Incoming Healer Changes

(Locked)

85 Draenei Priest

And i have a feeling that shadow priests casting effective shields was never intended by the Devs, so i can't imagine shadow won't see the PW:S costs go up as well.

I'm not even worried about casting it on anyone but myself for this change, but on fights like heroic Magmaw 10, you have to keep PW:S on yourself the entire fight. Mana is already an issue before this change for Shadow.
85 Night Elf Priest
Priests

The cost of Power Word: Shield is being increased by 33%. While we wanted Discipline priests to be able to utilize this spell more often and with better results

While your fixing problems with the OP nature of PW:S, can you please fix the 1sec GCD+Latency bug with Soul Warding? (Can't que the GCD on a 1 sec CD, and the CD doesn't start until after the spell is registered as used on the servers end..)
Neth, are these Shaman/Druid Healing CD's going to be coming next tier (a.k.a. 4.1) or is this something you might do with a major patch (like 4.0.6)?

I ask because our team has a resto shammy and druid, so that would be awesome. :)

I can't answer that for you just yet (as far as a specific patch), thus why we tend to stick with "a future content patch". ;) Sorry!

Are there any plans to address the fact that everyone BUT Priests has infinite mana in a PvP environment... and you're increasing the cost of Priest shields but nothing on the HPal and RDruid side of things (which are the classes still with infinite mana in PvP)?
85 Goblin Priest
Isnt there some talent you could tweak to make penance work more smoothly with shields?

I might be biased, but 33% mana increase seems a little steep.
85 Blood Elf Priest
My concerns prior to 4.0.6. I chose to unsubscribe when I could no longer play my Disc priest. Don't go back to this nightmare:

Disc healing at 48:
As a disc priest I've found my healing on some boss encounters to be very scary and wipe worthy. In fact have had some wipes because I've gone OOM trying to save only the tank.

I try renewing and filling in with heal when I can and then shield, penance and flash heal when health is plummeting beyond what heal can do (often).

Disc healing is not good until we get divine aegis (I have an 80 disc priest too, he's ok).

Holy works in the 30-40+ level range much better than Disc. Holy has buffed healing and enhanced renew that will allow you to fill in with heal on most occasions and then you can fill in with flash heal when needed so there really isn't so much OOM issues at all.

Disc Priests need some fixing, they are painful at low levels just 5 man tank healing.

Should I not use renew until Divine Aegis...? it looks like spamming flash heal is more efficient than renew. Except that renew helps stop player health drop so fast that I can put in some "heals" before I need to penance or shield/flash when penance is on cooldown.

My old healing method was shield centered, but shields last for so short a time that I use them like I would use pain suppression as a mitigation tool in battle when off cooldown when needed since they have such a high cost.

At 80 with mastery, I CAN use shields the old way since they work the way they used to, I feel I can't at this level... that's my concern :(

Here are my Disc healing costs at 48:

Renew heals for 744 damage, 210 mana
PW shield absobrs 712 damage, 190 mana
Pennance heals for 1149, 156 mana
Flash heal hits for 1041, 210 mana
Heal hits for 533, 100 mana

Mana pool 4978

Disc may be ok in the lower levels but in the 30-50 range there is some really sketchy battles that Holy will shine just because they can be more efficient and Disc can't.

Once Disc gets divine aegis then those moments when shield/penance are both on cooldown aren't so dire.

I do use shields!

My full Disc rotation during run of the mill battles:

Pre-Battle Shield
Heal (shield usually breaks in the middle of cast...)
Renew
Heal
Flash Heal
Heal
Shield

Problem is on high damage encounters without divine aegis it becomes something like this:

Pre-Battle Shield
Heal (shield usually breaks in the middle of cast...)
Renew
Heal
Flash Heal
Penance
Flash Heal
Flash Heal
Shield
Flash Heal
Flash Heal
Penance
Flash Heal
Flash Heal
Flash Heal
Flash Heal
Shield
Repeat... OOM
<WIPE>

(I'm guestimating the number of flash heals between shields... it's enough to cause mana issues when there's nothing to cast and damage is high and renew does squat for disc at low level)

The last big wipe that had that made me switch my horde alt to holy for a while was Dire Maul: Gordok Commons. Boss before the King (Fengus?).

I don't think a Disc priest can heal through that boss and his 3 adds in the mid/low 40s.

Is this really posted here? Really? No one cares about your leveling priest. Go away until you hit 85.
85 Goblin Shaman

Slightly? You increased the mana cost by 1/3, that's quite a bit more than "slightly." Everyone knew this was coming, but I guess its the huge mana cost increase that is surprising to me.

your lack of understanding and immediate fall-back to nerd rage is pretty hilarious.

protip: it's not an increase of 1/3 to the mana cost.

85 Undead Priest
02/16/2011 10:10 AMPosted by Shottielol
You could at least compensate for the mana cost increase of PW:S by allowing bubbles to critically absorb.

I think you've misunderstood the purpose of nerfs.
90 Dwarf Shaman
02/16/2011 10:22 AMPosted by Grioja
Really? You guys think Shamans are that far behind? 10% to 25% is quite the increase.

Yes. Look at the logs. They are behind that much. Sometimes less, sometimes more, but 15% with the future of a cd looks like a great change.
90 Draenei Shaman
You have no idea how happy this makes me, especially since I didn't really want to have to sit down and math out how badly shaman were behind in healing compared to priests (I lack a resto druid and paladin of high level to also compare... but it's sad when an 84 Disc priest's base heal... can heal as much as a mostly heroic (5-man) level resto shaman's base heal.

Hopefully this means I can heal without feeling like I'm pulling teeth. I know I need to tweak some minor areas on my gear, but that's no reason I should have been underperforming as much as I was. I might actually feel compelled to play my shaman again and heal for my guild! Hooray!

...too bad I'll probably be sleeping through half the hotfix knowing myself and my sleeping issues. BUT STILL. HAPPY TIMES. (Just wish you'd realized this sooner. :( ....)
8 Troll Hunter
Yay! A nerf intended to fix a pve issue that hurts more in pvp! Shocking!

What a good, if not great, job, Neth!
actually i'm guessing it's the other way around, as usual
85 Troll Shaman
I am very heartened by the buff to Purification. I know Blizzard likes making only incremental changes, so I was afraid we were going to see an entire year of tiny buffs like 4.0.6's +10% to Chain Heal nudging us slowly up toward parity with the other healers. A flat +13.6% healing increase (from 110% to 125%) is really much closer to what we needed.

Even with that adjustment, we might still be on the low end of healing throughput, but it will now be only slightly lower, rather than the really noticeable discrepancy we currently suffer from.

The fact that you are finally looking to address our lack of emergency healing cooldowns is also very exciting. It's been really distressing in recent years to see you guys implementing more and more PvE encounters where such cooldowns are extremely useful (often verging on necessary) when only half the healing classes can actually provide them.
11 Troll Priest
"we also did not want it to be the main spell (and often the only spell) used while in groups"

how about this then:

Blizzard can tell us exactly how to spec and just give us 1 or 2 buttons to click and nothing to think about.

We only play the game 1 way with no choices, no deviation and no thought.

Maybe just 1 single button to click over and over, of course casting only the one spell the developers want you to use.
85 Troll Shaman

Shaman

We are also applying a hotfix for Purification for the Restoration shaman passive from 10% to 25%. We think that shaman healing per second is not as competitive with other healers and while we hoped to bring down Holy priest and Holy paladins (in particular) in 4.0.6, which we did, shaman still appear to be behind. In this case, it is simply easier to buff Restoration shaman rather than nerf everyone else or rebalance the encounters.

Yay! now I can actually heal properly when a tank's health drops like a rock because he calls "No CC"

but seriously, without this, I can't get heroics because the tanks die too fast and I can't keep up, even with CC. With the extra 15% I might be able to handle it without getting exhausted after just one of the easiest roics, or wiping over and over on the harder ones and ragequitting or getting booted.
90 Tauren Shaman
Yay, shaman party day! I don't think this buff can be called anything but "brute force" because a 15% to everything is just... wow. But I'll take it!

Actually I think a mana cost increase on PW:S is better than a nerf to its output at this point (they were gonna nerf one or the other...) Yeah it sucks you can't spam it as much but at times where you really need to (say H Chim mortality, AC P3) you can still blow your bar and make a big difference. 33% is a lot though... Hopefully they'll keep an eye on it.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
What kind of cooldowns are you referring to in the 2nd part of that post?

Are you referring to cooldowns like Holy Radiance or cooldowns like AW or Pw:I... or cooldowns like Pain Suppression and Aura Mastery.
85 Draenei Priest
Since the release of patch 4.0.6, we’ve been keeping an eye on healers and how they are performing and are currently in the process of making some additional adjustments.

Priests

The cost of Power Word: Shield is being increased by 33%. While we wanted Discipline priests to be able to utilize this spell more often and with better results, we also did not want it to be the main spell (and often the only spell) used while in groups. We don’t find this to be a particularly compelling playstyle and have found that it encourages players to avoid using other spells such as Penance. We believe that using a shield in a tight moment is totally appropriate, but we don’t want it to be incredibly efficient to do so with more frequency than that.

We realize that by making Power Word: Shield slightly more expensive for Discipline priests to cast that it might cause Holy priests to avoid using it. To that end, we are adding mana savings into the Body and Soul talent. The tooltip will not reflect this change until a future patch, however. Ideally, Holy priests should not notice much of a change to the Power Word: Shield costs.

[

Discipline is ABOUT shields...and what do you do when we use it? Nerf it. Discipline FINALLY gets a PW:S worth using and you decide to increase the mana cost to make it so costly that your better off just going holy.

"We believe that using a shield in a tight moment is totally appropriate, but we don’t want it to be incredibly efficient to do so with more frequency than that." This is bull! Discipline is about PREVENTING damage....by pre-shielding...Do I use a PW:S when things get tight? Yes. Do I pre-sheild? Yes. Your now saying: USE PW:S ONLY WHEN THINGS GET TIGHT.

"Oh we are worried Holy priests might not use PW:S so we will fix it for them"...while Discipline gets nerfed into the ground. Screw this. I'm done healing.

I wonder why you even made priest 2 different healing trees. Why don't you just remove the Discipline tree altogether? I mean you obliviously don't want it to be used.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]