Archaeology Items' Cooldowns

90 Night Elf Druid
Way too long for some... Pendant of the Scarab Storm for example. It's basically a group of minipets but for some reason it can only happen once every hour and 40 minutes. Especially considering it lasts only about 20 seconds and doesn't change your performance. Same deal with Bones of Transformation, ten minutes for a visual change that lasts only 20 seconds and goes away when struck. I don't know, it seems like either shorter cooldowns or longer durations would be nice.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Bumping this in hopes of a fix for the 1 hour 40min cooldown on the Pendant of the Scarab Storm.

It really doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Sometimes it can be difficult to find a good "sweet spot" when choosing cooldowns for groups of similar items such as those obtained through Archaeology. We don't want all the cooldowns to be exactly the same, but we also don't want it to feel like the numbers were chosen totally at random. We may not always get the values right initially, so knowing what feels good to you and what doesn't -- and why-- is really helpful.

So, basically: thanks for postin'. We really appreciate this kind of feedback. If you've any additional criticisms or thoughts about Archaeology item cooldowns, please feel free to share them (constructively, of course). :)
Edited by Lylirra on 2/28/2011 11:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Are you certain the Pendant cooldown is intended, Lylirra? It's 100 minutes as opposed to the other items' 10 minutes - are you sure someone didn't fat-finger an extra 0 on there?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
what doesn't -- and why--
it feels bad because you spend 30 hours leveling a profession and collecting the materials to get a cool item that is active for like 30 seconds once every 2 hours

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ waste of time
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Well, boss, the RNG hates me. Personally. So when I beat it to get a rare, I feel a pressing need to wave that rare around. I WANT SHADOW ANYAKA EVERYWHERE.
Reply Quote
70 Blood Elf Rogue
Sometimes it can be difficult to find a good "sweet spot" when choosing cooldowns for items such as those obtained through Archaeology. We don't want all the cooldowns to be exactly the same, but we also don't want it to feel like the numbers were chosen totally at random. We may not always get the values right initially, so knowing what feels good to you and what doesn't -- and why-- is really helpful.

So, thanks for postin'. If you've any additional feedback about Archaeology item cooldowns, please feel free to share it (constructively, of course). :)
-make all of the rewards BoA.
-take out the grim batol digsite.
-add uncommon quality consumeables in place of half of the greys.
-reduce the cost of solves, or increase the number of tokens per find.
-add 3 keystones to every relic. drop the cooldowns on the vanity items (innkeeper's daughter excluded) to under 10 minutes each.
-add a vendor in org / stormwind that will trade reputation tokens for grey quality items so they're useful for something apart from gold, because about 80% of the time they're not worth the time it took to find.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Sometimes it can be difficult to find a good "sweet spot" when choosing cooldowns for items such as those obtained through Archaeology. We don't want all the cooldowns to be exactly the same, but we also don't want it to feel like the numbers were chosen totally at random. We may not always get the values right initially, so knowing what feels good to you and what doesn't -- and why-- is really helpful.

So, thanks for postin'. If you've any additional feedback about Archaeology item cooldowns, please feel free to share it (constructively, of course). :)

Yes but why is a small circle of useless scarabs only useable every 100 minutes? thats 10x as long as everything else....
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
One of the things that really got me down was my friend used a potion pf illusion next to me when I was in the Naga transformation and they were able to keep it for 2 minutes AND cast.

I did the work to get the trinket but they reap an even bigger benefit from it just from a potion. :(
Edited by Grandevil on 2/28/2011 5:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue

I can't decide whether fabricating your own reality is suiting for a Blizzard employee or not...it's what you guys do for a living by creating video games, afterall.

Why is it that MOST Pre-cata appearance-altering items have have 30 to 60 minute cooldown with a 5 to 10 minute buff duration? Orb of the Sin'dorei Orb of Deception Frenzyheart Brew Iron Boot Flask It seems everything prior to Archaeology has a 6 to 1 ratio for Cooldown to Duration...why the ARBITRARY change with archaeology?

edited for civility...somewhat
Edited by Tantojutsu on 2/28/2011 5:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
/waves at Totalbiscuit

This made me laugh, all hail azeroth daily....

'....and now its time for your daily blues'
Edited by Megedam on 2/28/2011 5:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
While we are talking about Arch, are there going to be any new epics in 4.1 so that Archaelogy doesn't become a useless profesion because the items are all 359. Thank you (=
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
I can't decide whether fabricating your own reality is suiting for a Blizzard employee or not...it's what you guys do for a living by creating video games, afterall.

Why is it that MOST Pre-cata appearance-altering items have have 30 to 60 minute cooldown with a 5 to 10 minute buff duration? Orb of the Sin'dorei Orb of Deception Frenzyheart Brew Iron Boot Flask It seems everything prior to Archaeology has a 6 to 1 ratio for Cooldown to Duration...why the ARBITRARY change with archaeology?
You can't be allowed to have too much fun. If you could transform in to something neat all the time, think of how overpowered that would be.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

This is ABSOLUTELY FALSE! Fabricating lies will only silence the ignorant readers. Why is it that MOST Pre-cata appearance-altering items have have 30 to 60 minute cooldown with a 5 to 10 minute buff duration? Orb of the Sin'dorei Orb of Deception Frenzyheart Brew Iron Boot Flask It seems everything prior to Archaeology has a 6 to 1 ratio for Cooldown to Duration...why the ARBITRARY change with archaeology?

Yeah, pretty much. Even the 5-minutes-per-half hour ones seemed much. Especially when I can't even use them in Moonkin form!! D:
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]