Archaeology Items' Cooldowns

90 Gnome Warlock
I'm kinda shocked that anyone finds the items crafted from Archaeology even remotely useful.

I've vendored everything I've crafted, except 359 epics.

The coolness/usefulness factor of them just isn't worth the bag/bank space.

What else are you going to use bank / bag space for?

Anything that isn't bound can go on alts. Even if you want to carry multiple distinct sets of gear on you, there's still room for some vanity items in you bags (plus the bank).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/28/2011 7:03 PMPosted by Powerangers
If you don't agree with the intent behind that design or its implementation, that's okay. Just say so, you know?

We have. Many many times. And we get ignored for saying we don't agree. You're not going to try that around here and think it actually means something.

When you finally decide to listen to us, let me know so I can pretend to care.

Just because you voice your displeasure doesn't mean the other side has to change their position.

And there is no monolithic we and us.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
...This is what you finally respond to about Archeology? Honestly? That's pretty freakin sad.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

If you don't agree with the intent behind that design or its implementation, that's okay. Just say so, you know? In fact, we enjoy it when players are able to post constructively on topics they feel passionately about it. We want the game to be as fun as possible, and if you're not having fun, we like knowing why.

I don't know where you have been for the past three months, but the community has been crying for attention pertaining to specific issues for almost 3 months now in the profession forums. There have been hundreds if not thousands of threads on what we (the player base) see as wrong in the current implementation of archaeology. For the first month a lot of the threads were great suggestions on what to change to make it more enjoyable, but after being ignored for 3 months almost every archaeology thread has devolved into a public forum for people to lend each other their shoulders to cry on.

Our main gripe is that the community feels we are being ignored. We waited patiently for a blue to say something, anything, about archaeology and the only post we got?...

02/10/2011 11:13 AMPosted by Nethaera
Hey just wanted to say thank you blizz for the improvements to acheaology. More Tol Vir sites and you make some decent coin while farming it. : ) thanks guys!

Great to hear that the change is helping. We'll continue keeping a close eye on things.

After two months of community outrage that is the reply we get?

This poster pretty much summed up how we feel nicely.

It is truly heartening to finally see a blue post on Archaeology.

It is truly infuriating for said post to simply be acknowledging thanks and not touch on or enlighten us about any of the myriad problems with this profession, some arguably more important than the placement of Tol'Vir sites and the CD on Survey.

It is truly frustrating, but thank you regardless, I suppose. *Goes off to sulk*

Now don't get me wrong, I like the concept that archaeology brought to the table and I have it maxed on two characters and this one is 19/20 for professor 0/10 for the Vial Recipe, and I still chug along mindlessly doing it so I can get either one of those and stop for good.

We just want some acknowledgment that, "Hey, we see that you guys are not having fun with the way it was implemented, so we are looking into it."

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
02/28/2011 8:53 PMPosted by Soothingrain
and the 12 hour cd on the last relic. wtf

^This. I like going random places. I find it truly exciting but i would also like to do it more often and have an chance to be 10,000 feet in the air.
Reply Quote
30 Orc Warlock
I'd love to have the Relic of Argus with a really short cooldown... something like five minutes. Then I could go world hopping near constantly, like some sorta Warp Spider.

"We sting, then disappear."

This is why the long cooldown feels reasonable, haha.

On the other hand, it would be rad if, on use, it had a low random chance to not trigger a cooldown for 1 minute. Then every time this ability procs, the owner would be like, "GO GO GO WARP SPIDER GO!"
Reply Quote
30 Orc Warlock
02/28/2011 7:03 PMPosted by Powerangers
If you don't agree with the intent behind that design or its implementation, that's okay. Just say so, you know?

We have. Many many times. And we get ignored for saying we don't agree. You're not going to try that around here and think it actually means something.

When you finally decide to listen to us, let me know so I can pretend to care.

They listen to me sometimes, does that count?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Sometimes it can be difficult to find a good "sweet spot" when choosing cooldowns for groups of similar items such as those obtained through Archaeology. We don't want all the cooldowns to be exactly the same, but we also don't want it to feel like the numbers were chosen totally at random. We may not always get the values right initially, so knowing what feels good to you and what doesn't -- and why-- is really helpful.

So, thanks for postin'. If you've any additional feedback about Archaeology item cooldowns, please feel free to share it (constructively, of course). :)

So it's not archaeology, and I didn't check to see if anyone had posted in the thread, but Potion of Illusion. Two minutes. What gives? Noggen is 10, transform-items with their long cooldowns are 5-10, and potion of illusion is two. I love the idea of potion of illusion, and it's a very fun item, but I don't feel like I can justify the time/gold for the matts when it only lasts for two minutes per potion (assuming I want to go 2 minutes with whatever it may randomly give me!).

That said, if I had my way things like Orb of the Sin'Dorei would have a cooldown the same length of it's buff duration, soooo I may be a bit biased.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage

That said, if I had my way things like Orb of the Sin'Dorei would have a cooldown the same length of it's buff duration, soooo I may be a bit biased.

Oh Carved Ogre Idol, how I love your 10 minute duration and 10 minute CD. I especially love using you before popping mirror image. If only I could use you while mounted :.(
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
My only big question is why did I spend several hours putting together an extra hearthstone (The Innkeeper's Daughter) just so I could have one more hearthstone in my bag that is useless because it shares a c/d with my other hearthstone? There are other items in the game (Ruby Red Slippers come to mind) that were essentially an extra hearth stone, and I don't recall any of them sharing a c/d...perhaps that has changed, I don't know.

Your Pal,
Jubber
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
02/28/2011 9:30 PMPosted by Jubbergun
My only big question is why did I spend several hours putting together an extra hearthstone (The Innkeeper's Daughter) just so I could have one more hearthstone in my bag that is useless because it shares a c/d with my other hearthstone?

Just what I was about to post. Why spend all that time on a new hearthstone just for it to share the CD?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
The CD for pendant of the scarab storm is indeed overkill. I just got it yesterday, and it was fun for the 20s when I tried to murder my army of scarabs by dragging them over my traps (no, didn't work). Then I realized that the CD was 1 hour 40 mins long. I gaped at these little numbers on my screen.

Anyway, I think the CD on the transporter for 8 hours is reasonable. It could ideally be brought in line with engineering transporters for a 4 hour CD.

CD on the naga/wisp transformation devices: the CD is fine, it is the duration of the buff that makes these a bit frustrating. It would be nice if the CD is extended, but the duration of the buff is also longer, similar to the boot iron flask or even the wisp costume at Halloween.

Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Red ruby slippers always shared a CD with your hearthstone. I think there was a short time when it didn't, but they changed it.

So.. now you can delete your hearthstone and *ahem* use the innkeeper's daughter instead.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
02/28/2011 8:29 PMPosted by Sakiri
Used to be people would just never turn the quest in so they didn't lose the wand. Now they don't take it from you.

This, I did not know. I need to check my quest log now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]