Start tanking, hybrids.

90 Night Elf Druid
You know what's totally awesome? ..Running pugs. You know what's even more awesome? ...Fast queue times to get in to those pugs.

You know what's not awesome? ...Waiting 10 minutes for a tank, and realizing you ended up in a group with 2 ret pallies, a fury warrior, an enhance shaman, and a boomkin.

I'll cut to the chase. If you play a warrior, paladin, shaman, or druid, then you need to stop wasting your time with your tacked-on dps specs and start performing the roles that your class was intended for. Not only will this make queue times faster, but it will ensure that the dps slots get filled by real, pure dps classes that are guaranteed to do at least 2-3k more then a gimped hybrid.

Think not about what suits yourself, and think about what's best for everyone.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Boomkins and Ret pallys, along with Shadow priests are topping the meters after 4.0.6. Pure dps classes can take a backseat. Maybe read a book before you write your heartfelt teen angst posts.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Druid
How dare people play the game the way they want to. How -dare- they.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/10/2011 5:32 PMPosted by Regnal
Boomkins and Ret pallys, along with Shadow priests are topping the meters after 4.0.6. Pure dps classes can take a backseat. Maybe read a book before you write your heartfelt teen angst posts.

Do you have any evidence to back up that claim? I've never grouped with a paladin or a priest that did more than 6k dps, even in a raid setting.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Actually I've seen a ret that passes 10k on full heroic dungeon gear (lol) before the 4.0.6.

And recently I've seen one that did roughly 14k on a tunnel boss.

Yeah sure that's somewhat average considering it's a pug, but it's not dirt terrible as they used to be.

This post is almost as similar as the guy who said heroics are incredibly hard and we should protest against Blizzard by cancelling accounts.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
No thank you.

I will continue to play Fury because I enjoy it. I also do pretty okay on the DPS meters in both raids and randoms.

Your assumption that there is one role that hybrid classes were intended to play is folly. That you use the terms "pure" and "hybrid" demonstrates that you do know there are classes that are locked into one role and classes that are able to play each role.

The only classes that have intended roles are pure DPS classes. Everyone else is given the option to choose which role they would like to play.

I am curious, why do you choose to heal? If the answer is because you enjoy healing, then you may have some luck seeing my perspective on my decision to play a DPS spec of a hybrid class. If the answer is because you are making a sacrifice for the greater good, then you deserve commendation for spending your time and money to make others happy.

Whatever your answer to my question, getting on your soapbox and demanding that everyone else adhere to your view of how to play this game seems like kind of a d-bag move.
Edited by Averley on 2/11/2011 6:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

Do you have any evidence to back up that claim? I've never grouped with a paladin or a priest that did more than 6k dps, even in a raid setting.

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/rank/clazz/dps/all/11/0/3
Edited by Regnal on 2/11/2011 7:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Retribution's DPS has certainly spiked with 4.0.6, but topping the meter is still a virtue of short fights where the numbers represent burst. The sustained numbers, obviously, will dip a little lower, depending on how the players chooses to stagger cooldowns. That said, target-switching isn't as punishing as it used to be, and our survivability has improved on fights that have been preferring ranged. We're in a good spot now, as opposed to 4.0.3 where we had the potential to be in a good spot when conditions were favorable.

That said, if the Paladins you run in to never break 6k, you should question their competence and actually deter them from healing. Think about what's best for everyone, man.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Player of hybrid class who does not tank demanding that others who play hybrid classes tank?

I don't even know why anyone even bothered responding.

His primary talent spec is a Feral tank build. His secondary is a Restoration one.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/hydraxis/viral/talent/primary
Reply Quote
Well, obviously the OP's approach is totally dumb. Not only because insulting hybrid DPS is not only unfounded to say the least (since I've seen plenty of hybrids do outstanding DPS, and plenty of pure DPSers do terrible DPS), but also because it's hardly the best way to influence hybrids to start tanking more.

However, as misguided as the OP's approach is, he does have a point. I would go about it this way: Hybrids should tank because people who tank, have a lot more control on their time management.

On the one hand, the most obvious way that tanking helps your time management is that queue times are as close to instantaneous as they can get for tanks. I tank a ton of heroics and the most I've ever waited for a queue was all of 12 seconds.

On the other hand, the less obvious way that tanking helps your time management is that you get to take control of the instance. You decide which bosses to kill and how to kill them. At my level, I only run heroics for VP and to a lesser extent for JP to get heirloom gear. I could care less about anything else, really. If I end up getting HoO, I can choose to spend 30 minutes killing 3 bosses instead of spending an hour killing 7.

In conclusion, you should tank not because of some silly ideals about the betterment of the PVE community, but because tanking will allow you to manage your time better - allowing you to spend more time doing the things you like to when you play WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/10/2011 5:47 PMPosted by Mooid

In a MMO, the way you play will inevitably end up having an effect on other players. By refusing to tank or heal, even occasionally, people are deliberately lessening others' enjoyment, and...quite frankly...being selfish.

Go play a console game.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Well, obviously the OP's approach is totally dumb. Not only because insulting hybrid DPS is not only unfounded to say the least (since I've seen plenty of hybrids do outstanding DPS, and plenty of pure DPSers do terrible DPS), but also because it's hardly the best way to influence hybrids to start tanking more.

However, as misguided as the OP's approach is, he does have a point. I would go about it this way: Hybrids should tank because people who tank, have a lot more control on their time management.

On the one hand, the most obvious way that tanking helps your time management is that queue times are as close to instantaneous as they can get for tanks. I tank a ton of heroics and the most I've ever waited for a queue was all of 12 seconds.

On the other hand, the less obvious way that tanking helps your time management is that you get to take control of the instance. You decide which bosses to kill and how to kill them. At my level, I only run heroics for VP and to a lesser extent for JP to get heirloom gear. I could care less about anything else, really. If I end up getting HoO, I can choose to spend 30 minutes killing 3 bosses instead of spending an hour killing 7.

In conclusion, you should tank not because of some silly ideals about the betterment of the PVE community, but because tanking will allow you to manage your time better - allowing you to spend more time doing the things you like to when you play WoW.

I don't disagree with this, but it may only apply to those DPS who complain about long queue times. Many people use their queue time productively for farming ore, flask/buff food mats and whatnot, myself being one of them. I have no qualm with waiting for the queue to pop, although I try to run with guildies whenever possible.

Viral, don't worry. It will get better. Once you start raiding regularly you won't have to run any heroics at all to meet the weekly VP cap. Of course some of your guild runs may have hybrid DPS not tanking or healing, but you can take that up with them on an individual basis.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock

In a MMO, the way you play will inevitably end up having an effect on other players. By refusing to tank or heal, even occasionally, people are deliberately lessening others' enjoyment, and...quite frankly...being selfish.

Go play a console game.

So why isn't everyone that doesn't play a druid selfish as well? Druids are the only class that can fill the role of dps, tank or healer. So everyone should play druids so no ones enjoyment is effected.

What if you don't enjoy healing or tanking, but enjoy playing as a cat or a boomkin. Why is your enjoyment greater then someone elses enjoyment? Its is an mmo as you point out, so find someone else since they are out there.

Besides your situation only arises from 1) A bug in LFD or 2) People gaming the system by clicking the "I will tank" check box but having no intention of doing that roll and just wanting the quick queue time. You are right however that in that case the hybrid is being selfish, but not for the reasons you've stated.
Edited by Rhorle on 2/11/2011 2:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Join a guild...get 4 guildies to fill in the roles...steam roll teh place in 20-30 mins and chatter over vent.

Seems pretty easy to me, why subject yourself to pugs when a good guild can help you out. If the guild your in cannot/will not do that...get out now and find a decent one.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Guild runs are fairly slow if your guild is retarded.
Reply Quote
38 Troll Shaman
02/11/2011 1:25 PMPosted by Viral

Go play a console game.

Er... people owe you something because they choose to play the game?

Fail.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Druid
02/11/2011 1:25 PMPosted by Viral

Go play a console game.

No, they are not 'deliberately lessening others' enjoyment'. Yes, you want them to tank or heal, but guess what? They obviously don't, or they would be doing those things. You are being selfish in wanting them to perhaps do something they do not enjoy. If Blizzard did not want them to DPS, they would not have a DPS spec.

Besides, tanking and healing are thankless jobs. Rarely will you find a group who will praise either role over belittling them for a mistake. If you want more people to tank and heal, start encouraging people. I've seen people who are just starting out tanking, they make a mistake, and another member of the group just starts blasting them. Why would anyone want to put up with that when they can just sit back and DPS?
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
02/10/2011 10:00 PMPosted by Viral

In a raid setting? You haven't even downed a boss in the new raids. GG
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]