The Psylosopher's Gambit: Heroics, Raids, Etc

100 Blood Elf Rogue
The casual WoW player may be tired of the adage that Cataclysm has changed the way that people who engage Azeroth in PVE play their game, but the fact remains that it has - and far too many players have heard this adage but refuse to believe it. Myself included. But we are learning … slowly.

For DPS classes, Wrath of the Lich King was a numbers game. In that - How high can the DPS meters go, for real? Heroics became races against time; and, toward the end, Icecrown Citadel became Recount’s favorite battleground.

Cataclysm, however, is not about this race for the Champions of the DPS Meter. No. Cataclysm is about “How can I best help my party, stay alive, and then put out the DPS numbers I am meant to?” If you can best help your party by running away from the boss and not actually doing damage in order to stay alive and live to Mind Flay 20 seconds from now, you had best do this. The DPS meters will wait for your triumphant return.

From my casual observation, Cataclysm has brought back the importance of Group Cohesion; how best may we work together as a team? What with guild achievements and guild building, WoW has really become a game of working together rather than apart. Allegiances are being formed within guilds, and guilds are coming together to overcome hilarious odds, all for the sake of being together.

This transfers over to Heroics and Raids, where the team must best work together to their greatest strengths and advantages, which means blowing your cooldowns; using your trinkets; and crowd controlling where necessary. Abilities long lost to the land of Vanilla WoW have pushed their way into the limelight again, and players are beginning to realize their usefulness.

It is not that the game has become more difficult; it is that the game has fundamentally changed. And this change is good! However, as change is, it takes some getting used to. We may not be able to overcome every new obstacle on our first try, but with a bit of ingenuity and learning, we will eventually strategize our way out of it, or further into the dungeon.
Reply Quote
45 Goblin Mage
I loved this! It says exactly what I encountered my very first Cata dungeon. It truly has become a group effort at staying alive instead of running through the dungeon trying to be first in DPS!
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Priest
My guild mostly does premade random dungeons, it's quite interesting still though. Even with the required group cohesion you still need certain abilities amongst the group for survival to include some rockin' DPS at times.

I personally enjoy the way Cata's played out, I feel less bored at times now.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
My guild mostly does premade random dungeons, it's quite interesting still though. Even with the required group cohesion you still need certain abilities amongst the group for survival to include some rockin' DPS at times.

Quintessential to group survival is putting out the DPS a player is meant to in accordance with gear, class and ability; however, prior to that, the DPSer should be thinking about how to help the party and how to stay alive. As without group cohesion, the pull or the boss fight may most likely fail, and - as they say - "Dead DPS Doesn't."

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]