Prot PvP Flag Carrier Guide

85 Human Warrior
One thing I've been trying recently is stacking loads up stamina as I progress through gear as long as I stay above 4k resilience. Since the amount gained slows down to a crawl around that point I felt like investing in stamina would bring better results.

Hasn't let me down yet, I find that if I'm going to die; 1.2% or so more damage reduction wouldn't really make much of a difference. However I might be able to live longer due to blood craze and second wind, as well last stand, giving more healing.

Gonna keep running with that idea in mind to see how it works out.

im going to test this tonight, but instead of just keeping myself above 4k resil im gonna try and keep myself as close to 40% damage reduction as possible (which im guessing is about 4020, as im at 4014 and have 39.94% reduction) not to mention, as human you have the double battlemaster trinkets which gives a huge health increase for a longer period of time then other FCs. so the extra stam just makes all your heals heal for that much more, I believe this setup will be very promising, but we will see!
Edited by Stammpy on 7/20/2011 4:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Yea I believe mid season, when most of us have all to the majority of the new conquest gear, we're going to be rulling between 4-4.2kresil and stamming gem for the rest even though we could hit about 4.6k resil if we didn't stack stam.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
i tested setting around 40% reduction tonight and it worked great, i gained about 3k health and take almost no extra damage. so once you hit about 40% id say start leaning more toward stam gems as your gear improves.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
So this one things pre order has been released. Ranged Tank FC PvP Guide is in the future....I can feel it! Or wait! Glow Stick FC PVP Guide is in the near future too! Soooooo excited.

Edit: I tried puttin myself at 40% DR and....I dunno it mite of been all mental but I was having a hard time with it. Doesn't really make sense, I guess it is what it is.
Edited by Shoukon on 7/21/2011 2:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Hey dudes. Fledgling RBG FC here. This is my first Season playing the role of FC in RBGs. I feel like I'm doing it correctly as my Win:Loss ratio is within acceptable perimeters (to me anyway). Other than reforging Crit to Mastery is there anything else some of you would recommend? (I believe I'm going to swap out my Stam/Armor Meta for the Stam/Spelldmg Meta as I believe that would be FAR more beneficial.

As for speccing. Second wind is pro as it would help out my healers quite a bit. Tho, I'm a bit selfish and getting Cruelty instead. I DO kind of enjoy being self sufficient in case my Healers or other CC/DPS get peeled FROM me. I believe I might swap out that talent I have in Last Stand for Piercing Howl so I can AOE slow incoming DPS and because I can't cast hamstring in Defensive stance. What do you gents think?

Edit: My logic for swapping out Last Stand is: We have Rallying Cry now, which is an AOE that effects THE WHOLE RAID vs the Solitary Last Stand. 10% LESS hp, but I feel as tho it has more utility.
Edited by Hetelle on 7/21/2011 3:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
A truly inspirational guide and thread! I never wanted to PVP before, but FC is awesome.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
Thank you for the help shoukon - with your tips i was able to hit marshal the other day.
Fantastic guide.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
One thing that has been a worry for me in Rated bg's are the amount of melee classes with pve 391 weapons. It's making life a bit difficult. I mean FC's haven't had the time to get gear that can scale to take a beating from such weapons. So look out for those and disarm those all the time. Also, get familiar with what they look like so you know which ones to disarm.
I made a thread here about it.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2878489433?page=1#0
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Updated info to reflect new patches.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Shoukon, how does this work in a non-rated situation? I'd like to work on doing prot pvp, but I don't have a regular RBG team, and I generally random queue for regular battlegrounds while I work on my PVP gear.

Would you recommend arms for honor grind for pvp gear, and just forging it all to resilence instead of the standard Arms gemming, or get two sets?

My MS is prot pve, and my OS is pvp.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Well FC would only be good for tp/wsg in randoms and you're gonna have a huge headache with pugs taking flag and not passing to you or you not having heals or all 10 sitting with you instead of going O etc, so if you're just going to do randoms for honor grind go arms. If you go and get a second set then get a fc set.....FC is just not fun doing in randoms unless you have a 5 grp.
Reply Quote
I mostly play prot in pug BGs. There are some frustrating moments when your team refuses to go O and just turtles until you lose the flag. Aside from that, its pretty fun because you're virtually impossible to kill once a healer latches onto you. In rated BGs, I often get blown up in a single smoke bomb and it's not so fun because the whole point of going prot is to survive.

I've grinded every piece of pvp gear as prot fairly quickly. You don't have to go arms if you enjoy prot pvp playstyle. I would advise a more offensive/solo prot spec than the purely defensive flag carrier spec.
Edited by Taunque on 7/25/2011 8:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
Shoukon, your guide has helped me greatly, and I just want to say thanks for writing it, but there's two issues I'm having.

I currently carry flags for my RBG team, not the best of the best, but I like to think we're doing fairly good, hovering around 1600 rating, while still figuring out who to bring for the core group, but one problem is the fact that Blood DKs seem to be able to do anything I can and be better at it, their self healing easily trumps my 3 minute CD, and they can pretty much spam it, as well as abilities like AMS. They also do more damage then me, and can heal their allies with Blood Tap/Bloodworms, something which I can't do.

I also feel like I die too easily, despite having 4k resilience and a 160k+ health pool while buffed with fort/kings. If four or more people come into the flag room, I die quickly, and blowing CDs doesn't prevent my death.
Am I doing something wrong, am I gearing wrong, or am I just second best at not dying, compared to Blood DKs?

I just don't wanna get replaced.
Edited by Neerti on 7/27/2011 10:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Reforge all your gear into mastery^^^^^^^
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
07/27/2011 01:27 PMPosted by Giontä
Reforge all your gear into mastery^^^^^^^

Will do!

edit: Apparently I'm at the threat of getting replaced by a blood DK now.
Edited by Neerti on 7/27/2011 6:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
07/27/2011 01:38 PMPosted by Furyasaurus
human you have the double battlemaster trinkets which gives a huge health increase for a longer period of time then other FCs

Dont double battlemaster share CD with each other?

Only 20 second, so once last stand/other trinket are down u can use the other trinket immediately. I'll make a video of how it works for everyone here soon.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Shoukon, your guide has helped me greatly, and I just want to say thanks for writing it, but there's two issues I'm having.

I currently carry flags for my RBG team, not the best of the best, but I like to think we're doing fairly good, hovering around 1600 rating, while still figuring out who to bring for the core group, but one problem is the fact that Blood DKs seem to be able to do anything I can and be better at it, their self healing easily trumps my 3 minute CD, and they can pretty much spam it, as well as abilities like AMS. They also do more damage then me, and can heal their allies with Blood Tap/Bloodworms, something which I can't do.

I also feel like I die too easily, despite having 4k resilience and a 160k+ health pool while buffed with fort/kings. If four or more people come into the flag room, I die quickly, and blowing CDs doesn't prevent my death.
Am I doing something wrong, am I gearing wrong, or am I just second best at not dying, compared to Blood DKs?

I just don't wanna get replaced.

Well I'll tell you why in high rated bg's blood DK's are lol'd at. Yea they can heal themselves, but if you silence them you shut them out of x and y skills and if you disarm them they're shut out of z skills. So silencing and disarming dk's makes them useless for they can't heal or make any skills so with a good O blood dk's are a joke.

Also as a arms warrior you have the movement a dk doesn't. Intervene/intercept/charge/heroic leap. Save heroic leaps for smoke bombs, if you don't have one or they drop a second one on you, fear inside the smoke bomb to stop dps. In FC games you have to move to live, unlike a dk who isn't silenced and disarmed can sit there and soak up damage. Always charge their mage, who will blink to get away from you, then intercept them all while silencing them to stop their damage+ move. Have holy paladin play zone on the cap and also if you have a shammy have a totem there so incase pally is dead or not there you can intervene totem to cap. DK can't do that and silencing/disarming/rooting you can't stop you from intervening.

I mean tell me specific situations you find yourself in and I could help you more specifically. One thing I can tell you though, I also pally heal rated bg's, and a blood dk is "easier" to heal at lower lvl, 2.2k and under, because enemy O team isn't silencing/disarming or ccing as much. So yea they could do better if the healers aren't that great since the blood dk will carry them somewhat. With great healers the warrior will shine because the healers have to place themselves in proper places to make sure the warrior is moving and the warrior tank/healers have to talk to each other when they want a life grip/supression etc so you don't blow shield wall then you get gripped to the roof and waste a cd and etc.

So really one thing that I did with my healers and still do is go into random bg's and spam wsg/tp and work on tactics and communication. If you have different healers all the time, especially new pally healers all the time, you and your team won't get anywhere fast, if you have set healers, and a set pally healer, work with them on tactics and communication. You and your pally healer need to be like a great married couple. Always talking and always knowing who is doing what when, at first you're gonna have to tell each other why, but after there is a flow you'll just know why.

Hope this helps and please just tell me specific type of situations that you get into that you're having trouble with.

Edit: Here's my brutal opinion on this. I feel really lazy when healing a blood dk in rated bg's in lower lvl rated bg's. And I pull my hair out trying to heal a blood dk when they're ccing me, the other heals and making sure he doesn't use any of his cd's in higher rated bg's. That's a friggen nightmare. I feel it's better for a team to really work and learn to use a warrior and the warrior learn to use all his abilities and all the situations he/she can for it'll do the team much better. Blood DK's aren't bad tanks at all, they just have innate weaknesses that can be exploited well.
Edited by Shoukon on 7/27/2011 7:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Here's the video showing how double tenacity works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yznMIXQOkQ
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
How far will gemming/reforging like an arms warrior get me?

I used to do that so I could switch between arms and prot for different BGs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]