess. It sounds good for a leveling guild, and with the new guild advancement stuff, a lot of the smaller leveling guilds are dying out. If that addon is helping your guild live, use it.

Be warned that this method does carry some cons as well. You won't really ever be a respected guild on your server if you do this. Plus, you might have a hard time if you ever want to start raiding, as that requires you to be a bit more selective, and the experienced raiders won't ever join a guild that has the recruiting practices you do.
27 Blood Elf Warrior
Ok dude I did the same thing. Got a mod that did that. I did get a lot of ppl to join my guild. But I ended up getting suspended for 3 hours from blizzard. The mod i had didn't spam ppl it only sent 1 msg and 1 invite. Then it would not msg that person again for 10 days. But I guess I got reported for spamming or something. Because blizzard said I had been spamming even though it only sent the msg to ppl that had different names it would never send it to the same person unless it was 10 days later. So you might wana look for another type of addon or something. Because you might end up getting suspended for spamming. Just wanted to let you know.
85 Dwarf Shaman
Those addons are blindingly irritating.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Personally, when you recieve a guild invite, that's what it is. An INVITATION. It's like recieving a party invitation or wedding or whatever. You may choose to accept it or not, but it certainly isn't RUDE to send one out. People who get upset because they are 'bothered' by invitations and whispers have no place in a guild anyway.
85 Draenei Paladin
01/07/2012 01:00 PMPosted by Swarlêy
Personally, when you recieve a guild invite, that's what it is. An INVITATION. It's like recieving a party invitation or wedding or whatever. You may choose to accept it or not, but it certainly isn't RUDE to send one out. People who get upset because they are 'bothered' by invitations and whispers have no place in a guild anyway.

Except for the fact that these addons do this blindly and without thought on the user's behalf. I get so sick of being spammed an invite, decline it, only to get respammed again.. and again.. and again.. by the same person using these addons.

These are not thought out invites. These invites are the equivalent of opening up the phone book and sending out a party invite to every person in there whether or not you know them or even give a darn about them personally.

I now set guild invites to be ignored on every new alt I make because of people like this. It's a shame I have to resort to this.

To anyone considering using such an addon, Blizzard looks upon mass inviting as spam and will action people as such. This has been confirmed by people going to the CS forum and asking why they were suspended/muted for spamming.
90 Dwarf Shaman
@Mat - like Evalorae pointed out, it is very simple to auto-block all guild invites, which solves that problem quite effectively.

I have a couple alts, like this one, I prefer to leave unguilded. For one thing, its good to get away from people for a bit. For another thing, I won't join a guild unless I can commit a fair bit of time to it. I don't feel its fair otherwise.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I am not trying to defend the addon. I personally don't use them. I was mostly arguing against people who hate receiving invites.
But, if I may actually defend the use of this addon: I believe some of these addons allow you to remove certain names/people from the /who /invite part of it. (I read through the addon itself), so it is the fault of those who don't use this feature rather than the addon itself.
19 Gnome Rogue

It can easily be considered rude when one does not know the person sending the invitation in any way.

People get invitations everyday sent to their spam folder in their e-mail why? Because its is spam.

If someone sends me an honest whisper and it is obvious that they are sending it to "me" alone then sure I politely decline. But sending an invitation out of the blue is very bad etiquette and sending auto messages is downright "rude".
80 Human Paladin
I personally have tried to make 3 mass invite guilds. 1st one Got only a few people, a terrible reputation, and I got hatred from a few people. 2nd one was on a new server, I had like 250 people in 45 minutes of starting it but it was just a test so the guild became inactive. 3rd one (Current) I decided to just individually whisper people (guildless) and ask them if they would like to join, no invite until they answer Yes or No, I have gotten people that appreciate that MUCH more then a spam and invite. So while it might require more work, I prefer to individually invite people, though it may be harder. So, /agree with Mat's first post.
Edit: Fixed Grammar.
Edited by Blàdes on 1/9/2012 3:45 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Hunter
I agree with Blades. An addon is so impersonal to the players and it gives an overall impression that the guild you're inviting someone to is cold and aloof. That's not something most people are wanting to come into. I would definitely create something more personal and 'from you' rather than something generic.

I personally use:
"Hi, I'm sure you're busy but I'd like to extend an invitation to our guild, <insert guild name here> and was wondering if you might be interested. We have a GB (mention of number of tabs is optional but not mandatory), & tabard. We also run dungeons, raids, and BGs a lot. Oh, and we are very friendly! Would you be interested in joining us? There's no pressure to stay if you decide you don't like us. ^_^

Something like that or your own personal message would go a much longer way and is more likely to gain you members for the long-term vs. someone who is likely to be in and out of your guild in less than half an hour. And it begins your relationship with your guild members on a good, solid footing, which is likely to keep it active a lot longer than other guilds who appear to whither off and die (so sad to see them go... *cry*).

So please please please don't use an addon, people really do appreciate it so much more when you are actually inviting them and not a program blindly doing it for you. ^_^
90 Night Elf Druid

Getting a random "whisper" if you are an un-guilded player asking if you are interrested in joining a guild is one thing. It is personal and give you the chance to say "Thank you for the offer, but I am not interrested in joining a guild at this time" or "Certainly, I'd be happy to join, I've been looking for a guild!".

If I get a wedding (birthday, graduation, etc.) invitation in my mail or e-mail I have the option of putting it aside until I decide to deal with it, answering it right away or of completely ignoring it. A polite "whisper" in game is basically the same, I can answer or ignore at my disgression.

Random spam stating a guild recruitment message along with a pop up invitation you did not ask for is something entirely different. The "pop-up" across my screen cannot be ignored, it must be answered right then. Kind of not the same thing.

These add-on's are irritating to the non-guilded player and lazy on the part of the recruiter. Not to mention, if you are reported for "spam" you can be suspended (for a length of time determined by number of past offences and level of offence). Also, they are not guaranteed to only "spam" un-guilded players. They are extremely irritating to players who are actually in a guild. (I have gotten them several times on guilded characters.)

--

You would get more response if you took the time to actually look up players in a particular area in the /who tab then sent them a personal "whisper" to ones in the level range you are interested in recruiting instead of using the add-on. Some will politely decline. Some will ignore you all-together. Some will join. Very few will be irritated by a personal message.
Edited by Malorei on 1/30/2012 8:56 AM PST
I have guild invites turned off on my alts, but unfortunately it doesn't stop the whispers. I have been lucky though, i usually don't get 'spammed' by these addons. They can be annoying, but for some leveling guilds I can see how they could be useful.
90 Night Elf Rogue
On my server if your guildless for more than 2 mins and still online you get a spam message. We have too many fail guilds and guilds wanting to get started and its all because people can't get along. Honestly unless I know someone in the guild I decline. Why would I want to be in someones guild at lvl 3 or lower knowing they only left their last guild because of drama. I'd rather keep the drama to a low, raid, and mind my own business and go to the guilds that can use a good dps, heals, or tank.

Yes its an invitation, but when MANY people have that add on and when you have more than one toon on that server guildless, its annyoing to get spammed as soon as you long in by like 2 or 3 guilds you know you don't want to join because of their own person drama issues. That and those addons do spam. ALOT!
90 Pandaren Shaman
Quite frankly these add-ons are borderline botting, and blizzard should be getting rid of them.

My guild will gkick one particular raider whenever he screws up (its an inside joke), and rather recently we've had to stop horsing around with this kind of thing specifically because people run these add-ons and they have zero etiquette with them. Nothing like busting our arses on spine, call a wipe, and some random guild shoots our raider a ginvite and he accepts because he thought it was us for the perks. Completely wipes his grep, because some %#%!wad is running an add-on that auto invites 85s.

Hell when I transferred over I was absolutely bombarded with these stupid invites while I waited the 5 minutes to get my invite from the correct guild. I shouldn't have to auto decline guild invites just because I'm waititng for a response from the correct guild.

Anyone running those add-ons is a complete richard nose, and the most frustrating part about them is telling someone off and getting responses like
"Chill its just an addon"
"I can't control it"
"I only invited you once"

I only actuallu rage at people for it when I get multiple invites in under ten minutes. Its just frustrating.

I'd describe this stuff as telemarketing, not receiving a special invitation, because this is crazy in your face.
Theres a couple of guild recruitment addons.

Super Guild Inviter is a nice one. I know one of my officers uses this addon to invite members to the guild. Although as pointed out it is annoying to receive multiple invites which is what SuperGuildInviter prevents. It blacklists people that have declined the invitation to where they do not receive another invitation (unless they make a new toon who is guildless.)

You have the choice of sending a whisper only with no invite or vise versa OR sending an invite only.

The rules in our guild is to send a whisper only and not to reset the blacklist. This gives someone the opportunity to message us back and have a full length conversation with them rather them joining the guild with a random invite and causing a scene.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]