"The Player Housing Thread"

(Locked)

85 Blood Elf Paladin
[Disclaimer]: All ideas and suggestions discussed in this thread are being freely given to the public, therefore, all ideas and suggestions may be used in partial or full without consent of the responsible author. In other words, by posting here, your agreeing that these ideas can be taken by Blizzard freely if they should decide to with no obligation to pay royalties or otherwise acknowledge the source of the ideas presented.

Please, be civil and discuss this maturely, we're all players here and the last thing we truly need or want are "trolls" coming in and disrupting the posting in this thread.

Now, getting on to the topics:

Topic 1: Player Housing
Topic 2: Guild Housing
Topic 3: Player Towns
Topic 4: Artisan Crafting Class

Enjoy the discussion!
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Game overload.

/discussion
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Topic 1: Player Housing

My thoughts on this are simple, we need a housing system much like Star Wars Galaxies used to have, a good variety of house designs and sizes, and the ability to place them freely in the world (where allowed) along with the ability to set up player towns and a town hall once the population warrants it. In addition, we'll need a crafting class that can support the housing system, ie the Artisan crafting class. *NOTE: We would want a free decoration type system, not an alloted one, what this means is that we drop and object, use a set of commands to move it, and place things where WE want it. LOTRO really borked their player housing by having cookie cutter spaces to decorate it, it isn't "personal" or fun to decorate a house that looks like everyone else's house.

Topic 2: Guild Housing

I'd love to see the ability to put in a guild keep, something we could add on, build battlements, and really get working to our advantage. I think it would be a lot of fun defending it and having a place for guildmembers to meet and what not.

Topic 3: Player Towns

Player towns would be a super fun way to pass the time, you could hold social events, set up player shops, and really build a community up.

Topic 4: Artisan Crafting Class

Unlike the current crafting professions, this would be an actual class, you would simply invest points into the proper branches (Carpenter, Metal worker, Masonry) which would allow you to create things like furniture (carpenter), Metal Barricades, Siege equipment, etc (Metal) and housing, walls, towers (masonry).

Blizzard says they are looking at ways to keep the players interested and in-game, what better way to do this than to offer the players a way to build something up, maintain it, and to really get involved if not immersed in living in the World.
85 Goblin Hunter
1: Player Housing
Probably not going to happen, the amount of players alone would be too much of a task, they would have to have more servers devoted to the housing than the game itself.

2: Guild Housing
A possibility, i would like guild housing only for a place for the guild to hang out, show off some guild colors, have easy access to the guild bank, guild vendor, etc.

3: Player Towns
Huh? gonna need some more clarification on that.

4: Artisan Crafting Class
What more would you want to craft?
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Game overload.

/discussion

I'm assuming you mean that the world would get too crowded with housing, which is an issue that would definitely need to be addressed. There are numerous ways to control it, but ultimately we would need a few extra zones tacked on here and there to really support housing, but that's really easy to do.
90 Human Paladin
Is this THE player housing thread?
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Probably not going to happen, the amount of players alone would be too much of a task, they would have to have more servers devoted to the housing than the game itself.

A possibility, i would like guild housing only for a place for the guild to hang out, show off some guild colors, have easy access to the guild bank, guild vendor, etc.

Player towns, basically, if a group of say (10) players places their houses within a acceptable distance of one another, they claim the area as a village and are given options to purchase a town hall. The larger the town becomes, the more benefits it gets including flight masters, zeppelins, etc.

Artisan crafteables? Furniture, decorations, house or keep building materials, siege machinery, things like that.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
02/15/2011 8:28 AMPosted by Coldveins
If you have to start your post with a disclaimer, you immediately lose all credibility.

If you know anything about the industry, then you know unless we expressly say "yes you can use our ideas and we won't ask for recognition, royalties or anything else" then Blizzard will simply ignore this thread due to the legal implications it will present.
90 Worgen Druid
I doubt it will happen as this has been beat to death since early days of vanilla. It was once even said, cant remember when. Toward the lauch of vanilla that the instanced area in SW behind that gate was going to be housing.

But then again, blizz also said once they would never allow flying in the old world. So you never know
85 Night Elf Druid
I don't think an SW:G style situation would work, but EQ2 had instanced player and guild housing which worked nicely. Sure, there were only a handful of basic layouts for the houses, but the amount of items they had and the creative ways you could utilize them led to a lot of diversity in the actual look of each house. I want player and guild housing for WoW, like, SO badly. I would be stuck on the WoW crack pipe for a long, long time if they implemented this.

I would also think that the addition of player and guild housing to WoW might breathe some life into the RP scene. In EQ2, people would run RP "bars" and they were quite successful. It would give players who like and care about RP somewhere to organize and do their thing without bugging or being bugged by players who don't like or care about RP.
82 Gnome Warrior

1. Lag overload Servers on verge of a meltdown trying to display 15 million Houses.
2. Lag maga Overload Servers on verge of going Nuclear Explosion trying to Display 15 million Guild Houses.
3. *Boom Servers Super Nova's for trying to display Player Towns from Lag super maga overload*.
4. won't be around for Artisan Crafting Classes cause Servers blew up.

85 Goblin Hunter

Player towns, basically, if a group of say (10) players places their houses within a acceptable distance of one another, they claim the area as a village and are given options to purchase a town hall. The larger the town becomes, the more benefits it gets including flight masters, zeppelins, etc.

Artisan crafteables? Furniture, decorations, house or keep building materials, siege machinery, things like that.

So... you wanna play the Sims?

*hands 20 bucks over*

Go to Wal-Mart
26 Dwarf Paladin
I feel bad for people who desperately want a home inside of a video game. This same thing is being talked about in the rift forums and it's scary how serious people are about it.
85 Troll Priest
I checked.

Blizz said "No. We don't want player capitals to be ghost-towns."
85 Goblin Hunter
I checked.

Blizz said "No. We don't want player capitals to be ghost-towns."

This, and I'd rather have them working on class mechanics.

I'm not supporting player housing, but the problem with them working on class mechanics is that they're ALWAYS tweaking classes, it gets to the point where the class isn't the same that you rolled at lvl 1. I've never played a warlock, and all the QQ i hear about them, i'm not going to touch one any time soon.
90 Tauren Druid
I would like to see an EQ2 based housing system. Instanced and Guild Rank based.

Huge Gold Dump
Huge resource usage
Huge development usage

Back to the Guild Ranking thing...could you imagine the forums about the "small guilds" and low Ranked Guilds...........

Or, base it off your personal toon's Achievement system?
41 Dwarf Warrior
No to all. The entire world is enough of a ghost town. Player housing -> all major cities are ghost towns.

Go play The Sims if you want to decorate a house.

edit: The disclaimer is just silly. It gave me a good laugh.
Edited by Stren on 2/15/2011 9:23 AM PST
85 Human Paladin
This has been asked since beta.

Like beta beta, not cata beta.

How long has it been, 5 years?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]