Blizzard Locking You to one Computer?

(Locked)

85 Human Death Knight
Im writing this to get a answer on one thing. Is Blizzard randomly locking your account to one IP address and one only. Let me explain.

In my house my brother and I both play wow on the same home network, on different pcs.
Just now upon loggin on his account had been locked with the reason " We have noticed a change in your acces pattern ."

First, this reason seems fishy to me anyway, since our computers are both secure and virus free and so are our email, i personaly know since i have maintained the software and security on both for the past 3 years.

Since both of my computers are on the same home network, in the same house, id expect to be able to play on either of them freely, without worrying about stupid things as IP addresses assigned by my router.

The ONLY variance on the " Suspicious " account activity, was that he logged into wow, on MY second computer, in the same house, under the same home network - just to show some newly aquired gear and achievments ; that only lasted a few mins.

So - Just because the second WoW account of my household, logged into a different computer, on the same network add you, it was flagged due to a " suspicious change in account play "?

Needless to say the solution was just a password change and we are currently playing together again. But in the future, i would like to know if I am locked into my ip address and computer. Because honestly if you look at the accounts accessed through my IP, you will see a few actually due to friends playin wow with me, here at home. And never once did my friends accounts have the suspicious change in access pattern junk.

I dont mean to sound rude or short, im genuinly curious.

thanks juneberry
25 Night Elf Druid
They do this as an added layer of protection against account hackers.

Once a pattern is established, it'll stop.
100 Human Mage
It's possible your IP address recently changed. This is something your ISP might do behind the scenes for their own reasons. Usually when it happens, it's completely transparent to you, the end user, and you never know it; it just so happened that in this case it triggered Blizzard's security mechanisms.

Another possibility is that someone actually did try to log in to your account illicitly, in which case the system protected you.

Barring either of those, if it really did get triggered from simply logging in from a different computer, then the system will learn those access patterns in time and won't bother you any more.

So no, you are not restricted to just using one computer. I, personally, regularly log in from 3 different computers at 2 different locations.
3 Draenei Shaman
Ive never had an issue logging in, I dont know if its due to having an authenticator attached but Ive successfully moved to different states several times without triggering this security measure (this also has not happened on my fiance's account)

I dont think logging into another pc on the same network would trigger. Unless the Blizzard measures detect where the data is being fully sent (for instance for all intents and purposes anything beyond the router into the internet is seen as 'one' entity even if you have multiple computers on at one, its the routers job to distribute data to the pcs that called for it)

I never got my N+ but did have to learn basic networking for A+ Cert and Im pretty sure with routers/modems it is the only thing seen when data is being received and transmitted when talking to a site or server.
Edited by Flurrie on 2/9/2011 9:16 AM PST
3 Draenei Shaman
02/09/2011 9:12 AMPosted by Moojerk
It's possible your IP address recently changed. This is something your ISP might do behind the scenes for their own reasons. Usually when it happens, it's completely transparent to you, the end user, and you never know it; it just so happened that in this case it triggered Blizzard's security mechanisms.
This is incredibly unlikely, since the geographical location didn't change.

Remember the blizzard system looks for a GEOGRAPHICAL change. A different IP won't trigger this in and of itself. My friends come here and play all the time, along with my brother, etc. And we never get locked out because the geographical location really didn't change.

If it was a mere IP change, 99% of people would get locked out constantly, since pretty much everyone has a dynamic IP address that changes as often as every 24 hours.

Depends on how the database indexing those IP addresses are built, if its out of date or incorrect you can be seen in a different location. While this is highly unlikely it has happened before. I used to do tech support for Verizon and there was a set of IPs they aquired that used to belong to a French Company and customers would get routed to French Google instead of english since Google thought their IP was elsewhere. Again this scenario isnt common but has a slim chance to happen.

Also with IP changes, yes you do get a 'new' ip address every 24 hrs but in 99% of the cases you get the same one back, it can change but they usually just lease you the same IP back
Edited by Flurrie on 2/9/2011 9:17 AM PST
100 Human Mage
02/09/2011 9:15 AMPosted by Flurrie
Depends on how the database indexing those IP addresses are built, if its out of date or incorrect you can be seen in a different location. While this is highly unlikely it has happened before. I used to do tech support for Verizon and there was a set of IPs they aquired that used to belong to a French Company and customers would get routed to French Google instead of english since Google thought their IP was elsewhere. Again this scenario isnt common but has a slim chance to happen

There's more to Blizzard's system than Geolocation, too. The one time I triggered this mechanism, I was trying to log in on my laptop through the University wifi. The University IP address and my home ISP IP address both have the same city reported back through those geolocation tools, which tells me that they do more than just look up your IP's location. And yet, when I actually did log in from another city (another state, actually) about a week ago, I had no issues. That, in turn, tells me that it is conceivable that under certain circumstances, it would be possible for an IP address change at the ISP level could trigger Blizzard's system. It would be rare, for sure, but I wouldn't rule out that possibility.

I don't know everything that Blizzard's system looks at. It seems unlikely that logging in from a different computer on a home network (read: same public IP) would trigger it, but without more information I can't completely rule it out.
Blizzard Employee
I would like to know if I am locked into my IP address and computer.
The short answer is no, Juneberry.

As Thunderwulf mentioned, your account is being locked by a security feature that we have implemented to protect you against unauthorized account access. The security feature will lock the account when the access pattern changes and an e-mail will be sent to you. As long as you reset your password from your current location you will be able to login.

Unfortunately I am unable to provide you with specific information as to what else we look for when we determine a change in access pattern. If you recently logged in in a new location, reset your password and the system will learn it.
3 Draenei Shaman
Does having an authenticator attached have any bearing on the security feature? Ive never seen that get triggered in any time my patterns change.
85 Night Elf Priest
Im writing this to get a answer on one thing. Is Blizzard randomly locking your account to one IP address and one only. Let me explain.

In my house my brother and I both play wow on the same home network, on different pcs.
Just now upon loggin on his account had been locked with the reason " We have noticed a change in your acces pattern ."

First, this reason seems fishy to me anyway, since our computers are both secure and virus free and so are our email, i personaly know since i have maintained the software and security on both for the past 3 years.

Since both of my computers are on the same home network, in the same house, id expect to be able to play on either of them freely, without worrying about stupid things as IP addresses assigned by my router.

The ONLY variance on the " Suspicious " account activity, was that he logged into wow, on MY second computer, in the same house, under the same home network - just to show some newly aquired gear and achievments ; that only lasted a few mins.

So - Just because the second WoW account of my household, logged into a different computer, on the same network add you, it was flagged due to a " suspicious change in account play "?

Needless to say the solution was just a password change and we are currently playing together again. But in the future, i would like to know if I am locked into my ip address and computer. Because honestly if you look at the accounts accessed through my IP, you will see a few actually due to friends playin wow with me, here at home. And never once did my friends accounts have the suspicious change in access pattern junk.

I dont mean to sound rude or short, im genuinly curious.

thanks juneberry

I would venture to guess that someone outside of your home attempted to log onto his account and they locked it... I would keep an eye on things just in case... My daughters closed account got hacked about a year ago after it had been closed for over 6 months and not touched.

Again we have a very security home network... Have an IT security tech living here, so I know it is safe.. But somehow they managed to get to her account from the outside, before they had this system in place. After that I put her account under my authenticator even though it is a closed account...

Just keep vigilant
87 Night Elf Death Knight
I play at my fathers house in TN and im wondering if i would be allowed to play on my PC in TX without my acc being locked is this possible?
05/21/2012 01:30 PMPosted by Deciplex
I play at my fathers house in TN and im wondering if i would be allowed to play on my PC in TX without my acc being locked is this possible?

Probably not possible for it to never be locked, but it's easy enough to unlock. But you can't turn the service off.

Also in general you should start your own thread so it doesn't get missed by having people think they already posted.
85 Undead Warlock

Maybe, maybe not. Only trying will get you an accurate answer.
Support Forum Agent

You may play from practically any location you wish, Deciplex. However, we try to do what we can to help protect accounts from compromise so if there is a dramatic change to how you normally access the account it may be required for you to validate that play session.

If you play between the two locations on a continuous basis you'll establish a history and may not be challenged doing so.

You may want to look into picking up an Authenticator to help secure your account. I'd also recommend looking into our Battle.net SMS Protest system as it can help unlock an account if the security system locks it.

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battlenet-sms-protect
100 Troll Hunter
05/22/2012 03:18 AMPosted by Leggylass
unnecessary

Considering that this feature has cut down instances of account theft by a large amount, I would argue the use of the quoted term...
100 Human Priest
happened to me back when they started doing this...but it really was not a big deal. yeah..i had to call and find out what was wrong...and i freaked thinking i was 'hacked'....but only happened about three times and since then i guess it 'knows' my computers. i like the extra protection - but hated that feeling of "crap...all my stuff is gone". lol.
Support Forum Agent
And since this thread is from February of last year, locking.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]