Incoming Healer Changes

(Locked)

85 Night Elf Priest
I don't disagree with the changes - resto's needed the buff bad, and PW:S spam was far too powerful...but now, combined with the POH nerf last patch and the relative dearth of times for atonement, you've turned disc into a subpar healer that is brought for the external cd's ONLY.

Let's be honest - disc's heals are below those of other pure healers because of passive +healing bonuses that aren't present in the discipline tree. DA is supposed to make up for that, but only procs on crit heals (and the aforementioned nerfed POH), which hugely devalues mastery (+a %, on a % of the original heal only a fraction of the time is extremely weak). In addition, DA is a short duration shield that is unlikely to be consumed when raid healing (just ask the paladins how they like their mastery).

You've pigeon-holed disc into single tank healing with this nerf, and at that point I'd rather have just about any other healer for that job. Pallies have beacon, Shamans have the -10% physical in addition to very capable single target healing (now, with the buff), druids can roll a set of hots and take advantage of mastery, and holy priests - already a better raid healer than disc - get to go to single target chakra and crit far more than disc does while rolling hots. If I'm taking a disc healer to my raid (this includes myself - I'm headed back holy), it's because PW:B is needed for a specific boss mechanic, some sort of atonement cheese (no longer exists in the current tier), or there are huge MS debuffs (chim H, I'm speaking to you).

TL;DR: Give discipline something back in exchange for the large net nerf between 4.06 and this hotfix.

There's no way a Holy priest compares to a Disc Priest for single target healing. You are getting the same shield just a higher cost to it. This stops you from PW:S an entire 10 man raid pulling 21k HPS.

85 Undead Priest
wait... and a question...

why do all the disc priests think that Blizzard gives a hoot about their viability in arena?

this is Cataclysm. your pvp balance is achieved considering rated battlegrounds, not 3v3 arena.

They balance 3v3, 5v5, and rbg simultaniously. There have been no statements from blizzard saying that they will stop balancing arena.
85 Undead Priest
02/16/2011 11:19 AMPosted by Killborne
We believe that using a shield in a tight moment is totally appropriate, but we don’t want it to be incredibly efficient to do so with more frequency than that.

Are you planning on changing Discipline Mastery to be useful for more than 2 spells? Mastery focused on 1 spell that should only be used in a tight moment and one that only procs from crits seems counter-intuitive to these changes.
85 Goblin Priest

Seriously, stop with the crap.

This change is all in all not that bad. If you were a discipline priest before the buff, then you knew how to manage your spells and you didn't spam shield anyway. Now it retains its potency but the only difference is you cannot spam it during a raid. I still heal with penance followed by G-heal. Flash heal in a pinch and I keep 3-4 targets shielded. This is not going to "kill" my mana.

Because you don't PvP.

Not only does he not pvp he must not pve. If you flash heal then there's something wrong with you. You wouldn't be able to keep a raid up or conserve mana with spamming your little rotation. Your argument is only based on a pve perspective and doesn't take into account more than 3 spells. If you don't think there's something fundamentally wrong with disc then you're probably spam queuing for randoms and have yet to do some serious raiding or pvp for that matter.
85 Undead Priest
The cost of Power Word: Shield is being increased by 33%

I wonder how this will fair in arena...
85 Human Paladin
As a tank who raids with 3 resto shaman, I have to say thank you first to be courteous and second, please developers, stop being horrible at balancing. Fixing the issue later doesn't hide the issue that you failed first and foremost.
22 Gnome Warlock
OA
Seriously, what is the difference of Disc priest / Holy Priest in Blizz's mind?
(I always thought disc = single target and holy priest are aoe healers..ie poh+coh ..=X)

Discipline is ABOUT shields...and what do you do when we use it? Nerf it. Discipline FINALLY gets a PW:S worth using and you decide to increase the mana cost to make it so costly that your better off just going holy.

"We believe that using a shield in a tight moment is totally appropriate, but we don’t want it to be incredibly efficient to do so with more frequency than that." This is bull! Discipline is about PREVENTING damage....by pre-shielding...Do I use a PW:S when things get tight? Yes. Do I pre-sheild? Yes. Your now saying: USE PW:S ONLY WHEN THINGS GET TIGHT.

"Oh we are worried Holy priests might not use PW:S so we will fix it for them"...while Discipline gets nerfed into the ground. Screw this. I'm done healing.

I wonder why you even made priest 2 different healing trees. Why don't you just remove the Discipline tree altogether? I mean you obliviously don't want it to be used.

^ agreed

Priests

The cost of Power Word: Shield is being increased by 33%. While we wanted Discipline priests to be able to utilize this spell more often and with better results, we also did not want it to be the main spell (and often the only spell) used while in groups. We don’t find this to be a particularly compelling playstyle and have found that it encourages players to avoid using other spells such as Penance. We believe that using a shield in a tight moment is totally appropriate, but we don’t want it to be incredibly efficient to do so with more frequency than that.

I ono, tight moments... my 1st thought was "pain suppression"
Wonder if they'll next just make pw:s 100% mana cost too -__-"

We realize that by making Power Word: Shield slightly more expensive for Discipline priests to cast that it might cause Holy priests to avoid using it. To that end, we are adding mana savings into the Body and Soul talent. The tooltip will not reflect this change until a future patch, however. Ideally, Holy priests should not notice much of a change to the Power Word: Shield costs.

I just don't understand why holy priest gets more benefits from pw:s when it's not even their speciality. Instead of encouraging them to use pw:s, might as well also force them to use their own talented skills just like how disc priest are encouraged to use their own.
Or best ever, do something about the "we" who made this decision.
Edited by Anisetatlin on 2/16/2011 11:32 AM PST
85 Human Mage
You missed the point of the last 200 post. The way in which they handled it is the issue. The 2 options you list at the end of your post are not the only options.

02/16/2011 11:23 AMPosted by Vrkolak

Slightly? You increased the mana cost by 1/3, that's quite a bit more than "slightly." Everyone knew this was coming, but I guess its the huge mana cost increase that is surprising to me.

I really can't figure out what you guys want Discipline priests to do when put in the position of raid healer though, its either spam PW:Shield or spam PoH to keep grace up on the group. i don't see what the difference is between spamming one or the other. Some clarification as to what your expectation is would be helpful. I really love playing as Discipline, but I feel like I'm going to be forced to go back to Holy for raid healing which I loathe...

If you want to raid heal, spec Holy. You didn't think it odd when Disc were the healer to use for both Tank and Raid healing with how powerful PW:S was with a low mana cost? I mean, it's not like there were Disc Priests in here after patch claiming they were doing 20k HPS........Oh, wait a minute...yes, there were Disc Priests in here doing that. You knew this was going to happen. Either they would increase the mana cost or lower the absorb, you knew this wasn't going to last for long.
85 Orc Shaman
Thank you Blizz! Happy Shaman here!

Won't have to reroll a priest :X
so you said the changes might be as early as today, would it be effective by 8CT for my raid by chance? please say yes :)
85 Gnome Priest
Hooray for Shamans. It was just so painfully obvious they needed a buff.
85 Blood Elf Priest

Because you don't PvP.

Not only does he not pvp he must not pve. If you flash heal then there's something wrong with you. You wouldn't be able to keep a raid up or conserve mana with spamming your little rotation. Your argument is only based on a pve perspective and doesn't take into account more than 3 spells. If you don't think there's something fundamentally wrong with disc then you're probably spam queuing for randoms and have yet to do some serious raiding or pvp for that matter.

11/12

And tank heal chimaeron without a single flash heal. Go ahead, I'll wait.
85 Draenei Priest
Well after the match if I use PW:Shield Every cooldown I can gain a nifty 298 Mana from rapture. meaning this is no longer a mana saving spell. Good Job blizz on thinking things all the way through.
85 Blood Elf Priest
Putting aside the discussion on how debilitating the new mana cost of PW:S will be on disc priests or how effective it will be to stopping bubble spam for the moment. What I really found interesting is the following statement that was originally made:

We believe that using a shield in a tight moment is totally appropriate, but we don’t want it to be incredibly efficient to do so with more frequency than that.

When I read that I am thinking of situations where a tank is absorbing a boss burst damage ability or a DPS missed a damage avoidance mechanic, things that happen relatively infrequently in a fight. If PW:S is supposed to be an 'o crap' button it doesn't seem right that the most of the disc tree and the spec's mastery talent is built around it.

If the change was meant to bring down PW:S casts , stop pre-bubble spam and make disc priests rely more on other heals, I can't argue with that. Reading the blue post however I an unclear if they intend more than that. I agree with one of the previous posters, if PW:S gets relegated to the bottom tier of disc total healing then they really lose a compelling reason to play versus holy spec.

Very ... Well... Said. Why make a tree around PW:S if you don't want us to freaking use it. Thats like telling a holy priest to not use CoH too much even though their mastery benefits from it... This mastery crap that has been implemented is off balancing everything. Sure make 1 spec all around 1 specific heal, and then make this super cool thing called mastery which can or cant be beneficial for a class (In the case of disc priests it's awesome since it adds to the absorb amount) boost that 1tree's heal (Onetreehill) and say "no no no children.... you can't use that often).

Do you guys consider what about how its gonna work in PvP?

And @ the posts about QQ we won't be on top the HPS meters cause of less absorbs.... QueQue... It was like that in wrath when everyone was using recount and screaming at disc priests to pick their crappy heals up... and it can happen again. Everyone adjusts.

ugh.
Thanks!
85 Human Priest
So you fell Shadowpriests needed more costly shields? or did you just ignore the spec ?

You forgot to address 1 of 3 specs. Wait no you didn't thats typical lately..
85 Dwarf Priest
02/16/2011 11:23 AMPosted by Vrkolak
I mean, it's not like there were Disc Priests in here after patch claiming they were doing 20k HPS........Oh, wait a minute...yes, there were Disc Priests in here doing that.
I'm 11/12 10-man and I'm lucky if I get 10-11K HPS and top 3 DPS when I go shadow... Actually, we are all lucky if we even hit 11k HPS in 10 man normals.

I don't know where you are pulling your ridiculous numbers from.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]