"The Player Housing Thread"

(Locked)

85 Blood Elf Paladin
IIRC there was talk of guild houses but blizz wanted us all in org for some god awful reason
What is this irrational fear people have about the cities becoming ghost towns? People will always use the cities, because they're trade hubs. Even if some kind of player housing was implemented, you wouldn't be able to join trade chat from your house. You also wouldn't be able to access the AH from your house.

Let's keep the fear mongering to a minimum.
85 Human Mage
They should let me build my house out of oragomi rocks.
91 Undead Rogue
I want player housing. I pay my subscription fees.

The same fees as those who don't want player housing. Perhaps, if the opinions of those who don't want player housing are more important than those of us who do, then we should should pay less each month, just as our opinion is counted for less.

If you don't want a house, don't get one. Simple. Oh, and the Sims comment, weak.

If you want more "real" females playing female characters, get player housing. I still go into towns. I still level my character. But I will eventually, again, leave WoW and go back to EQII, because I miss the housing. I would rather stay here and finally get a character level maxed.

And really, what difference does it make if I hang out in my house for hours, or run around outside, if I'm paying my subscription fee. That's my business, and more profit for Blizzard.

More people doing ANYTHING in the game = more money for Blizzard.

Have to agree with the above comment, we pay our fees. So much emphasis is placed on PVE, when I'm a PvPer. I don't PVE, so if you don't want the housing, agreed, don't get it.

Player housing can really expand the RP. So many other MMO's are utizling player houses, there is no reason Blizzard can't do it. Also, players enjoy the personal space to call their own in the other MMO's and to display their items.

In fact with so many people quitting WoW, many of my friends are quitting just telling me it's the same thing over and over, they're wanting variety and many of them tell me player housing would keep them in WoW.

Lag in the cities is a serious issue. Player housing could offer some easement in the cities, as some people would spend time in their houses. Why does the city have to be a 24 hour hang out spot? Why not go to it for trade, auctions and trainers, and to hang out some if you like? There are some parts of Org where my fps drops to 1 and I eventually freeze.

It would also definitely open up more professions and goals for your character to attain.

And this would definitely cut down on RP griefers, giving RPers a place to go to get away from those who are annoyed with RPers, (despite they're being on an RP server), and giving us RPers a place of escape from those who annoy us with griefing.
Edited by Spense on 4/7/2011 4:55 AM PDT
92 Dwarf Shaman
Game overload.

/discussion

I'm assuming you mean that the world would get too crowded with housing, which is an issue that would definitely need to be addressed. There are numerous ways to control it, but ultimately we would need a few extra zones tacked on here and there to really support housing, but that's really easy to do.

No you would need alot of extra servers...... Take ultima Online for example... housing there was decent but even then the system was always riddled with problems... and always caused huge lag.

you can say "oh it will be instanced" all you want but then you will have the "instance server is busy" problem all over again.... Housing of any type is not needed at all in this game.

Guild housing is a stupid idea... you have guild chat... a guild bank... you can essentially pick a deserted building and have a meeting if you wanted too... and that wouldn't cause lag or waste the dev's time....

What I would love to see... which would prolly get more action than this lame brain thread is the ability to declare war on other guilds. meaning I could declare war on allaince and horde guilds and they could do the same to me.. and if both guilds have declared war on each other they are auto flagged for every member of the opposing guild. the is world of warcraft right? put some war into it.
86 Night Elf Priest
First off, the comment that player housing would empty the cities is laughable. I can't speak for horde side, but the cites are already as empty as empty can be, including Shatt and Dal. Over the past few weeks I've really been paying attention to how many people are actually in the other cities during peak hours, and I was hard pressed to count into double digits - not even 10 people in Dalaran, which allows both factions in and I find that a shameful waste. It's like all the work everyone put into designing those cities was all for naught. I think housing would breathe new life into the world because not everyone will want to live in just SW/Org.

Second, as to housing not serving a purpose, it gives players more to do. How is that not serving a purpose? It introduces more crafting skills, it would give the skills we have now more recipes. People farming mats, or doing quests to acquire cool stuff for their houses. Guild achievements could open up things the guild can buy for their Guild House, as well as a place to display trophies from raids that they ran together. More people would be more involved in Azeroth and I fail to see how that isn't serving a purpose.

I think it should be instanced housing, in pre-designated areas of each city, not just houses anywhere someone feels like building one. No access to trade chat, the ah or the bank. I think that we should have to be exalted with whatever city we want to purchase housing in. Just one house per realm for all of our characters to share.

I'm no programmer and I can't imagine it would be an issue of someone waving their magic wand and we have housing. It would take time, resources. But it's not as though this is a new concept to the mmo market - EQ2, LOTRO, Runes of Magic all have player housing and all of the above have a p2p and f2p market. They don't have the playerbase WoW has, they don't have the income WoW has, and they aren't privy to the the amazing talents that work for Blizz, yet they have player housing. And an appearance tab. For people who don't pay a dime.

And if it did happen, I know without a doubt Blizz would do it better.

*bows to the WoW gods
85 Tauren Druid
Player housing made sense in SWG...it was an open world built on players and communities. Even then, lots of abandoned whole towns ended up dotting the landscape.

This is a completely different game, built on raids and endgame. All it would do here is lag the servers and take up zone space where the space here is very designated. nearly every inch has a function.

I can see why the rp'ers would want it but this simply is not the kind of game where housing makes any sense in balance with the detrimental effect it would have on the game as a whole.

Would instanced housing function here? maybe. but then you must again balance that against adding a ton of servers to handle the extra load.

Keep in mind that rp'ers are very much a minority and any huge investment in time and programming effort needs to translate into making the game much better for the majority of players and to bring new subs in. housing simply doesn't create that kind of return compared with further content. It simply is not a justifiable use of programmer and developer time in comparison.

Lastly, most people just used the instanced housing in EQ2 as banks, just storing all their extra crap. All it really ends up being for most people is unused database space really. Ultimately, even in SWG, many people are simply virtual hoarders in need of an intervention.
90 Undead Mage
I would love to see player housing....just not in World of Warcraft. I honestly don't think it would work here.

04/07/2011 06:13 AMPosted by Giamae
many people are simply virtual hoarders in need of an intervention.

Just because some people like to collect things in a virtual environment doesn't make it an affliction.
86 Night Elf Priest
Actually I've toured some amazing houses in EQ2 and saw a lot of time and effort put into them. Were there some that functioned as bank? Sure. But more often than not, players put a lot of care into their housing :)
85 Blood Elf Mage
WoW was designed with player housing in mind. During beta and even shortly after release, this was not even a "we want to" or "this is being considered" but it was a definate thing.

There was even an instance portal behind a gate that led to the player housing instance in Stormwind. Both Katricia and Caydiem even said this would be done. However, other things ended up taking priority. In 2007 Tigole talked about it and said it was still on the to do list but admitted that there was no way to know when.

However at this point I would not expect it to happen. I seriously doubt we will ever see major changes and upgrades to the game and only expect to see minor things such as remote guild chat.
86 Night Elf Priest
There was even an instance portal behind a gate that led to the player housing instance in Stormwind. Both Katricia and Caydiem even said this would be done. However, other things ended up taking priority. In 2007 Tigole talked about it and said it was still on the to do list but admitted that there was no way to know when.

I know there's more important things that are needed right now, but it would be nice to know if it's still on the proverbial back burner or if the idea has been scrapped altogether...
86 Night Elf Priest
All these topics are garbage.

Why would Blizzard implement any kind of "housing."

So you can go there and stare at the wall, or stare at the character of someone in your guild?

If you have nothing to do besides log in and stare at walls, or stare at your guildmates, log off and do something else.

Just because it isn't something you would be interested in doesn't mean it's garbage. It just means it's something you wouldn't be interested in. Not everybody is. But there are those of us who would love to have player housing.

It's not about logging in just to stare at the walls or guildies, it's about having a place to make your own - older armor sets displayed on mannequins, vanity pets running around, trophies representing one's triumphs proudly displayed over a crackling fireplace...it's just another way of enjoying the game.

why cant we summon a tent with maybe a small strongbox and proff bag inside.so where ever you are you have like a small home to relax in. of course you could upgrade and decorate with better stuff as you lvl up , just like gear.
85 Blood Elf Mage
04/07/2011 09:53 AMPosted by Elunebaku

I know there's more important things that are needed right now, but it would be nice to know if it's still on the proverbial back burner or if the idea has been scrapped altogether...

Technically back burner. But it's the same back burner with the Dance Studio. all promised things that honestly, I don't think will ever happen.

I hope I am pleasantly surprised and turn out being wrong, but I don't think Blizzard intends to ever seriously improve WoW at this point. There is no real pressing need. From what's being said Rift is already bleeding subscribers. The new Star Wars MMO will probably have it's fans, but it is a sci fi genre, not direct competition. Not to mention, many will remember what happened to the last Star Wars MMO. Some will say that was under a different company, however the changes that ruined that one supposedly came under George Lucas's orders, and of course he will still have final say over any Star Wars product. Guild Wars 2 may take playing hours away from WoW, but it probably will not come out before Christmas, and since it is free to play, it may not affect WoW's subscription numbers much even if it is wildly successful.

Of course the above is also dependent on Blizzard worrying about competition. The thing that has hurt WoW the most is lack of competition. A competiting product in anything always results in more innovation overall. But it does seem Blizzard's attention is on Titan so may not really care if WoW starts bleeding subscriptions.
90 Human Paladin
Player Housing, if done right, is something that could add a great deal of substance to this game; a substance that is currently lacking. There is so much talk about how people are "bad" and "shouldn't be in my heroic/raid because they don't know how to play their class" or how some people "aren't cut out for raiding" or "don't deserve the gear they get." Even if these ridiculous comments are true in a small way, if these people shouldn't be raiding or in heroics, then what should these people be doing?

I'm in support of any idea that adds more depth to this game, a kind of depth that everyone can participate in regardless of someone's perceived "skill." The community needs something like this. I played EQ2 and other games that had housing. While some housing systems were underwhelming, others actually kept and held interest for a small population of people. From the small portion of this feature that I was exposed to, I was really impressed by the creativity of some individuals in how they designed their house. There is a lot of material to work with in the World of Warcraft and I think a housing feature has the potential to be something amazing.
90 Human Paladin
First off, the comment that player housing would empty the cities is laughable.

I understand your comment and I too agree that some cities are already empty, but the player/guild housing and whether to implement it into a game like this, the number one concerns has always been the emptying of cities. I would not consider this idea laughable by any means, but a very real concern.

I know developers from EQ2 had some regrets about making so many things available inside house and guild halls because people rarely ventured into cities to get things. This made the world seem like it was empty.

In a game world like one an MMO produces, if it seems empty, then you assume that the game either isn't doing well or you don't feel like you're a part of a community. This could have severe impact on the game as a whole. I think if this idea is ever considered, the first objective would be to determine how to implement this in a way that doesn't take away from the community.
100 Draenei Mage
This is absolutely unrealistic.

It would take up more of the game and put much more stress on the servers. Plus this feature would probably get boring very soon.

If you want to try out player housing, play Runescape. Gets boring there after a bit too.

I'm not for anything that cause a whole lot more lag and is just too much stinking data.
90 Tauren Warrior
I could see some kind of a guild house working as an instanced location, and probably something for a high level guild as well to reduce bloat and server load (like a level 20+ reward). Player housing seems like it would be way, way too many resources for a game with as many players as WoW, and things that actually effect the "real world" like setting up physical towns would never work. Any kind of a housing setup would have to be instanced.

it's so far down the list of what needs to be done though I can't imagine it will ever be implemented.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]