"The Player Housing Thread"

(Locked)

1. Lag overload Servers on verge of a meltdown trying to display 15 million Houses.
2. Lag maga Overload Servers on verge of going Nuclear Explosion trying to Display 15 million Guild Houses.
3. *Boom Servers Super Nova's for trying to display Player Towns from Lag super maga overload*.
4. won't be around for Artisan Crafting Classes cause Servers blew up.

Personally, i don't really wanna see this in game. Runescape had player housing.

Now.. regarding the quoted post, there is a solution to solving the very comical issues this poster brings up. I am basing this off of how things were done with PoH in Runescape.

In runescape, anyone who plays or played it know that PoH (player owned housing) was done via a big portal in several spots around the game, which each portal having its own theme. This is like "instancing" in WoW.

If blizzard does this, it would require Instancing, but it would be a burden on the servers from the additional instancing of some 10-15 million people having their own homes. Plus....the cities would be deserted.that wouldn't be fun at all!

Still, it is possible for it to be done, but this would be something that needs to be done properly.

I agree it's something that needs to be done properly, but I believe it's something Blizzard could pull off well. As was said earlier in the thread, making sure crafting and queueing requires that someone be out in the city would help to deal with the empty Stormwind/Orgrimmar situation.

Placing player housing in all the little small towns out there would give people incentive to be out in the world (I'd personally live in Duskwood).

For the instancing, yes. It would need to be instanced. There's just no other way to make it work that wouldn't require massive re-tooling of the existing zones. The instance server would need to be made much more robust than it is now, or a separate server would be needed to handle the housing aspect.
100 Dwarf Paladin
04/08/2011 08:18 PMPosted by Saraliana
I agree it's something that needs to be done properly, but I believe it's something Blizzard could pull off well. As was said earlier in the thread, making sure crafting and queueing requires that someone be out in the city would help to deal with the empty Stormwind/Orgrimmar situation.

Just think back to WotLK. Two features, the auction house and class trainers, kept Stormwind, Ironforge, and Orgrimmar all heavily populated despite the fact that zero relevant content existed in the old world during WotLK.
04/08/2011 08:27 PMPosted by Eloderung

Just think back to WotLK. Two features, the auction house and class trainers, kept Stormwind, Ironforge, and Orgrimmar all heavily populated despite the fact that zero relevant content existed in the old world during WotLK.

It did indeed.

Add in the need for a loom, anvil, forge, etc for crafting as well as mat vendors would also do so. There's really no reason to worry that the cities would empty out.
86 Night Elf Priest

Personally, i don't really wanna see this in game. Runescape had player housing.

Now.. regarding the quoted post, there is a solution to solving the very comical issues this poster brings up. I am basing this off of how things were done with PoH in Runescape.

In runescape, anyone who plays or played it know that PoH (player owned housing) was done via a big portal in several spots around the game, which each portal having its own theme. This is like "instancing" in WoW.

If blizzard does this, it would require Instancing, but it would be a burden on the servers from the additional instancing of some 10-15 million people having their own homes. Plus....the cities would be deserted.that wouldn't be fun at all!

Still, it is possible for it to be done, but this would be something that needs to be done properly.

Placing player housing in all the little small towns out there would give people incentive to be out in the world (I'd personally live in Duskwood).

For the instancing, yes. It would need to be instanced. There's just no other way to make it work that wouldn't require massive re-tooling of the existing zones. The instance server would need to be made much more robust than it is now, or a separate server would be needed to handle the housing aspect.

Wow, never thought about living in a town - just figured that housing would be in the capitols - suppose anywhere that has an inn would suffice :)

Blizz has the best talents out there imo. The how they know, I think it's a matter of justifying it myself...time is money after all. Idk much about how the whole process works, but I'd imagine more servers would have to be put in. It would certainly cost money to do, but I think we're worth it :)
72 Troll Shaman
The only thing that comes close to this I would suggest is a 'Guild Hall' an instanced area where guildies could just hang out in person

That way when Guildies want to group together they don't have to organize a place to meet, but instead just know to go to the guild hall.

Hell I'd be happy with just a large empty building in SW and Org labeled the Guild Hall where people in guilds could just go and hang out.
86 Night Elf Priest
Guild housing is a must have and realistically, I see this implemented before single-player housing.

I'll take what I can get, but won't be happy till I get what I want!!!

ya I know, typical woman lol...

In all seriousness tho, I'm of the mind that if Lilkitten is right,

"WoW was designed with player housing in mind. During beta and even shortly after release, this was not even a "we want to" or "this is being considered" but it was a definate thing.

There was even an instance portal behind a gate that led to the player housing instance in Stormwind. Both Katricia and Caydiem even said this would be done. However, other things ended up taking priority. In 2007 Tigole talked about it and said it was still on the to do list but admitted that there was no way to know when.", maybe it's just a matter of when...Rather have this than some dance studio...

100 Dwarf Paladin
games are either built with player housing in mind or they are not

it is not something you can just hot fix or patch in willy-nilly

i know this

i took a computer class in 1998

It's impossible to add instances into the game?

That's news to me.
I'm going to go ahead and toss this one back to the top.
85 Worgen Warlock
I don't think player housing would work, Guild Housing is defiinitely manageable and a secondary crafting profession would be awesome. It could serve as a focus point for RP meetings, guild meetings, guild parties, and for other people to observe rare vanity items obtained by the guild for defeating hard mode bosses or purchased by the guild with gold, etc.
90 Night Elf Priest
I am a girl. I would like a house. I want storage space for all of my beautiful armor sets/flowers/weapons/holiday items! I want a clothes closet for all my dresses, and the many more I will collect. My daughter and I have a whole guild tab devoted to clothes that are not BoE. Most are grays. All are pretty.

There are many beautiful towns already. Why not have houses based on the house design of the town nearby? A guild house would be a bigger version, and a player house would be a smaller version. For gold, you could work on the interior of your house with furniture, shelves, and display space. You could have a player house corral for your mounts, and inside, beds and clothes for your pets.

I want to have my hearth in my house, not an inn. I want my own bed where I can lie down and not have someone try to sit there, too [even though I know this probably won't happen, it's the thought of people sharing my bed that makes me just log out in a chair or in the bank].

I would like to have a second hearth to a major city so I can bank, train, AH, and trade. I would not spend much time lounging in my house because I am busy with quests, my guild, and my professions. But, I would love to do my professions in my house or outside by the stable. I would not be cluttering chat with my many bolts of cloth or bars of ore. I would log out in my house after a brief look at some treasured item. Or, I could invite my sister and daughter to dinner and a sleepover. I would still spend a good bit of time in a city.

The guild house would be a great place to share items I have collected, if there was a way to make old armor non soulbound so guild members could play dressup in a social event. Or a friend could just try it on to see how she would look in it. Or we could display and keep guildbound items for loan. Our guild page could provide limited trading and repairs while we waited for a dungeon. We could have portraits of our inactive members [fully one-third of our members are, and this guild is a permanent parking place for them by policy]. Our infrequent members [another third of our guild] could have a comfy place to sit and chat with us...they might join us more often.

Many mats go into houses that already exist in-game. Crafted recipes could be added to existing professions...engineers could craft nails and screws. Leatherworkers could add woodworking to their skills. Blacksmiths might make beams and concrete. Tailors with thatching skills for roofs. Enchanters for instant builds. Herbalists gathering grasses and woods. Miners digging tunnels to connect places. Engineers provide new means of getting to our homes through these new tunnels, as well as gadgets and furnishings to go in them. All the professions might contribute to things for inside the homes, and out.

What about those of us who crave a traditional Queen Anne Victorian or a house that doesn't fit the surrounds of the place we want to put it? How about float it above the place with a view but hide it in a cloud. Or bury it in a tunnel only you or your friends can see. For extra gold, have nontraditional houses in nontraditional places.

Or allow us to have a backpack that unfolds into a small house wherever we happen to be with our things displayed on a timed rotation.

The question is storage space for the vanity items. My choice is a house, not a room in an inn and my bags. I am not a visitor in Azeroth. It has been my imaginary home for over a year. I don't want to just visit. When I spend my game time, I want to LIVE in Azeroth.
100 Dwarf Death Knight
I am all for guild housing. If not in the idea that you can plop down a keep in the middle of the world somewhere at least something that can be used as a hub for guild mates.

To be fair the way I see guild property working is like claimed keeps in Warhammer online, or forts in DAOC. Something that can be fought over. A reason for World pvp.

Doesnt look like it will happen anytime soon. They even addressed this in the last set of Dev questions.
76 Goblin Hunter
Why? What about World of Warcraft makes people think it would be worth developer time to make a room for you to decorate and do back-flips in?

I SERIOUSLY NEED TO KNOW WHY
100 Night Elf Druid
Player Housing:

This is a nice idea, but would require an /enormous/ amount of development work to create. I will say that I enjoyed housing in UO...although building stuff as an admin was more fun from a sandbox sort of perspective. Also, I don't think we'll ever see this as actual in-world houses -- too much of the world is used for questing, resources, and so on for you to plop a house down right over where the only pack of <quest mob 97> spawns.

Of course, if you respond that we could then just protect all such areas...
1) more development,
2) that leaves you about two square inches per continent.

Guild Housing:

Blizz recently stated they don't think this'll happen soon, and I kinda see what they're saying -- the capital cities would be deserted because everyone would just be hanging out in the guild halls.

Player Towns:

I think that the architecture of WoW is not really set up around this, so they'd practically have to develop another game for this to occur.

Crafting Class:

Eh? This just doesn't sound like it fits in the game.
100 Undead Priest
In my opinion investing in housing has two negative effects on the game.
1) It takes development/art/design resources away from other areas of the game. Just look at the QQ regarding a rework of ZA/ZG.
2) It would reduce the number of people seen in capital cities. As populations (based on visual observation) appear to decline it sets up an internal perception in the players that the population of the game is falling. This would lead to people actually quitting the game "because I never see anyone" and this would certainly not be in Blizzards best interests.
85 Night Elf Priest
04/07/2011 04:38 PMPosted by Kybeorie
Blizzard themselves said that they would not just put in housing, just to have housing. They'd only put it in if it had a real purpose in the game.

Exactly this. Blizzard devs have definitively stated that player housing will only be added to WoW if they can find some way to attach it to gameplay. It will not be implemented if it's only real purpose is being a place for players to sit and stare at decorations.

Furthermore, the idea that player houses would occupy space in the game word is flat-out ridiculous. WoW was not designed for that - it doesn't have the vast amounts of open space that, say, SWG had. If such a thing were attempted, all of the decent landscape in the game world would be crowded with houses, and space would still run out before every player who wanted a house was able to get one.

There are only two realistic options regarding player housing in WoW:

1) It will never happen. This is the most likely case, especially considering that WoW is now a thoroughly middle-aged MMO. If Blizzard has any interesting player housing ideas, I think we're more likely to see them implemented in whatever next-gen MMO they eventually replace WoW with.

2) It will happen, but will be instanced housing like EQ2 had. Has. Whatever. The point is, if we see player housing in WoW, it will not take up actual space in the game world.
11 Undead Mage
DDO has the best Guild Housing I've seen in an MMO. Guild Airships. You can board yhour ship from almost any zone and teleport from it to any other zone. You can have crafting stations, merchants, target dummy that applies Hit % buffs, Guild vault, buff stations for just about any stat. And of course the higher level your guild the larger airship you can purchase.

87 Blood Elf Hunter
How about just a club house aka guild house?

You can go into a inn or tavern and port there. You have to have a 80% full Guild with 90% of players active. Guild gets to decorate once you want to leave you port back to the tavern you came in through.

Kinda the way I imagine the dungeons to work.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]