Cat DPS Guide - 4.3

(Locked)

85 Blood Elf Warlock
Is it worth running out and cat charging on CD to get the free ravage proc? Pretty sure I read somewhere before the patch that it will possibly be a dps boost.
100 Tauren Druid
If you have no energy running away for up to 3 seconds is just a few points of white dps, but a free ravage doing 15 and up to 40k damage? Yeah about 3k white lost = worth it for me

the state of DPS data parsing is interesting, was that raid data only? I was a healer until Cataclysm and just started kitty and find it slightly annoying being right up to the mobs, trying to keep the DPS +avoiding/repositioning. I found myself an Instant mana liability and as a former healer i hated giving any heals to dps that couldn't avoid perfectly. Range dps just seem superior intrinsically

i even wonder why any of us even bother with melee dps PvE, or im even invited to a raid.

I'm not surprised the top 5 PvE Dps are all range, it should be obvious. It is just superior at avoidance and keeping the volleys going.
Edited by Korba on 3/10/2011 6:09 PM PST
100 Tauren Druid
03/10/2011 4:15 PMPosted by Elaran
Is it worth running out and cat charging on CD to get the free ravage proc? Pretty sure I read somewhere before the patch that it will possibly be a dps boost.

Yes, but it is situational. You do not want to use the ravage at 5 combo points. You do not want to do it during berserk unless you time it well to use the free ravage after berserk falls off.

It does A LOT of damage for no cost. Do not use the Ravage proc if you have a lot of energy, but at the same time, do not let it go to waste.

Edit:

And the whole "gemming for hit" argument on the last page is stupid. Live and let live. If they want to gem for "quality of life", let them. To be the best, you ignore hit/expertise. But if you want a more relaxed time dpsing (feral rotation causes carpel tunnel), gem how you want. You play the game for you. Gem all str if you want. Don't come on the forums saying that it is the best way to play, but feel free to do it all day long for yourself.
Edited by Trombone on 3/11/2011 3:19 AM PST
85 Night Elf Druid
03/11/2011 3:16 AMPosted by Trombone
feral rotation causes carpel tunnel

I lol'd
85 Worgen Druid
Really? I find it to be the opposite. Playing cat is way less straining than playing a bear for example. We aren't GCD capped, and therefore are hitting less buttons, on average, than certain other specs/classes.
85 Night Elf Druid
03/11/2011 10:16 AMPosted by Slott
Really? I find it to be the opposite. Playing cat is way less straining than playing a bear for example. We aren't GCD capped, and therefore are hitting less buttons, on average, than certain other specs/classes.

It all has to do with how comfortable a particular player is with the spec, plus over the past 3 patches the Feral rotation has gotten ALLOT easier, which sucks. I loved the complexity.
85 Worgen Druid
I mean don't get me wrong, the it used to be more hectic keeping track of everything, but it wasn't like you could hit a button every 1-1.5 seconds throughout a fight. I'd say on average we use an ability what, every 2-3 seconds on average? (obviously sometimes you shred twice in a row or 3, then wait to pool stuff) but it's not like
MANGLE MAUL LACERATE MANGLE SWIPE THRASH MANGLE etc etc every gcd. It's a lot less button mashing and a lot more thinking as to what the next proper move is.
100 Tauren Druid
03/11/2011 10:31 AMPosted by Konungr
It all has to do with how comfortable a particular player is with the spec, plus over the past 3 patches the Feral rotation has gotten ALLOT easier, which sucks. I loved the complexity.

Yea. It was really bad on the wrist in wrath but it was fun. After bleed nerfs in the recent patch, the rotation has eased up a bit into SHEREDSHREDSHREDSHREDSHRED with no care about combo points. Also, I saw a quote on mmochampion that sums it up well

For #@*@ sake, i dont want to playing a #@*@ING 1 button mash for another #@*@ing tier, god damnit blizzard you are so #*#@!

You don't have to. Fire will still be competetive...

It won't be the highest dps spec, which means ill play arcane for progress, which will make me rage!!

Price you pay for being an elitest #*@%*%@.
Edited by Trombone on 3/11/2011 2:12 PM PST
85 Night Elf Druid
03/11/2011 2:11 PMPosted by Trombone
Yea. It was really bad on the wrist in wrath but it was fun. After bleed nerfs in the recent patch, the rotation has eased up a bit into SHEREDSHREDSHREDSHREDSHRED with no care about combo points. Also, I saw a quote on mmochampion that sums it up well

I hate the current rotation. I want my JOHN #*@#ING MADDEN back so bad. I was good at it, I rarely had less than 95% uptime with all of my timers, and that was in the Middle East on deployment with 3k latency.
100 Tauren Druid
03/11/2011 10:31 AMPosted by Konungr

Agreed completly, it used to be so much more fun when i actually had to try, now its just shreding and waiting for something to fall off which is really easy and not nearly as fun =(
1 Human Warrior
Glyph of berserk and TF dont mention fight duration at all... which is the huge factor on their dps return.
Both of their glyph return uptime are dependant on execution uptime over full fight duration.
10 seconds of uptime over a 3:30 fight for glyph of berserk is still only 10seconds of uptime for a 5:59 fight etc.

Both glyphs model in the perfect sandbox much further ahead of savage roar(a relatively passive constant) than they are in the reality of most fights that have windows of down time or cooldowns saved for specific events.

The window of use for them is very small, 3 seconds off cooldown on TF doesn't ensure you'll hit it 3 seconds earlier, 5 seconds on the end of a berserk doesn't ensure that those specific 5 seconds out of every 180+ you have 100% uptime on boss for.
For the most part we're not GCD capped at all, the small windows of these glyphs however easily can be effected by just a few misses or GCDs.
85 Night Elf Druid
on this sticky it says that enchant gloves - mighty strength is the best enchant for gloves. wouldn't a +50 mastery enchant on gloves be better?...and i see most cat druids with them
Edited by Sephiie on 3/12/2011 9:33 AM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
03/12/2011 9:33 AMPosted by Sephiie
on this sticky it says that enchant gloves - mighty strength is the best enchant for gloves. wouldn't a +50 mastery enchant on gloves be better?...and i see most cat druids with them

100 AP > 50 Mastery
85 Tauren Druid
03/10/2011 4:15 PMPosted by Elaran

It depends on how much fight time you lose. On some bosses (e.g. Chimaeron) you can Feral Charge without losing fight time. Mew is able to simulate "running away" for a configurable amount of time, you can check with Mew

03/12/2011 9:45 AMPosted by Ikagawa

100 AP > 50 Mastery

It's actually quite a bit more than 100 AP because of all the multipliers.
90 Night Elf Druid
03/12/2011 10:07 AMPosted by Tangedyn
It's actually quite a bit more than 100 AP because of all the multipliers.

I know that, but I don't feel like doing any math today!
85 Night Elf Druid
I have a question and wondering if anyone would answer this or smack me silly for even posting this question.
I used the 10% damage increase mangle glyph and my new mangle reads 506% and 1761 damage yet shred only does 450% and 1490 damage. Yet when practicing on a Raid Target dummy every mangle does less damage than shred by 1k points or more. This appears odd since mangle says it should do more damage. Anyone know why this is not the case?
100 Tauren Druid
03/14/2011 9:22 AMPosted by Saberclaw
This appears odd since mangle says it should do more damage.

shred would be useless (even with glyph) in that case
it would cost more energy but do less damage and only be used when behind a target...? By design the reward for its use is to gain damage per energy, not be worse.

03/14/2011 9:22 AMPosted by Saberclaw
Anyone know why this is not the case?

Effects which increase Bleed damage also increase Shred damage.
You might have forgotten this bonus
Edited by Korba on 3/14/2011 9:45 AM PDT
85 Night Elf Druid
03/14/2011 3:04 PMPosted by Dabearz
does stacking haste after agility and mastery make a big difference with energy regen? been looking for a table that shows how much energy per second you get for every 1% of haste, or something like that.

10% Haste gives you one more energy

10 Energy per second = 0% Haste
11 Energy per second = 10% Haste
12 Energy per second = 20% Haste

14 Energy per second = 10% Haste + Heroism

ECT.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]