Cat DPS Guide - 4.3

(Locked)

85 Tauren Druid
if we refresh a tf rip through shred, will the rip continue ticking for the same damage, modified by tf, or will the damage decrease because tf is no longer an active buff. And if it no longer does the same damage, doesn't that make the shed glyph that much less attractive
85 Tauren Druid
The Glyph of Shred counts as an extension, not a refresh. The bonus damage from TF will be kept.
85 Worgen Druid
02/26/2011 1:30 AMPosted by Tangedyn
Well, there isn't much available besides ring and tier gear. Not sure why you got the relic since it is probably the lowest dps upgrade from anything you could get, but oh well. Just start grabbing up tier pieces to replace whatever 346s you have left (i.e. chest/legs).

While it's true that the Relic is a small DPS upgrade over R346 alternatives, you'll have to consider that it is also BIS until 4.1, so you won't be replacing it for a while.

I really don't think that is a valid reason. In any situation you will likely have your tier gear for a while (especially feral) and even if you get to do heroics you still need the original tier piece before you can upgrade (for some pieces, not helm/shoulders).

On a side note I used FB at 3 seconds left on Rip tonight. Yeah, rip fell off moments later (right when it hit 2 seconds left) and I lost all my combo points. Love them bugs that persist through entire content patches.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
120.109 Hit Rating = 1% Hit. The cap starts at 961.
120.1088 Expertise Rating = -1% Dodge. The cap starts at 781.

This may be a noob question but I'm starting a kitty alt and I need to know as much as possible.
So anyway, what do you mean by "the caps starts...?" Doesn't the cap mean that its the highest rating you can attain to get the full effect and its pointless to go beyond that?
85 Night Elf Druid
This may be a noob question but I'm starting a kitty alt and I need to know as much as possible.
So anyway, what do you mean by "the caps starts...?" Doesn't the cap mean that its the highest rating you can attain to get the full effect and its pointless to go beyond that?

The cap will raise each tier.
25 Draenei Shaman
So we generally need to keep crit and haste pretty equally balanced now?

And I also was wondering, does FB after 25% refresh with a new rip, or does it extend the rip.
to its max duration making a TF'd rip pretty important after 25%.
Edited by Rå on 3/3/2011 5:37 PM PST
100 Tauren Druid

And I also was wondering, does FB after 25% refresh with a new rip, or does it extend the rip.

i doubt it's possible to have equal amounts of crit/haste without sacrificing BiS gear. agility + talents + buffs in raids. besides Crit% will augment physical & bleed dps, as well as allow you to achieve more combo points per min.

haste% will allow you to shred more (every 6.66% = 40 more energy / min)
Along with crit%'s combo generation hastes% boost compound to create plenty of points. (Haste% should also maximize OoC which approaches 5ppm ic from some damage tests I have seen) So you are really just blending crit + haste to make sure you can perform a full damage rotation (with SR up) and not be starved for energy OR combo points.

Haste% should function better if you wish to down play single target bleed and want to be able to mash swipe a bit more for AoE performance. For me tab targeting more than 3 mobs for a mangle+rake+rip takes too much concentration, I can maybe do close to 12k on 4 mobs with tab targeting If i focus, but hit near 20k on 4 with berzerk

From some small tests, upon a refresh you have until the first new tick for the damage to check your buffs (TF + trinkets) after that it will be set... no free lunch
de-buffs on the others hand (mangles 30% boost) are checked each tick as far as i could tell, so if a mangle falls off, just re-mangle and the next ticks will get the boost.
Edited by Korba on 3/3/2011 6:55 PM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
03/03/2011 7:57 AMPosted by Konungr
The cap will raise each tier.

What? I hope you mean level.
85 Night Elf Druid
03/03/2011 8:47 PMPosted by Ikagawa

No, from what I have heard, Blizzard plans to raise the Hit/Expertise caps with each tier of raiding.
90 Night Elf Druid
03/03/2011 9:06 PMPosted by Konungr

No, from what I have heard, Blizzard plans to raise the Hit/Expertise caps with each tier of raiding.

That's odd. And kind of sucks as I think of it now. But I'm half asleep and I can kind of figure why they're doing it (no wasted itemization points if Hit/Expertise caps continue to be relevant by increasing the amount needed), so, meh. We'll just have to see how it pans out when the next tier hits the PTR.
85 Tauren Druid

Optimally, crit and haste should be kept in some sort of a balance, but we do not really know exactly where the balance point is. Assuming 1:1 rating as the balance point is definitely wrong, because it also depends on other factors. Mew can help you, but you need a huge amount of iterations to reduce the StdError to acceptable levels for finding the balance.

My best advice is try not to favor one over the other too much, keep a reasonable balance, and occasionally check with Mew to make sure the difference in stat value is not too big.

FB with BITW refreshes the Rip.

03/03/2011 9:06 PMPosted by Konungr

Ghostcrawler did say this, but it was long before Cataclysm, and I believe chance are very good they will not go ahead with this change for a couple of reasons.

1) Itemlevels are not increasing out of control in this expansion unlike in WOTLK
2) GC's post was made before Reforging was available. With reforging available, the change will probably not be necessary
100 Tauren Druid

FB with BITW refreshes the Rip.

if you missed the TF on your first rip you'd want do a new 5pnt one? (time permitting) with TF, then refresh with a single cp fb

iirc last i read. Mihir said that only the shred glyph would actually extend, but the rip bite would check the status of your buffs at refresh,
bah wish target dummies allowed for < 25% tests
Edited by Korba on 3/3/2011 11:29 PM PST
85 Tauren Druid
Well, with 4.0.6 what happens when you FB while < 25% is that a new Rip replaces your existing Rip. The strength of the Rip will depend on your stats when you applied the Ferocious Bite, as well as the number of combo points on the previous Rip.
85 Worgen Druid
I was wondering if someone could doublecheck my gear. I just switched from bear to cat, and reforging to hit 8% because I'm the only melee in the group at the moment aside from the tanks.
Also, what should I spend my next valor points on?
Edited by Arrus on 3/5/2011 1:12 AM PST
This might sound dumb... but is the VP epic agi relic better than what I have?
If so should I even bother using the VP for it?
Edited by Iondragon on 3/5/2011 5:04 PM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
I was wondering if someone could doublecheck my gear. I just switched from bear to cat, and reforging to hit 8% because I'm the only melee in the group at the moment aside from the tanks.
Also, what should I spend my next valor points on?

Don't reforge to hit. If an item has mastery on it already reforge the other stat to crit. If an item has crit but no mastery on it, reforge the other stat to mastery.
Don't reforge your neck.
22 agi enchant on cloak is better then 50 crit strike.
Reforge hit on your belt to crit.
Reforge haste on your boots to crit.
Reforge haste on both rings to crit.

Take 1 point out of Furor and Perservance and put them into Nurturing Instinct.
For Prime Glyphs change Glyph of Berserk to Glyph of Tiger's Fury.
For Major Glyphs change Glyph of Thorns to Glyph of Faerie Fire.
85 Night Elf Druid
Don't reforge to hit. If an item has mastery on it already reforge the other stat to crit. If an item has crit but no mastery on it, reforge the other stat to mastery.
Don't reforge your neck.
22 agi enchant on cloak is better then 50 crit strike.
Reforge hit on your belt to crit.
Reforge haste on your boots to crit.
Reforge haste on both rings to crit.

Take 1 point out of Furor and Perservance and put them into Nurturing Instinct.
For Major Glyphs change Glyph of Thorns to Glyph of Faerie Fire.

Mastery, Crit, and Haste are the three stats you should be looking for. Since both are our 2nd best stats depending on how good your gear is.

No. You are behind the times. Berserk is our 3rd Best Glyph, after Shred and Rip since 4.0.6.
85 Tauren Druid
I highly recommend having a second set of gear for Hit if necessary, and you might not want to get full 8%. Not all encounters require interrupts, and for most of them it's not fatal if you miss a couple

Halfus - Missing a Shadow Nova would be a pain but it's not fatal. Your tanks should also be interrupting this, so odds of all of you missing are much lower.
Cho'gall - Missing a Depravity is pretty bad, but again your tank will also be on this
Omnotron - Missing is generally not fatal but quite a pain. No help from the tank this time, since you will need an interrupt rotation
Maloriak - Missing Release Abberation is not fatal - you can interrupt the next one instead, Arcane Storm can be interrupted by casters too since there's a long cooldown on it
Nefarian - Missing a Blast Nova is fatal. You need only 601 Hit Rating against the level 85 Chromatic Prototypes though

03/05/2011 6:55 PMPosted by Eqúinox

This is no longer necessary in 4.0.6, Glyph of Berserk is about as good as Glyph of Tiger's Fury.
Edited by Tangedyn on 3/6/2011 12:53 AM PST
85 Worgen Druid
Do we still get 80% of our energy refunded if we miss? So far every guide i've seen says this, but, wasn't that removed?

Just going by what this says:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Primal_Precision

I'd really like to know if Hit/Expertise are still lower in importance than Mastery/crit/haste if it is true that we no longer get 80% back :(
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]