Home and World Latency

97 Pandaren Shaman
Wanted to get a little more clarity on this. If home is our computer and we're coasting at 66 to 80 ms and the world is at 200 or above, is there any way to lower this? Does this mean it's Blizzard's servers if world goes 4900 ms?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Latency is the time it takes a packet to travel from your computer to the destination computer and for the acknowledgement of that packet to return to you.

This is a simplified diagram:
[Your Computer] --[Your Router] -- [Your ISP] --[Giant cloud of backbone providers and middle-tier service providers] -- [Blizzard's Datacenter for your server]

There's a lot of places in there for something to go wrong - especially in the "Giant cloud" part. Usually though the problem is on your end, because if there were a major problem in the "giant cloud part" there would be lots of screaming and yelling from major companies who rely on that data traffic.

If your latency numbers (as displayed by the game) are usually 200 or lower, then congratulations, you're doing just fine. If you get spikes into the 4900 range that could be a problem your ISP needs to look into.

If you're seeing 4900 numbers all the time, then it's a problem on your end. Check out your hardware, replace cables/splitters, etc.

Reply Quote
Unkle I can see you are trying to be helpful but he is specifically talking about the new Home latency and World Latency figures that were introduced in the latest patch. He is curious as to specifically what each refers to. I'm assuming home is the old number and is just client to server latency, but I am also unsure as to what world means. Is it the average latency for the server?

Clarification would be great.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
I'm thinking it's world pvp, but could be wrong.
Reply Quote
I'm curious also.

My home latency is around 50ms (which is my pint to most places).

My world latency is around 250 ms (which is about 100 ms higher than it was prior to this patch ... before the shattering, I always saw the 50ms #)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
So, what exactly means both home and world latency, introduced in patch 4.0.6?

For me, they show:
181 ms (home)
188 ms (world)
Reply Quote
88 Troll Mage
Bump on this please.
I actually have an ISP tech comming over soon, and wow is the easiest way to point out im having lag issues.. would help if i knew what Home and World meant so i dont sound like an idoit when they get here. :S
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
I'v been curious as to what these two numbers are as well :O!
My world ms seems to be drastically higher than my home ms, curious as to how this affects game play and what not.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
i seem to have a similar problem right now, my home latency is about 250ms and my world latency is around 15000ms does anyone know what the problem might be and how to fix it?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
bump!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Im having the same problem can u let me know if u find out whats the problem
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Home is the ping to your gateway
World is the ping to the server

If your home ping is high it points to local network congestion, such as someone in your house downloading torrents, etc.

The world ping is the number that was always there before...
Edited by Indoorsman on 2/8/2011 5:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I believe both refer to blizzard servers. The home server for the location you are in and the world server for realm. Who would be a query against the world server while the channel list would be a query against the home server. Definitely outlands and such is done that way. When BC came out you could have the outlands or azeroth drash while continued playing on the other.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Home is the ping to your gateway
World is the ping to the server

If your home ping is high it points to local network congestion, such as someone in your house downloading torrents, etc.

The world ping is the number that was always there before...

You guys need to quit spreading mis information about this when you don't know the facts.
Home is definitly not the ping to a gateway. Anyone with a clue can test that. Most home numbers are withing 10% of world.. so if your gateway ping was that high.. you would be in trouble.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
bumpy bump. can we get a definitive answer on this please?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
I'm confused about this also... which value am I supposed to be reading. What ms value is the correct one. The right explanation would be appreciated since there was nothing about this on the patch notes.

Cheers
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I would also like to see a definition to "home" and "world" in this context.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]