Prot PvP Flag Carrier Guide

90 Human Warrior
Bump for a fellow flag carrier. :3
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Bumpin for updates
Reply Quote
A couple observations/comments:

1. Since the Spell Reflect nerf, the Shield Specialization talent is less useful since it now lacks the cooldown reduction. I'm not sure it's worth maxing this out.

2. Isn't a point in Improved Revenge useful for the additional target on the odd chance Thunder Clap doesn't connect? I found it useful fighting one person while interrupting his partner trying to cap the flag. In addition we're using the Revenge Glyph anyways.

3. I like Vigilance for the vengeance buff but not sure how it fits in your no-damage philosophy. Is this a higher yield talent for dps than Heavy Repercussion?

4. In your Q&A section you say you take Thunderstruck to make sure nearby stealthers have Rend. But I think you're really referring to Blood and Thunder. All Thunderstruck does is increase Rend/Cleave by 6% and improve Shield Slam damage (except you don't take Heavy Repercussions anyways). I still don't see a convincing case for Thunderstruck since Blood and Thunder will spread Rend anyways.
Edited by Taunque on 7/9/2011 4:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Was wondering what you all think have over 4200k res and have bumped it down to around 4100 using some stamina gems now. Any thoughts much appreicated and nice to see a Prot FC post have been doing it forever and love it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
A couple observations/comments:

1. Since the Spell Reflect nerf, the Shield Specialization talent is less useful since it now lacks the cooldown reduction. I'm not sure it's worth maxing this out.

It's worth maxing out since all prots are stacking Mastery (block and crit block) so you're at about a 47% block so it's always giving you ranged since there's always atleast a combo of warr/dk/rogue on you.

2. Isn't a point in Improved Revenge useful for the additional target on the odd chance Thunder Clap doesn't connect? I found it useful fighting one person while interrupting his partner trying to cap the flag. In addition we're using the Revenge Glyph anyways.

I just use cleave really and spam it, you have more control over cleave and which you want to hit with positioning, Revenge doesn't follow the same rules as cleave for some reason.

3. I like Vigilance for the vengeance buff but not sure how it fits in your no-damage philosophy. Is this a higher yield talent for dps than Heavy Repercussion?

I've been evolving away from a non damage tank. Sure I'm stacking resil/mastery, but now using resplendent (str/resil) because you need to be able to do minimum damage. The vig is really there to put on your pally because they're going to try to take him out and you mite as well beat on the people who are beating on him.

4. In your Q&A section you say you take Thunderstruck to make sure nearby stealthers have Rend. But I think you're really referring to Blood and Thunder. All Thunderstruck does is increase Rend/Cleave by 6% and improve Shield Slam damage (except you don't take Heavy Repercussions anyways). I still don't see a convincing case for Thunderstruck since Blood and Thunder will spread Rend anyways.
Ah yes thunderstruck is there for a hard shockwave. You can Thunderclap 3x by the time a shockwave comes into cd. So say you're running the flag mid field, you keep hitting thunderclap on cd, unless you know a stealther is runnin around for you then you're tryin to get them into combat, and when you do have people on you you can do shockwaves do that 20-27k crits on whomever it hits which is a great help to your D trying to kill them and also can make their O play defensive. So you get a good crit with this stacked 3x on say a warrior and rogue attacking you, you mite make the rogue recupe instead of a different finisher or vanish to heal n reopen and make a warrior blow his enraged regen. Shockwave is our most powerful move, so no reason to not max it out to your and your teams advantage.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
07/10/2011 06:46 PMPosted by Keirnan
Was wondering what you all think have over 4200k res and have bumped it down to around 4100 using some stamina gems now. Any thoughts much appreicated and nice to see a Prot FC post have been doing it forever and love it.

With the new tier gear coming out, I think we're going to be gemming more out of resil and more into stam. The DR to resil has not been updated so when we hit the 4k-4.1k mark on resil, each point of resil is worth almost nothing. Until the DR is changed, it's time to stack Stam since it's be the most useful. Great decision to replace resil with stam.
Edited by Shoukon on 7/11/2011 10:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Actually on the new tier changes and the Dr on resil, On the original post I am now recommending the +75 stam + 25 dodge over +50 str + 25 resil shoulder enchant.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
The +30 stam +15 resil shoulder enchant is a cheap alternative too, only costs 165 honor.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
Also shoukon, wanted to get your thoughts on the Drakehide Leg Armor (+145 stamina +55 dodge).
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Also i think the 90 stamina 35 dodge head enchant is the way to go too just my thoughts.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
07/11/2011 02:57 PMPosted by Keirnan
Also i think the 90 stamina 35 dodge head enchant is the way to go too just my thoughts.

I agree. If anyone wants to know in detail why this is changing I'll explain it in further detail. I don't want to be telling people to change something without them knowing why.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I need to pick a few of your guys brains. Do you think we should still get +40 resil to chest or 55+ stam to chest? In your answer please tell your reasoning behind your choice.

ATM I feel like sticking with +40 resil because, concerning gems, we can either gem 40 resil or 60 stam, the enchant is 40 resil or 55 stam, which seems like a loss of 5 of a stat. At the same time our resil will be jumping a lot with the new tier gear and there is still the old diminishing return on resil which would make me think that once we have about 2-4 pieces of the new gear we could go stam on chest since even without it we'd still be in the 4100-4200 resil range. Or do we want to be pushing 4200-4500 resil this season?

Just need your guys thoughts on this. Thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
eh, if you want the stamina on the chest go for the +75 stam enchant. (Enchant Chest - Greater Stamina) Probably gonna be expensive though. 8)

Right now, I'm going all out resil and love it, will probably keep stacking up the resil too. My gear is maxed at the moment till I get more ruthless. I think right now I have 41.34% dmg reduction at 4200 resil, and I remember at like 4020ish I had 40% dmg reduction dead on. Everything before that was seemed even as far as scaling goes, 0.01% dmg reduction for every 1 pt in resil. (beyond the 3200 cap or whatever it is)

Will keep stacking the resil just to see how much bad/good the DR is on it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Ah yea +75 stam duh. The question is still +75 stam or +40 resil, or when to have either one?

So I went and did some real fast math, and need some people to do the math also to confirm or reject.

%(resil)=Effectiveness

(Shoukon) 4081 resil = 40.45% which makes each point of resil .991 effective

(Keirman) 4104 resil = 40.62% which makes each point of resil .989 effective

(Warmachinez) 4200 resil = 41.34% which makes each point of resil .984 effective

So this is the pattern of the DR. When is too much DimR? 97%? 95%? What's your thoughts and feelings. Also, keep in mind stamina never DR's and also str is giving us more parry than it use to.
Edited by Shoukon on 7/12/2011 3:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Thanks for posting this guide and videos. It's nice to see the warrior class being awesome at something again, and I've been having alot of fun with the challenge of FC'ing. Oddly enough, the hardest thing I'm having trouble with is knowing where to be at the moment both offenses engage. It seems you want to be closer to the cap point the more stacks you have, but other than that I haven't noticed anything difinitive about scoring during the frenzy.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
07/13/2011 04:56 AMPosted by Rocksolid
Thanks for posting this guide and videos. It's nice to see the warrior class being awesome at something again, and I've been having alot of fun with the challenge of FC'ing. Oddly enough, the hardest thing I'm having trouble with is knowing where to be at the moment both offenses engage. It seems you want to be closer to the cap point the more stacks you have, but other than that I haven't noticed anything difinitive about scoring during the frenzy.

This is really on your healers. You, as a warrior fc, have to move around, especially with a lot of debuffs and people on you. Have your priest gripping you to the second floor, 2:50 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1bvon9bm8I video, so the dps has to choose to kill pally an let you be free or walk all the way around to get you, and charge the hunter/mage that's attacking you. Attack them because they always run from you so you always have a target to charge/intercept and you don't want a free casting frost/arc mage hitting you. For capping keep your holy pally playing zone on the cap so when you do need to cap and you're running all over the place you can intervene to him. H Pallies are best for this since they can bubble themselves and be where you need them to be, unlike any other class.
At 8:28 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wmh_GfawAc you see they go On O on me and I start off by attacking the mage to shut out his damage. This druid was cyclone happy so druid>mage because if my pally has no trink I'd be screwed and we couldn't position. They see their tank die so they grip me, my pally bubbles, and gets on cap and I intervene to cap and win game. That's the plan you should be playing at all times. Move move move, shut down mage, if there's a cyclone happy druid make sure he can't cyclone, move move move, save trinket for that last moment and boom intervene on your pally.
Edited by Shoukon on 7/13/2011 3:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
why the hell is this not stickied yet?
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Ok so I went human to try the new Firelands trinket. The two trinkets don't share a cd, Scales of Life + Emblem of Tenacity, so going to see if it's worth it or too much to try to watch the SoL Buff. The 10k+ HP is really nice though. I'll tell you how it feels to be missing 359 resil.

Note: at 3812 Resil the Resil Efficienct is 1.00682 so I haven't hit the DR yet. I'm going to think with more new tier pieces the resil will get close to 4k again even with SoL. I'm going to go check the math now.

Ok so I'm looking at the gear I'm missing at the moment. I would get an extra 399 resil with a full set. 3812+399=4211 resil. So in the end you would be in a good place with resil with a 1 minute 17k heal +10khp. So you can get the trinket now and ride out the -3% DR or wait till you have more resil, and the trinket is a lot cheaper, and get it then. At the moment I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Final Note: Can't do this double trinket unless you are human. I would never suggest not having a Medallion of the Horde/Alliance.
Edited by Shoukon on 7/14/2011 2:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior

Aside from TP and WSG (because I'm the FC), should I stay prot for any of the other BG's, or swap to my arms spec to roll some face? I mean, I could see that staying prot would help if I'm left alone to D up a node or a base, but we usually have a lock / hunter (pet class) do that.

With stuns, silences etc. I can be somewhat useful for peeling, but I figured I'd be more of a help as an extra dps.

What do you guys think?

Also, WTF isn't this sticked yet???
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]