Light of Dawn is not a frontal cone

100 Human Paladin
So a healer in my guild and I did several positional tests with light of dawn. She stayed in one position, no turning or directional movement. From here, I slowly moved to several different positions as we mapped out the exact shape of the area that Light of Dawn hits. Here is what we concluded:

Light of Dawn is not a frontal cone. A frontal cone would look like this (pretend there are lines between the + signs connecting to the P (paladin). Note that the diagram isn't meant to show the exact angle of Light of Dawn, it's only for illustration purposes.

+
+
P
+
+

What we actually found was that Light of Dawn covers a rectangular area as follows:

++++++++
P
++++++++

I am curious if anyone else has done any testing like this, and what your results were.

EDIT:
Here's some screenshots of what we found to be the healing zone of this spell. Note that the flares were starting to go away before we got all the way around unfortunately.

http://img156.imageshack.us/i/lod1.jpg
http://img703.imageshack.us/i/lod2.jpg
http://img716.imageshack.us/i/lod3.jpg
http://img821.imageshack.us/i/lod4k.jpg
http://img832.imageshack.us/i/lod5.jpg
Edited by Bravehearth on 2/13/2011 5:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
After our healer did some searching, we found that someone else has done testing on this. Interestingly enough, they found a dead zone on the left side of the "cone". We also observed this, but weren't positive in what we were observing. After seeing someone else doing research on it, I can confirm that the dead zone is there, and that the "cone" is not actually a cone at all.

http://forum.mmosite.com/topics/544/201012/02/1650,1.html
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
OK, the dead zone appears to be possibly terrain issues, so we decided to find a nice perfectly flat spot in uldum to do more tests. We actually found a big flat area with a square tile type floor, which gives a nice grid. What we found is that the shape overal is about what that other website posted, except we didn't have the deadzone here. It's most certainly NOT a frontal cone, however.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
That is very interesting to see, thank you for doing those tests.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I had a suspiscion that was the case. It never seemed to fan like a cone but i just thought i was wrong. Thanks for this info!

Incoming change from Blizz: LoD is now a frontal rectangle, lol.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I had a suspiscion that was the case. It never seemed to fan like a cone but i just thought i was wrong. Thanks for this info!

We are planning to finally start raiding now, so of course she wanted to be as prepared as she could be coming from a raiding background on her previous realm. LoD was the one thing bugging her, so I said "well, lets just go experiment with it so you can better get a feel for how to position yourself." What we found was rather aggravating and not at all what we expected based on the tooltip. It really doesn't even seem to have the full 30 yard range even when you are directly in front of the holy paladin. It seems closer to about 28 yards or so.

It should be noted that it seems any sloping of the ground can seem to cause issues with the healing area coverage. The dead zone that someone else noticed in their experiments seems to most likely be cause by a slight sloping of the ground. We too had a dead zone on left side when we did tests on an area with a very slight incline (was just outside stormwind). The tests on the flat ground in Uldum, however, didn't have that dead zone.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin

As long as they also add in something that'll show us the area we'll be landing our heals in. Would make me so very happy. :D

02/13/2011 9:00 AMPosted by Bravehearth
It really doesn't even seem to have the full 30 yard range even when you are directly in front of the holy paladin. It seems closer to about 28 yards or so.

We tested this by using Blessing of Kings (30 yd range too). I was able to give Brave the buff, but LoD wasn't hitting him.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
honestly light of dawn is only used in situations where everyone stacks up, ie chimeron. Other than that the spell is horrible and needs to be redesigned
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
02/13/2011 4:08 PMPosted by Nafre
honestly light of dawn is only used in situations where everyone stacks up, ie chimeron. Other than that the spell is horrible and needs to be redesigned

Good Joke.

I lol'd
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin

Good Joke.

I lol'd

Me to.

Gais, LoD means I have to POSITION MYSELF? WELL?

Broken, Please fix. kthx
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I don't think anyone is really complaining about it requiring proper positioning. At least I am not. But if the tooltip is going to say it's a frontal cone, it should be a frontal cone, not a 10 by 28 yard rectangle. Would be nice if it also had the 30 yard range listed in the tooltip as well.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
02/13/2011 5:36 PMPosted by Bravehearth
I don't think anyone is really complaining about it requiring proper positioning. At least I am not. But if the tooltip is going to say it's a frontal cone, it should be a frontal cone, not a 10 by 28 yard rectangle. Would be nice if it also had the 30 yard range listed in the tooltip as well.

I was referring to one of the LOD is bad trolls not you, also, you think you would like a cone, but it would cause much more trouble then a rectangle, trust me. Rectangle is much easier positioning wise.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
02/13/2011 5:42 PMPosted by Naronas

I was referring to one of the LOD is bad trolls not you, also, you think you would like a cone, but it would cause much more trouble then a rectangle, trust me. Rectangle is much easier positioning wise.

It wouldn't be more difficult as long as it's wider than 10 yards at the farthest point. Currently the rectangle is only approximately 10 yards wide. Not to mention, as I said, it does not have a 30 yard range, even though the tooltip says it does.

A cone would be at least as easy to position as a rectangle, but would actually function so that the farther someone is away from you, the less precise you have to be on your facing. Obviously the spell couldn't start at 0 yards wide, because that would make it extremely difficult to heal anyone if you are stacked. The issue is that it never gets any wider, and has issues with dead zones even with very slight terrain features.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Thanks again for bringing this to light.

No pun intended...
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I was paying attention to who was healed by my LoD during HM Chim tonight... I can confirm that the left side is cut off.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
so many bugs in LoD and no one stacks up.. (at least in the half assed raids ive been in) i use LoD next to never because even when postioning myself people are still too spread out (unless somone aggros the boss and takes a cleave to the face taking the other melee DPS with him) this just makes me want to use it LESS... the only times ive used LoD were in heroics when everyone was stacked up and in magmaw the other day (but then it backfired and LoD didnt transfer through the beacon so now i want to use it even less (yes i know its been fixed but i dont trust blizzard with this spell.. or my class.. ninja nerfing holy power anyone?))
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Cause angles hurt?

This spell should just be an AOE. It's not unbalancing for a 31 point talent to be something we use often.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I noticed this. I wonder if Cone of Cold is also a frontal rectangle o.O
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
A frontal rectangle?! This sounds like something that should be nerfed. Pally frontal rectangle's are too OP.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Good Joke.

I lol'd

I think what he might be referring to is that LoD is a very weak AoE heal spell, it's best value is if you can be sure to hit 5 people to heal so that the heal gets transferred to your beacon. If you're cone misses, you get very little effective healing and your HP get's wasted. Situations where it is very easy to hit are stacking situations.

However, your point is well taken, the healer might need to move (gasp) to hit those 5 people!
Edited by Turand on 2/14/2011 8:57 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]