How does Discovery work for engineering?

85 Gnome Warrior
So I'm new to this whole discovering recipes thing.. basically I can discover any recipe from 450-525 from any craft? So to avoid hitting 525 without getting all discoveries, do I want to make a lot of gray stuff? Also, does color of craft determine the chance of discovery?

I just really want to get Tazik Shocker, and of course I don't want to miss out on any other important schematics, is there a good strategy to go about this?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Just level to 525. If you don't have all the discoveries at that point, you will get them by simply making Obsidium Bolts. There is no special work involved.

Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
Oh wow.. thanks! So gray crafts will still proc discoveries at 525?

EDIT: I read on Patch notes Overpowered Chicken Splitter is required to discover things at 525.. the mats req is pretty big, is it better to farm for it pre525 via bolts?
Edited by Trippon on 2/9/2011 2:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I don't know about all grays, but Obsidium Bolts will.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Trippon, at 525, any Cataclysm engineering recipe should net you a discovery, despite what the patch notes said. I personally got my final tinker via making an ether and I know others have done the same by making bolts.
Reply Quote
02/09/2011 6:19 PMPosted by Burroc
Trippon, at 525, any Cataclysm engineering recipe should net you a discovery, despite what the patch notes said. I personally got my final tinker via making an ether and I know others have done the same by making bolts.

This, I was worried about the patch notes too. At 525, I had one more discovery to make, but I didn't want to have to make the Overpowered Chicken Splitter to make my final discovery.

Instead, when I finally got my first Chaos Orb to make my goggles, I made my final discovery on the first Electrified Ether I made, which was gray.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
At this moment i have a lvl 70 twink with 450 engineering. I only discovered 1 tinker. Would i discover any other tinkers by making obsidium bolts?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Oh wow.. thanks! So gray crafts will still proc discoveries at 525?

EDIT: I read on Patch notes Overpowered Chicken Splitter is required to discover things at 525.. the mats req is pretty big, is it better to farm for it pre525 via bolts?

No, that's not it. If you have any remaining discoveries, the OPCS is guaranteed to make sure you get all of them. Any other craft has a chance to let you discover something.

08/06/2011 11:02 PMPosted by Oreoo
At this moment i have a lvl 70 twink with 450 engineering. I only discovered 1 tinker. Would i discover any other tinkers by making obsidium bolts?

No.
Edited by Shalura on 8/7/2011 10:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
70 Human Rogue
Im gonna twink at lvl 70. And im 450 Engineering already. I made my discovery already. Its the armor one to gloves. Is there anyway possible way that anyone knows of that you can still make discoveries by creating Greys or Cata items? Has anyone tested this out?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
10/05/2011 09:27 AMPosted by Deadmaú
Im gonna twink at lvl 70. And im 450 Engineering already. I made my discovery already. Its the armor one to gloves. Is there anyway possible way that anyone knows of that you can still make discoveries by creating Greys or Cata items? Has anyone tested this out?

No, you have to relearn the whole profession if you want to get a new tinker...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]