Glyphs - What are they and how do I set up?

43 Human Warlock
I noticed the Glyphs but didn't understand how to use them since all of the options were grayed out. I bought some cheaper ones in the auction house but I can't figure out how to set them up.

I'm a affliction warlock. Can anyone explain glyphs to me, how they work and how they are set up. Maybe even some guides for the type of warlock I am? Thank you very much <3333
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Once you buy them and have them in your backpack, you right click on them to learn them. Make sure you are getting Warlock glyphs, as they are class specific.

Once you have learned them, press n to bring up your talent sheet and go to the glyphs tab. Right click on the glyph you want to use, then left click on the appropriate open spot. You get 1 each of Prime, Major, and Minor at 25, 1 more of each at 50, and finally 1 more of each at 75 for a total of 3 slots of each type.

As for which are the best glyphs to use for a warlock, I can't help you, you may find good information in the warlock section.

EDIT: I found this info in the Warlock section:

PVE GLYPHS

Prime

affl-Glyph of Haunt, Glyph of Bane of Agony, Glyph of Lash of Pain (if using succubus), and Glyph of Corruption(if using felhunter)
demo-Glyph of Immolate, Glyph of Incinerate (if using felguard), Glyph of Metamorphosis, Glyph of Imp (if using imp)
destro-Glyph of Immolate, Glyph of Conflagrate, Glyph of Imp

Major

affl-Glyph of Life Tap, Glyph of Soul Swap, Glyph of Shadow Bolt, Glyph of Fear* (if you need fear drop either LT or Shadowbolt glyphs)
demo-Glyph of Life Tap, Glyph of Shadow Bolt, Glyph of Fear*
destro-Glyph of Life Tap, Glyph of Fear*

*Mandatory for Crowd Control purposes only

Minor
-whatever you want except get Glyph of Curse of Exhaustion if you spec into it.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1009751028
Edited by Wërth on 2/9/2011 4:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
43 Human Warlock
Hey thank you so much. Where do I get them? Does my trainer teach them to me or do I win them in dungeons? This has really helped : D
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Glyphs are made by other players with Inscription, so you'll have to have another player give/trade them to you or buy them on the Auction House.

Beware, a lot of them sell for high prices. If you don't have that kind of gold to spare, don't worry TOO much about getting them right away. They're not essential as you level, but can be helpful. You definitely want them at end game, though.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
If you don't have the gold but do want some glyphs, prime ones have more of an effect than major, and major more than minor. Minor glyphs are usually just for convenience or looks. Like some of the minor glyphs for a mage make my polymorph spell turn a mob into a penguin or monkey instead of a sheep. I don't use them though, because I like fluffy sheep.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Mage
where can i get one to turn there into a monkey in stead of a sheep lol
Reply Quote
04/30/2011 10:39 AMPosted by Apocalyptic
where can i get one to turn there into a monkey in stead of a sheep lol
The same place you get every other glyph.

02/09/2011 05:13 PMPosted by Cerylia
Glyphs are made by other players with Inscription, so you'll have to have another player give/trade them to you or buy them on the Auction House.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/09/2011 05:21 PMPosted by Wërth
If you don't have the gold but do want some glyphs, prime ones have more of an effect than major, and major more than minor. Minor glyphs are usually just for convenience or looks. Like some of the minor glyphs for a mage make my polymorph spell turn a mob into a penguin or monkey instead of a sheep.

This is way more of a rule at 85 than while leveling - a lot of the prime glyphs give +x% damage to an ability, which is really good at level cap but not all that noticeable when solo or in fast dungeons instead of raid boss fights, while a lot of the 'better effect glyphs' are majors. Things like glyph of Victory Rush for warriors (+50% to your self-healing ability) or glyph of fear for warlocks (enemies don't run and grab friends) don't make any difference on a raid boss, but are huge when leveling. Meanwhile +3% haunt damage is not really noticeable alone, and the 4 seconds on bane of agony are meaningless if mobs are dying before the unglyphed version finishes.

Also, some minor glyphs have really big effects. For example, the warrior minor glyph for intimidating shout makes enemies cower in place instead of running around, which makes intimidating shout massively more useful anywhere that the enemies might run and pull in other mobs (it's like the fear glyph is for warlocks). The druid aquatic form glyph is minor in most zones, but in Vashjir it means you don't need to use the underwater mount at all.

If you're trying to save money, focus on glyphs that do something noticeable for the way you're leveling.
Reply Quote
70 Orc Hunter
Once learned, you never loose a glyph. You can replace a glyph with another one with Vanishing Powder" obtainable from a vendor who sells inscription supplies.
A glyph can also be used for more than one spec. On locks, I usually pick up glyph of immolate as it can be a prime glyph for two specs.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
You will want glyph of Unstable affliction over bane of agony.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]