Incoming Healer Changes

(Locked)

85 Blood Elf Priest
They meant using shield as a form of raid healing. You'll still use it on the tank every time it is available. You just won't be shielding the entire raid.

I don't think that's accurate. Reducing the efficiency by 75% puts it below Greater Heal, so they only time it's going to be worth casting on the tank is when Rapture is not on cooldown or when you need the extra throughput.

That's a big part of the reason that I am in favor of the "Grace refund" design. The state of shields was basically perfect from a tank-healing perspective, and it would be nice if PW:S actually had some synergy with our healing style rather than continuing to be a sledgehammer with varying effectiveness from patch-to-patch.
Edited by Akylie on 2/16/2011 11:49 AM PST
85 Undead Priest
Any chance you will modify Rapture with this change? Rapture is a critical source of mana for disc priests and increasing the amount of mana we have to spend to get a rapture proc is going to reduce the net gain from Rapture.
85 Night Elf Priest

What else would they do to a shield that has a hight absorb rate and low mana cost that was allowing 21k HPS?

They are letting you keep the power of the shield, you just can spam it like you did in WotLK. The problem was that Disc was shielding everyone in a 10 man raid and I'm sure that is not what Blizzard intended it to be.

Shielding everyone else at the cost of everyone's mana regen abilities. Like I said, I've seen the logs you are likely referring to and its absolutely ridiculous you think the players getting those numbers did so on their own. THey were propped up by Druids innervating them multiple times.

Do you believe it was Blizzard's intent on you shielding raid members with a shield meant for a tank and have it up 100% of the time regardless of how they got their mana regen?

Blame it on your fellow disc priests for having raid members feed them mana and all they are doing is popping shields on everyone pushing 21k HPS.
85 Blood Elf Priest
02/16/2011 11:40 AMPosted by Retrocution

Why would you ever use Flash Heal on the tank on Chimaeron?

Why wouldn't I? Double Strike requires the tank to have a good deal of health. if I fall behind I just cast a flash heal to start my top off.

Flash Heal is for when you fall behind or make mistakes, but I'm not sure how it's possible to fall behind on tank healing on Chimaeron because the damage is completely predictable. I totally understand using it when you are slow to react to Caustic Slime in that role, but healing the Double Attack tank is basically just a matter of spamming IF-macro'd GHeal with Penance and PW:S as appropriate.
80 Draenei Shaman
It is so good to see some feedback/acknowledgment on healing. Thank you Neth :)
Edited by Zyblue on 2/16/2011 11:50 AM PST
02/16/2011 11:44 AMPosted by Rxdeath
Any chance you will modify Rapture with this change? Rapture is a critical source of mana for disc priests and increasing the amount of mana we have to spend to get a rapture proc is going to reduce the net gain from Rapture.

I would love an answer to this question as well
85 Night Elf Priest

Do you believe it was Blizzard's intent on you shielding raid members with a shield meant for a tank and have it up 100% of the time regardless of how they got their mana regen?

Blame it on your fellow disc priests for having raid members feed them mana and all they are doing is popping shields on everyone pushing 21k HPS.

Firstly, not everyone was doing that. Your idea is akin to saying, "Oh, since everyone I've met in the middle east is a terrorist, we may as well blow up the middle east. Generalizing is never good, and its exactly what you're doing to this situation.

Because before there was a cool down on Circle of Healing, holy priests were using other heals right? No, before the cool down, holy priests would stand in range of everyone and just spam circle of healing on themselves for the entire fight.

It only takes a few "innovated" players to make abilities more powerful than what Blizzrad intended it to be. Having a constant stream of mana replenish (passive and active) and have your disc priest just tab shield was not Blizzard's direction of a Disc priest.

Adjustments are made and you wind up with a 10 second cool down on Circle of Healing and an increase mana cost to PW:S.
85 Undead Priest
How do you perceive the 33% increase to PW:Shield to affect Shadow Priests in a PVP environment?

Will we receive a talent change similar to holy in order to balance out the mana cost?
90 Tauren Death Knight
So you're nerfing a part of discipline and to balance it you're buffing holy?
Am I getting this right?

You don't like the way Disc Priests are using PW:S so you're nerfing it for disc priests but because it might affect Holy Priests...You're going to buff holy a bit.....

Yeah sorry but none of that makes sense.

Try reading it again. They are nerfing Disc Preists PW:S and changing a talent to keep it the SAME for Holy Priests. Holy Priests are not getting buffed... they are staying the SAME.
100 Night Elf Druid
I think Druids are fine when it comes to healing cooldowns. What I'd love to see is a mitigation cooldown, since we're the only healing spec that does not have a tool to reduce incoming damage.
85 Orc Shaman
Well let's see it in action before we get excited. Seeing Rdroods and Hpally's mana never running low and out healing a Shaman by 1k-2k+, I hope this fix will even the playing feild a bit.
85 Night Elf Priest
02/16/2011 11:50 AMPosted by Avonlee

I wouldn't count on it. He's basically asking that, "I know you increased the mana cost to cast shields, but are you going to give us more mana back and make the change you made pointless."
85 Draenei Shaman
Thanks for the buff :D!
100 Troll Priest
Priests

The cost of Power Word: Shield is being increased by 33%. While we wanted Discipline priests to be able to utilize this spell more often and with better results, we also did not want it to be the main spell (and often the only spell) used while in groups. We don’t find this to be a particularly compelling playstyle and have found that it encourages players to avoid using other spells such as Penance. We believe that using a shield in a tight moment is totally appropriate, but we don’t want it to be incredibly efficient to do so with more frequency than that.

We realize that by making Power Word: Shield slightly more expensive for Discipline priests to cast that it might cause Holy priests to avoid using it. To that end, we are adding mana savings into the Body and Soul talent. The tooltip will not reflect this change until a future patch, however. Ideally, Holy priests should not notice much of a change to the Power Word: Shield costs.

the suggested change to Power Word: Shield is a direct nerf to Discipline's Mana longevity.

The change, as written, will HURT our ability to last through fights while doing NOTHING to address the spam issue.

as presented in the blue posts, VERY well geared Disc priests will still be able to spam Power Word: Shield, they will simply have to make use of cooldowns more often (using the haste conversions for Hymn of Hope and Shadowfiend, and using trinkets like the Core of Ripeness and the alchemy trinket).

In fact, increasing the cost of healing will hurt single target healing somewhat, but shield spamming will STILL be viable with a gear change: Intellect -> mastery -> spirit, and avoid crit and haste at all costs. This pushes priests FURTHER toward raid-spam of bubbles.

Why not an increased cooldown? 6-8 second base cooldown, with Soul Warding reducing the cooldown by 1/2 seconds still (down to 4-6) seconds would let disc priests cast shield on multiple targets, but the cooldown would make shielding even an entire heroic group difficult or impossible.

If the problem with Disc priests is mana longevity is lasting too long, then this change is relatively in-line. If, however, the problem is the playstyle of using one spell to the exclusion of all else (as stated in the blue post), then please address that by actually making it physically impossible to cast a shield every 1 second, but don't nerf the mana longevity of the entire tree (heck, you could even add a 15/30% mana cost increase on the Soul warding talent)!
85 Blood Elf Priest
02/16/2011 9:34 AMPosted by Nethaera
While we wanted Discipline priests to be able to utilize this spell more often and with better results, we also did not want it to be the main spell (and often the only spell) used while in groups.

If you don't want Power Word: Shield to be Discipline's main spell used why is the majority of the talent tree and the spec's mastery dedicated to it, while ignoring just about every other spell in the priest spell book? What do you want to be Discipline's most used spell?
02/16/2011 11:55 AMPosted by Vrkolak

I wouldn't count on it. He's basically asking that, "I know you increased the mana cost to cast shields, but are you going to give us more mana back and make the change you made pointless."

No actually its a much deeper issue than that and a buff to rapture at this point would not be enough to to make shield spam viable again.
100 Orc Shaman
Thanks Neth good to hear you guys were listening. I'm pumped.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]