Prot PvP Flag Carrier Guide

85 Human Warrior
Gemming like a arms will let you still FC, you'll just dps more and have less survivability.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Any of you guys getting past 22%mastery?
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
only 20% atm =[
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I'm starting to rethink us blindly reforging everything into mastery. I know that it doesn't have a DR, but when is enough mastery? Should we reforge into parry/dodge, get those soft caps then go into mastery? What are dodge/parry softcaps? I feel that everyone jumped into the mastery bandwagon because it was easyand good, but now I don't think it's optimal.

This is why I came to this thinking.
Last night I won the crit belt from BH so I looked at how it would mess up my mastery ( since it's not the mastery belt) and I only lost .40% block and mastery was still at 22%. I mean mastery belt>crit belt always for fcing, but seeing how little even a whole item worth of mastery did just made me start thinking.

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts please share them I'm really like your guys perspective on things they have made me a better fc.
Thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I'm starting to rethink us blindly reforging everything into mastery. I know that it doesn't have a DR, but when is enough mastery? Should we reforge into parry/dodge, get those soft caps then go into mastery? What are dodge/parry softcaps? I feel that everyone jumped into the mastery bandwagon because it was easyand good, but now I don't think it's optimal.

Last night I won the crit belt from BH so I looked at how it would mess up my mastery ( since it's not the mastery belt) and I only lost .40% block and mastery was still at 22%. I mean mastery belt>crit belt always for fcing, but seeing how little even a whole item worth of mastery did just made me start thinking.

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts please share them I'm really like your guys perspective on things they have made me a better fc.
Thanks!

might be worth it I suppose, but would have to be dodge I would guess, since str along makes us already start to DR some I believe.

quick question to, if I don't have s9 BM, does anyone know if you can use ruthless/vic s10 BM trinkets, or should I go scales/BM or something, I am already about 4.3k resil could gem some more without losing much.
Edited by Nicat on 7/29/2011 6:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
You can use two s10 BM trinkets, honor and conquest one, someone in prior pages tested it and it worked.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior

Thanks!

well I know that in PvE tanking you normally would let your dodge or parry get above 15%, and after that comes mastery as it provides the most over all damage reduction. Sure dodging/parrying an attack avoids the full hit, but its very spiky damage that way as dodge/parry share DRs. the damage you take from a block will be much more consistent and easier to heal overall. so i would think that master is what we should reforge to untill we hit the block cap (which is 102.4% block in PvE, dont know about PvP)
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
It is an interesting concept, there are both pros and cons to each way of reforging. Mastery doesn't have DR, and expertise doesn't affect it, and if you're spec'd for it, it'll indirectly increase rage generation (due to increased chance to block and gain 15 rage). However, it doesn't avoid all the damage, just 30%/60% of an attack, and if you're dismantled, you can't block or parry.

Dodge, on the other hand, will stop all damage, and it will protect you when you're dismantled, but expertise will lower it's usefulness, and it has diminishing returns.

I personally favor mastery, but if someone wants to go test out dodge (since we get a nice amount of parry from strength, hovering at just over 10% right now), I don't see a reason why not.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Hm yea you're prob right. PvP gear won't give us enough dodge to really make the DR not hurt us as much, like our pve counterparts, so best to go into mastery.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
07/20/2011 04:06 PMPosted by Shoukon
Great guide. Unfortunately, I am split between RBGs and Arena atm. Not being able to have two sets of gear forces me to choose FC or Arms. I can't afford to reforge/regem/rechant all of my gear every time I want to change spec. Solution? Roll another warrior! I am currently rolling a second warrior via RaF in order to have a DPS and tank! This way I can have tank racials, pve tank spec/gear AND a dedicated PvP FC. Warriors are by far the best FCs IMO. With the best mobility, CDs, and self heals that DON'T require hitting an enemy I.e. Blood DKs, I can't see why people hate on port warriors. Our playstyle involves a feral grabbing flag and running it to tunnel in WSG or going seal form and swimming it into my waiting arms in TP and then me holding and capping. Seems to work well for the most part in lower MMR. My gear only allows me to be an offensive FC and an exceptional flag humper. I would love to have a dedicated FC spec/gearset. There's no feeling quite like the FC feeling: Knowing the whole team is set to kill you. They're saying your name before you can even see them pooling in preparation of a zerg... Thx for the great info!

ATM for 2 sets of gear i have my dps set as the season 10 honor gear and my FC gear as the conquest gear i'm getting + another set of season 10 honor gear. Best thing to do until later in the season where we can get 2 conquest sets like I had last season.

Yup, I was looking at the jewelry when I read "Unique". Farming my second honor set atm...Thanks guys.
Reply Quote
I have a question, and I beg pardon if it's already been asked and answered.

I'm kind of new to warrior. Only made this character a little over a month ago I believe and I'm loving it for arena, but the main reason I came back to cata was for RBGs, and I'm really wanting to run as FC. So I finally got around to speccing into prot as second spec, picked up my battlemaster tenacity trinket, setup all my macros, and I've been doing a lot of BGs to get the general idea of it.

Now, with all of that being said, let me get to my question. I'm spending all my conquest points on my gear that I plan on gemming and chanting for Arms. I already have my full vicious set and a couple pieces of my blood Ruthless(t1). I don't really want to spend my hard-earned conquest points on gear that I would gem and chant for my FC set. So, a few weeks from now, would it be better to run with a vicious set that is gemmed and chanted for prot or use my t1 Ruthless set for arms, but as prot?

Are the extra stats from gems and chants better using my arms ruthless gear?
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I believe it would be better to run your arms ruthless except for helm and legs. It kind of depends on how you gem though but those two for sure because of meta and leg enchant.
But think of it this way.
Strength= parry.
Stam=HP
Crit for prot=nothing that mitigates

So any gear that gives you more str and stam, over what your vicious tank gear gemmed would give you, go ahead and wear it even if you'd drop resil if you were gemming that ruthless prot. Just don't go too under 4k resil then you'll start getting hurt hard.

Hope this answers your question if not you can ask in a different way or pst me in game.
Edited by Shoukon on 7/31/2011 9:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for the reply!

Funny that you mentioned legs, I actually got a new set of vicious legs and gemmed and chanted them for prot very first for the prot set, since you get the most stam with the chant.

Thanks again for the info.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
What do you guys do for wsg now? 3 healers, 4 healers? Stay on the first floor, stay on the third floor? Run around all over the place? What do you see working as a prot warrior on D in WSG?
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
07/31/2011 07:04 PMPosted by Shoukon
What do you guys do for wsg now? 3 healers, 4 healers? Stay on the first floor, stay on the third floor? Run around all over the place? What do you see working as a prot warrior on D in WSG?

normally when we get a CtF map we 3 heal with a pally on D at first with me and then our shaman falls back to me after we wipe there O. our druid stays with our O unless stacks get higher then 4 then he comes back with me, we also keep a MM hunter on D with me aswell for flares and the damage. I normally sit on 2nd floor with my back to the edge to make sure rogues cant open on me, and i watch for the DKs with there grip. the only way this strat has worked for us is when we have a rogue on O, as the smoke bomb is amazing with the extra dps.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Enchant Boots - Lavawalker or Enchant Boots - Earthen Vitality?
Edited by Charäx on 7/31/2011 9:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Enchant Boots - Lavawalker or Enchant Boots - Earthen Vitality?

Neither is a wrong choice. Atm though I feel that 30 stam> 35 mastery. I think it comes out to 300hp vs.22block. I'll check numbers to tell you what it exactly comes out to to give you a definite answer.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Just testing something here.

fack how do you link items that you can scroll over them and see?

ha got it

I'll be Redoing the OP's to make it cleaner and easier to see.

[url=http://www.wowhead.com/spell=84579]field dressing[/url]
Hm anyone know how to link skills/spells? I can't get it to work.
[url=http://www.wowhead.com/spell=80976]Blitz[/url]

Ok I've put a lot of updates on enchants and data on the OP's. Hope it helps.
Edited by Shoukon on 8/1/2011 3:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Also, my guild is looking for a second FC for our second rated BG Group and when I can't make it to game. Need to have high experience in games for the rest of your team will be HOtA's or well seasoned Rated BGers. If anyone is interested pst me in game or in here. Thanks!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]