Thank You !

90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm a casual Archaeologist, I dig for the surprise free gift - whatever comes up is fine with me, even the 5th shell necklace.

My latest rare was the dwarf pet robot (omgsocute) and it seemed like the chance for dwarf sites to proc was pretty frequent. Like it knew I wanted more dwarf fragments. It did this for the rare before this...forgot what it was.

Also got my first TH dig site - right by some nasty little elite dwarf with like 800k health doing that warrior spin thing. Took me 2 deaths to kill him (at least his health didn't reset) so I could dig up whatever was under his feet. I shouldn't have to kill a boss level bastarge, solo, just for a fragment. This is an inequity and beyond the oft-whined-about f'd up RNG rudeness.

(oops, sorry Lady Luck - didn't mean to say anything bad about RNG. I'll never disparage the random, it's bad luck! Pretend not to care about that sword/staff/trinket and it'll show up!)

Oh, starting babbling and forgot: Thank you for the shorter dig CD and the gob of gold from the gray garbage. Much less teeth-gnashing involved during green lights. =)

Edited by Vixie on 2/10/2011 1:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
02/10/2011 1:55 PMPosted by Xadoryl
What's this about more frequent Tolvir digsites? That was never mentioned in the patch notes.

I'm curious about this too.

Because if they DID up the rate of T'V sites coming up...RNG hates me even more than I realized. =/
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
02/10/2011 11:13 AMPosted by Nethaera
Hey just wanted to say thank you blizz for the improvements to acheaology. More Tol Vir sites and you make some decent coin while farming it. : ) thanks guys!

Great to hear that the change is helping. We'll continue keeping a close eye on things.

I do not feel confident that the developers are making changes that benefit the profession as a whole.

Archaeology is the only profession that is purely based on RNG. A major flaw in itself.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1869249899
Reply Quote
To any blue poster :

It is still a sink time consuming.

In addition, i am personnally using max distance with my camera and its very annoying to be forced to check where that thing is pointing. Any way to implement a beam on witch direction he is pointing will be alot more helpful.

And i still find the CD on survey is too annoying itself. I was expecting a complete removal on that CD because admit it, it is time consuming for nothing atm unless you can tell us some of your intention to calm the emotion of your players.
Ty
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Hey just wanted to say thank you blizz for the improvements to acheaology. More Tol Vir sites and you make some decent coin while farming it. : ) thanks guys!

Great to hear that the change is helping. We'll continue keeping a close eye on things.

Are you serious..... No offense Nethera as i do appreciate the response.....Close eye on things but can't answer one question thread?

Of all the threads with questions, concerns or ranting raging... you pick the one kissing your butts to respond?

Is this blizzards idea of how customer service works? I'm pretty damn offended right now.

How about a simple yes/no answer in some of these threads. Someone posts "could i get an answer if this is bugged?" and can't get a response but this guy does after all this time?

No wonder this game is hemoragging subs. I'll be surprised if i'm still subscribed by the end of this week..... what an insult....

Oh and before the trolls start.... even a negative response in a thread from a blue would at least give us some answer.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I tend to forget to post the positive stuff. So yes - thanks!

Archaeology could still use some work, (what couldn't?) but you've addressed some of the major issues, and I appreciate it.

I have to disagree with you there. They haven't addressed any of the issues with this profession. The amount of gold to be made from it was never a concern, nor was it ever advertised as a profitable profession.

And to Nethaera:

Its design is quite frustrating, as many have attested to in this thread, other threads, the 107 page thread you locked without a word, and the current 36 page thread filled with ideas with a negligible amount of trolling. You haven't addressed the concerns about this profession's design on a base level. Who cares about gold? Want gold? Go focus on a primary profession. This secondary profession is not about making gold. It is about finding artifacts of value/interest to the player base.

Here is your civil discourse. Here is your constructive posting. Here is your flame free positive forums environments. How about you respond to the concerns stated here?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1869249899?page=1
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
What do you think a Blue post will do in a thread that's already rife with senseless emotion and foam-at-the-mouth mad people? Don't you think they know not to add more fuel to the fire?

I don't know what people expect from Archaeology. If you can eliminate sites you already discovered all (as if they won't add more things in later) so you end up Only with dig sites of the race you're trying to get the rare epic gear, then what. Same with being able to trade useless fragments for ones you want. It'll be like shooting fish in a barrel.ou may still not get it, being that the second RNG will apply.

Some people are yelling about the second RNG - to eliminate duplicate solves. Which will make it omg 100% guaranteed that you'll get your rare item. And then there's the alchemy recipe with the 3rd RNG. It's supposed to not be easy At All.

Archaeology isn't a free stuff giveaway program.

If it's not guaranteed epix, then it's this - this severe RNG luck based profession. Just like trying to fish up a rare fish for achievement. You'll get a lot of junk before you may or may not get one. Think I had over 12k fish/other caught before I got my turtle mount. Since they started counting fish (not the 10's of thousands before that). May take more than 12,000 solve for whatever item I could use right now. Could be 5 more solves. Maybe never.

Good Luck. Like they said, it's still evolving.

Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
What do you think a Blue post will do in a thread that's already rife with senseless emotion and foam-at-the-mouth mad people? Don't you think they know not to add more fuel to the fire?

I don't know what people expect from Archaeology. If you can eliminate sites you already discovered all (as if they won't add more things in later) so you end up Only with dig sites of the race you're trying to get the rare epic gear, then what. Same with being able to trade useless fragments for ones you want. It'll be like shooting fish in a barrel.ou may still not get it, being that the second RNG will apply.

Some people are yelling about the second RNG - to eliminate duplicate solves. Which will make it omg 100% guaranteed that you'll get your rare item. And then there's the alchemy recipe with the 3rd RNG. It's supposed to not be easy At All.

If it's not guaranteed epix, then it's this - this severe RNG luck based profession. Just like trying to fish up a rare fish for achievement. You'll get a lot of junk before you may or may not get one. Think I had over 12k fish/other caught before I got my turtle mount. Since they started counting fish (not the 10's of thousands before that). May take more than 12,000 solve for whatever item I could use right now. Could be 5 more solves. Maybe never.

If this is a response to what I just posted you missed what I said entirely. The majority of the thread is level-headed idea generation to improve the profession. Trolls show up once in a while and get down-voted into oblivion. There is no name-calling, insulting, or other types of flaming.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/10/2011 4:52 PMPosted by Verican
If this is a response to what I just posted you missed what I said entirely. The majority of the thread is level-headed idea generation to improve the profession. Trolls show up once in a while and get down-voted into oblivion. There is no name-calling, insulting, or other types of flaming.

No hun, it was the guy above you. He wanted to know why Neth would only post in a nice thread rather than one complaining about this broken profession.

My post jammed up when the forums went dizzy and finally posted, after you. There are other threads like some guy who dug for a week, one week, and cussing that he hasn't gotten an epic. (And a new one for an Asian guy with over 2k solves! That's extreme farming.)

I think it's all silly. I'm having a good time digging all over while waiting on DPS queues, I have no problem with the profession. (I should be fishing though!)

Reply Quote
46 Human Warlock

People that started archeology, did it because they where looking for the artifacts whether is the lvl 85 epic or the other stuff that look for fun. That didn't mean that they where expecting easy epic, anyone that did it had in mind that he/she need to work for it. Then where is the problem?

1. Player might get the epics needed in 35 solves while other might spend 500 to 1k solves, even trying for more than 1-2 month and get nothing, which put in question: what they where thinking? Don't you see this design based on RNG can't get more retarded ( I don't want to insult but cant get any world to describe it). The only challenge in this design is to see how long it take you to blow your mind before find anything (which lead to the second point).

2. Archeology RNG design can't get more mindless. You think I am exaggerate about this but this profession is literally a mind killing, it force you into a repetitive action that will drive you insane. You don't know how painful is to repeat something mindlessly for so long.

3. RNG design again: this design can make player waste a lot of time without knowing where to end whether they should keep or stop which is frustrating. The design should change should not be about RNG, instead need to find new mechanism for this profession, because its not fear to give some player the artifacts over the other without any reason.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight

As i think that was aimed at me....

Had there been a response in... oohhh say the first month... there wouldn't be foaming at the mouth mad people. Everyone here has been left to guess and wonder as to some very important questions. We looked for a simple answer and we got none, which gave life to some angry people.

Also, there are many posts that are well thought out and have hardly any rage. no response. Several posts where a "yes" or "no" would have calmed some nerves and made some people content. Nothing. My post was nothing against the profession or time invested. There are plenty of those threads which DO NOT deserve a response. Nor would i expect one.

There's a 38+ page thread right now with Mostly good and only a couple upset people. All either ideas for improving, general chat or posting numbers. One Blue could have posted a LONG time ago and said "Guys, it's random. Keep it up you'll get there.". Sure, you'll have a couple people who wanna complain cause they didn't get it on their first project (tough crap, keep digging!) but for the most part, people like myself who simply want a yes or no if there is a bug.

I've spoke to two GM's in game. One told me it's purely random for a chance to get the sword and ignored my actually petition question, the second told me it's random but you can't even get it till you hit 525 skill. Both answers which are either incorrect or misleading. So i come to the forums looking for an answer. No answers. Just a big group of pissed off people.

So you'll have to excuse me that a brown nosing thread gets attention when people with well thought out ideas are left without so much as a "yes/no".
Reply Quote
6 Undead Priest
Yea thanks..

Thanks for making Troll sites even more rare by adding another race to eastern kingdoms.

Thanks for the lower cd on survey. Oh wait that didn't help me in anyway. Using Archy addon I can pin point fragments from a yellow survey over 90% of the time and never found myself waiting for a cd.

Thanks for throwing gold at me and thinking it would make everything ok now. I would pay to complete each artifact if it meant there would be an end to this horrible mindless grind against a bunch of RNGs.

More gold for artifacts also now gives you a reason to not disable dig sites from a race that has already been completed.

While you are keeping an eye on things. Keep an eye on the fact that I have completed 207 Troll artifacts with nothing to show for it and and no end in sight to this nightmare of a grind.

I have gained absolutely nothing from this profession except a false sense of hope and at the same time have lost my sanity.

Archeology is like putting fat kid on a treadmill and dangling a twinkie in front of him while telling him to keep running that he will eventually get it. This profession is just cruelty at the highest level.

Thanks for nothing.

It's a time sink. Deal with it and stop crying. Nobody is putting a gun on your head to do it.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin

I got so excited with this thread to see blizzard reading the Professions forum.... Then i noticed that the OP was edited by Nethaera, probably moving it from somewhere else. QQ
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
02/10/2011 4:49 PMPosted by Vixie

If emotions are running high, and there's rabid posting happening (especially consistently for over 2 months now), perhaps that's an indication that something is wrong?

Considering that the new forums are meant to improve personal responsibility and be better moderated so they don't become as much of a "hive of villainy and scum" as the prior incarnation of the forums, the blue posters shouldn't be afraid of posting.

I think you're confused here.

The layers of RNG are as follows:
1. What sites are up
2. What project you have

With the extra bonus RNG for Alchemists:
3. Will the jar have the recipe in it?

The goal of the profession is the rare items (not necessarily just the epics). While there's some randomness for the commons, you're guaranteed to get all the common items at least one time.

Archeology is fine up until you've completed a race, because until that point, any/all dig sites you clear are contributing to the goal of the profession.

The request to be able to eliminate sites are for sites of completed races. Completed means you've solved all the commons and all the rares.

This isn't about eliminating duplicates, since you can't ever get a duplicate of a rare project, it's about eliminating forced work on useless projects, and the projects for a completed race are all worthless (regardless of how much gold they sell for) because they can't help you toward your goal... which is the rares of every race but that one. Further, having to clear worthless sites effectively reduces your chance for rares because of the time you waste clearing them.

No one is asking for "free stuff".

I'll repeat again, to have the option to remove a race's dig sites, you have to have completed all their common and rare projects. This means that you've either gotten lucky, or (more likely) put in a large amount of time with the profession. You're basically earning the right to focus on your goals.

Even if there's some programming on the back end that were to adjust the chance for rares down for each race/site you eliminate, just the fact that any/all digs you're doing is getting you closer to the goal will remove much of the sense of time wasted.

If it's not guaranteed epix, then it's this - this severe RNG luck based profession. Just like trying to fish up a rare fish for achievement.

The fishing analogy will always fail here, because when you're fishing, you can go directly to the area where that rare is available and you only ever have a single layer of RNG.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
02/10/2011 5:59 PMPosted by Helmuth
It's a time sink. Deal with it and stop crying. Nobody is putting a gun on your head to do it.

What a stupid comment. But you probably already knew that and is why you chose to post on your level 6 alt.

Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior

No one held a gun to your head telling you to post such a meaningless comment. However, you did.

Here some questions for all the people who give this lame ass response.

How many people would really enjoy wow without wowhead? Let's say (100 mounts) Without wowhead I am left to gather info from the community. No problem.. Someone is bound to put up with my endless questioning of what mount is next... After a list of 77 mounts.. Just an example..

How about add-ons? Sure, the game is playable without add-ons, but sometimes we need to remember not to stand in that pile of ooze causing damage over time. How about, how can we tell who is lowest dps to most effective heals? I'm sure we wont need an add on there.

With these small examples, blizzard has left it to the community to do most of THEIR answering.

I can honestly say, I don't expect them to answer. As I have the forums, trade chat or wowhead to give me some actual input.

TL:DR
Nothing useful to say.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
The big mistake made with archaeology was putting top level epic items into it. You have people farming them who dont/cant raid and are getting frustrated. It should have been just the vanity items and pets so there would be a time when we could say "enough" and quit digging. There isnt an end game item you can get from the other secondary professions, why in this one. The epics are nice but seem to be causing the most grief. The lack of equal items available is also annoying. I dont see a single tanking item for warriors, palis, or druids in the mix, but a caster can get three pieces of gear with an extreme amount of luck. Im not up on the needs for all of the classes but i dont really see a hunter or shammie item available either.

I posted on the other thread and have been following it daily to see if there is any reaction from a blue post. While the 3 sec CD and extra Tol'vir sites are nice they were asked for a long time ago in that thread. Hopefully someone is reading it and uses some other ideas that have been offered.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I love how often Tol'vir digsites pop up now. I started and finished a rare today!
Then got the 100g cat statue!
Then another rare... Dammit 150 items! XD Least I'm getting them out of the way.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Person 1: There are huge holes in this roof. Every time it rains me and all my stuff gets wet, and it takes forever to dry. Please fix the roof.
Person 2: The holes also let bugs in, and they bite me. Please address this issue.
Person 3: During the summer, when the sun is high in the sky, it beats down on me and gives me sunburns.
Dev 1: We have modified this house so that it always has dry towels, so you can dry off yourself and your stuff after it rains. Oh, and also, free sunblock.
Person 4: Wow thanks, you really made tolerating the problems with the roof much easier!
Dev 2: Hey you're welcome, we'll keep watching to see if we need to make any further changes.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
No thank you from me on making things easy.

Some people are happy, I guess. I'd be too, but...
..then I realized how much more effort had those people who did it before me put into it?
Literally hours more compared to who starts now. Why?
Now everyone is getting easily what they worked for hard.

No, I'm not one of them. I didn't even really start archeology too much.
Still, I dislike it cause my friends went trough a lot worse times and I feel bad having it easy now.

I put quite a bit of effort to get 200 TB commendations for the mount. Dont you want to make it cost 20 now, so everyone can have one? :/
Yea, I'm the one of those who likes things harder. Now rip me apart for not wanting the game to play itself for me or everyone having the same, best equipment.
Thanks
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]