Cat DPS Guide - 4.3

(Locked)

85 Tauren Druid
Hi everyone,

As you may have guessed I've agreed to take over maintenance of the Cat DPS Guide from Yawning. Some of you may remember way back in Vanilla when I maintained the original Cat DPS Guide before it was handed over to Toskk, Demoneater and finally to Yawning, and it feel strange to have come a full cycle (though I hope this means Toskk will be back soon!)

With Yawning's blessings, I've taken the liberty to reorganize a lot of the information, reducing or moving some of the redundant or overly technical information, and generally to make it easier for newcomers to navigate and comprehend. I've added item links and added chapter links to the content page. There's still a bit more work to do, especially chapter 9, and I should be getting round to that soon. For highly technical information (i.e. lots of maths), I may post them on Theincbear blog and link to them from here.

If you have any suggestions on how I can improve this guide or feel that something is missing, do let me know and I'll do what I can

Thanks!
Edited by Tangedyn on 2/16/2011 3:21 AM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
Welcome back to the Kitty world Tang!!! Thanks for getting this info back up.

Edit**

I think it was you or Ressi, on the blog once mentioned bear/kitty macros for things like mangle, swipe, charge, etc. I'd really like to see something like that either here or on the blog. Thanks again for all the work by all of you folks it has helped me tons over my playing career.
Edited by Jaymzhendo on 2/16/2011 3:26 AM PST
- World of Warcraft
95 Night Elf Druid
Hi everyone,

As you may have guessed I've agreed to take over maintenance of the Cat DPS Guide from Yawning. Some of you may remember way back in Vanilla when I maintained the original Cat DPS Guide before it was handed over to Toskk, Demoneater and finally to Yawning, and it feel strange to have come a full cycle (though I hope this means Toskk will be back soon!)

With Yawning's blessings, I've taken the liberty to reorganize a lot of the information, reducing or moving some of the redundant or overly technical information, and generally to make it easier for newcomers to navigate and comprehend. I've added item links and added chapter links to the content page. There's still a bit more work to do, especially chapter 9, and I should be getting round to that soon. For highly technical information (i.e. lots of maths), I may post them on Theincbear blog and link to them from here.

If you have any suggestions on how I can improve this guide or feel that something is missing, do let me know and I'll do what I can

Thanks!

Welcome back to the forums.

You get my seal of approval.
85 Night Elf Druid
welcome back!
90 Tauren Druid
Tangedyn,

I mentioned this to Maybelle in the other thread, and I will let you two work out the details.

I live by the numbers, and ideas in these posts, so, I will do whatever I can to support either.

I appreciate the respect to Demoneater, and Yawning.

Looking forward to you driving the Feral Ship!
85 Worgen Druid
Hello Tangedyn, and thanks for continuing the efforts set forth by yourself as well as others. I believe the section about glyph of berserk is possibly dated. For one, it's definitely not a warlock killer anymore (since it doesn't break fear) but it also shows higher than TF according to mew at higher gear points, I believe, especially with the shift of damage into shred and mangle.

Infact, savage roar does as well. Values are as follows:

According to Mew: with shred, rip, feral charge glyphs baseline:

TF: 24493.72771
SR: 24499.39155
Berserk: 24601.41943

If requested, I can post the rest of the stats I used to obtain these numbers.
Edited by Slott on 2/16/2011 7:06 AM PST
I like the new look! Very nice, very organized. Thank you very much for your hard work! I know I'd be wearing totally random crap and spam-clawing things without the efforts of people such as Toskk, Yawning and yourself.

Voted for sticky! Druid powah!

(...nice to see that some jackwagon is reporting the posts...)
85 Night Elf Druid
Bad
Will direct everyone from the thread I posted over to here. Glad to see you back on the sticky train.
85 Night Elf Druid
Sticky!
85 Worgen Druid
Bump+Sticky
90 Night Elf Druid
hi. awesome guide! i came to the forums for some reforging advice actually. that part (2.4) of your guide is missing :(

reported for sticky
85 Tauren Druid
Thanks for the feedback and support!

02/16/2011 3:13 AMPosted by Jaymzhendo
I think it was you or Ressi, on the blog once mentioned bear/kitty macros for things like mangle, swipe, charge, etc. I'd really like to see something like that either here or on the blog. Thanks again for all the work by all of you folks it has helped me tons over my playing career.

To be honest, I wasn't aware that Feral Cats need many macros besides focus-skull-bash. I you know of more really useful ones, I will consider adding them to a new section the guide.

Hello Tangedyn, and thanks for continuing the efforts set forth by yourself as well as others. I believe the section about glyph of berserk is possibly dated. For one, it's definitely not a warlock killer anymore (since it doesn't break fear) but it also shows higher than TF according to mew at higher gear points, I believe, especially with the shift of damage into shred and mangle.

Infact, savage roar does as well. Values are as follows:

According to Mew: with shred, rip, feral charge glyphs baseline:

TF: 24493.72771
SR: 24499.39155
Berserk: 24601.41943

If requested, I can post the rest of the stats I used to obtain these numbers.

Thanks, I've just updated the Glyph section (love those item links) as well as updated comments on the Glyphs. With the default Mew profile (based on BiS gear), TF does seem to be better than SR and just slightly under Berserk, so it does seem to be very gear dependent. For now I'll call it a draw between the three glyphs and recommend Mew or other tools for those who want to determine the best glyph for themselves.
100 Night Elf Druid
/salute

/bump

/sticky vote
85 Worgen Druid
Tangedyn - which BIS profile? The defaults sent with it (including the 372 one) seems dated - it uses only 500 haste rating and pushes 2200 crit, using essence of the cyclone, and 400 strength on a worgen (mine is 165)... Is the BIS using a strength based weapon over agility? That doesn't really seem right...also the weapon shows 703.6 dps, staff is only 703.5. Akirus (2h mace) provides 385 strength, and 703.7 dps, so it'd not that. Something seems way off with that profile. Even on that bugged profile however, berserk comes ahead.

Nevermind - seems that profile uses a strength sinestra ring (that's my only guess that could be reasonable here, over a conclave ring)
Edited by Slott on 2/16/2011 11:01 AM PST
85 Night Elf Druid
Also Quick Note, Under the Trinkets Section, you have Unheeded Warning listed as Increasing Melee Damge. This got changed in 4.0.6 to add Weapon DPS, which buffed the trinket to be our BiS trinket, even over the 372s available at this time.
85 Tauren Druid
hi. awesome guide! i came to the forums for some reforging advice actually. that part (2.4) of your guide is missing :(

reported for sticky

Sorry about that, it is in now

Also Quick Note, Under the Trinkets Section, you have Unheeded Warning listed as Increasing Melee Damge. This got changed in 4.0.6 to add Weapon DPS, which buffed the trinket to be our BiS trinket, even over the 372s available at this time.

Fixed too, thanks

Tangedyn - which BIS profile? The defaults sent with it (including the 372 one) seems dated - it uses only 500 haste rating and pushes 2200 crit, using essence of the cyclone, and 400 strength on a worgen (mine is 165)... Is the BIS using a strength based weapon over agility? That doesn't really seem right...also the weapon shows 703.6 dps, staff is only 703.5. Akirus (2h mace) provides 385 strength, and 703.7 dps, so it'd not that. Something seems way off with that profile. Even on that bugged profile however, berserk comes ahead.

Nevermind - seems that profile uses a strength sinestra ring (that's my only guess that could be reasonable here, over a conclave ring)

Yeah I definitely remember Yawning mentioning that the Sinestra strength ring is BiS for us, so that's probably it. The default profile could use an update I guess, I'll check with Yawning on that. Anyway I've updated the guide to mention that Berserk is likely to be the best 3rd Glyph for most people
Edited by Tangedyn on 2/16/2011 11:19 AM PST
85 Worgen Druid
Liked and reported for sticky. It's ashame Blizz destroyed the old one with banning Yawning.
85 Tauren Druid
02/16/2011 12:17 PMPosted by Solbia
Liked and reported for sticky. It's ashame Blizz destroyed the old one with banning Yawning.
Little note - some things DO get caught in the crossfire. Unfortunately, the moderators deemed it necessary to purge Yawning's post history instead of individually deleting the "problematic" posts.

But I digress. Reported for sticky! :)
90 Night Elf Druid
Please sticky!

The cat community is bleeding leaders, so thanks for stepping up, Tangedyn!

90 Tauren Druid
02/16/2011 3:13 AMPosted by Jaymzhendo

Feral doesn't require many macros, however they can be very useful, some of mine:

#showtooltip
/cast [mod: shift] cower; [mod: alt] soothe; Mangle

#showtooltip
/cast [mod: alt] cyclone; Shred

#showtooltip
/cast [stealth] pounce; rake

I have several more macroes like this which either change functionality based on shift/alt, or stealth.

Another great Feral macro is a Feral Charge/Ravage macro

/castsequence reset=10; Feral Charge(Cat), Ravage

And for specific fights, a targeted innervate can be nice

/cast [@PLAYERNAME] innervate

this way you don't have to try and find a specific person in your unitframes

note: some of these may need tweaking to get the syntax right, I wrote these down from memory instead of copy/pasted.
Edited by Chakamber on 2/16/2011 1:08 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]