Archaeology Items' Cooldowns

90 Gnome Warlock

That one is meant for a specific quest. That's why it is spammable. You wouldn't want to wait for a 2 hour cooldown if you had to answer a phone mid-quest.

We're not meant to have kept it in our bags forever. In fact, I am surprised they haven't already changed it.

They did. It's no longer taken from you when you complete the quest(at least wasn't before the shattering, dont know if the series is still still).

Used to be people would just never turn the quest in so they didn't lose the wand. Now they don't take it from you.

Unless they have changed it again since 4.0.6 the Furbolg rod you get for that quest is removed at the end of the chain, and only works in Ashenvale during the chain. And the disguise is removed when you take damage
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Alas, I don't have time to properly read the whole thread, but I wanted to stick in my thoughts, as Archeology is a topic I feel pretty strongly about.

I think that, as a general rule, the vanity items from this have way too long CD's when compared to other vanity items. Things like noggenfogger, dark iron boot flask, and potions of illusion should be the way this stuff works. If these were incredibly easy to acquire items (which the aforementioned are incredibly easy), I could understand the very long delays as that would help them feel rarer. However, these items take some serious time to uncover, especially the more interesting ones like the scarab summon. So here's my list:

Transformations should follow a similar formula to the Dark Iron Boot flask at worst (1 hr CD for 10 min) and Noggenfogger at best (no CD, stackable fun!). Things like 50 seconds with 5 min CD or 5 min with 30 min CD, or even 5 min for 1 hr are all much more interesting and usable setups. Something like the Wisp form I would see as a 10 min duration, 30 min CD - it's a very common form that we've seen many times in many places. The Naga transform actually says "endure the transformation", so Something more like 1 min, 10 min CD or 30 sec 5 min CD would be fitting.

Functional items should have longer CDs (except for things like Innkeepers Daughter that just replaces your hearth), but 12 hr for a random teleport is over the top. Engineeers have... 7? teleports ranging from 30 min to 4 hours, why not make it in the 2-4 hours range? Then most people will still get 1 random tele per day, but on weekends they might see 3 or 4.

It's not all bad though, kaldori wind chimes are a 1 min CD and the soul mirror is 10 min. I think those fit well. But the statue set giving 15 seconds for a 15 min CD that can only be used outside, why? I can understand that you don't want people messing with raids and the like indoors, so I can live with that, but the duration to CD ratio is way off.

Most of all though, I'd really really really like at least one of the items to be a long duration (at least 5 min) that does not break on damage. I've tested that the naga has attack animations and everything already, so half the work's done :)

In summary, you guys have a TON of toys and vanity items in the game already, and most, if not all of them, are much MUCH more usable than those from archeology. Why would you make the hard to find items, that really give a sense of "Dude, look what I found! Isn't this sweet?", why make them something you can barely even show off, much less really play around with?

Thanks for reading my rant. I think archeology is a fantastic concept, but it needs some help to be as awesome as it can be. The buffs to low level BoAs, dropping the survey time CD, and upping the vendor values were major steps in the right direction! Next up, straighten out those CDs!
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
I'd just like to add that the cooldown on the archeology vanity items makes them pretty undesirable, in my opinion. Also, varied cooldowns doesn't seem to add much interest to an item when the cooldown is excessive compared to the unimpressive effect.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage

What else are you going to use bank / bag space for?

For space...that's how useless these items are. I'm sorry, but turning into a Naga or a wisp for a few seconds, or having a second hearthstone (that shares the same CD as my hearth), is not cool...at all. Forget about the cooldowns.
Edited by Hierophant on 2/28/2011 10:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
i has fail. the one time a blue responds to me and i had to preface my rebuttal with an insult. sorry, Lylirra.
Edited by Tantojutsu on 2/28/2011 11:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Would be great if there was an Archeology tab (or even an extra large Archaeology bag like the Herb/Mining ones).

There is a heap of random items from archaeology and my bag space is already pretty limited!
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
I'd like to see the Bones of Transformation made into an item ala frenzyheart brew or dark iron boot flask, raiding as naga would be cool!

I also find the 10min cd on the mirror a good spot. I'm sure some people spam these toys every chance they get but for a lot of us its just something to fill up the downtime, and being able to use a minor visual effect every 1.5hrs is kind of lame. 5-30min would be a more ideal range
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
In summary, you guys have a TON of toys and vanity items in the game already, and most, if not all of them, are much MUCH more usable than those from archeology. Why would you make the hard to find items, that really give a sense of "Dude, look what I found! Isn't this sweet?", why make them something you can barely even show off, much less really play around with?

Actually this sums up my feelings way better than I did
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
02/28/2011 6:35 PMPosted by Lylirra
I can't decide whether fabricating your own reality is suiting for a Blizzard employee or not...it's what you guys do for a living by creating video games, afterall.

Hm. There wasn't any fabrication. As noted, we didn't want every single Archaeology item to have the same cooldown. Some of the items are pretty unique and provide interesting on-use abilities, so it made sense to us to vary things up a little. This is perhaps a bit different than our approach to other cosmetic or novelty item cooldowns, but Archaeology itself is new and has its own reward structure.

If you don't agree with the intent behind that design or its implementation, that's okay. Just say so, you know? We're not lying to you or trying to dupe you into agreeing with us. In fact, we enjoy it when players are able to post constructively on topics they feel passionately about it. We want the game to be as fun as possible, and if you're not having fun, we like knowing why.

(Now, with that said, I can see how you may have interpreted what I posted to refer to our design philosophy towards all vanity items, rather than specifically to items granted through Archaeology. If that's the case, then I apologize for the confusion. That certainly wasn't the intention behind message. Instead, the message was simply "We're listening, and we want to hear more from you about this particular topic.")

Are you certain the Pendant cooldown is intended, Lylirra? It's 100 minutes as opposed to the other items' 10 minutes - are you sure someone didn't fat-finger an extra 0 on there?

The current cooldown was chosen deliberately, but I can see why you might think otherwise (100 minutes is kind of strange for a cooldown time).

Anyway, summoning a harem of scarabs can be pretty taxing on some systems, so there were some initial concerns about putting the pendant on a short cooldown. Based on the feedback we've received, though, we're looking into reducing it. We agree that the effect is pretty cool and would be nice to use it more frequently.

Herbalists' Living Seeds are far more interesting/entertaining than any of the archaeology transformation items.

Low duration items simply aren't that fun. I think the dev team missed the mark a lot more on duration rather than cooldowns.

We can't really do anything while under an Archaeology transformation, so why can we only exist in that state for 20 seconds?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
Putting a 12 hour cooldown on an item that can hearth you to pretty much anyplace takes the fun out of it. The cooldowns are bogus.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Death Knight
I would really like to see Blizzards reasoning, in depth, as to why almost every "disguise" effect from items drop soon as combat starts.

Take Dartol's Rod of Transformation for example (Not to be confused with the cata version, Dartol's Rod!!!). Unlike most disguise effects, this one persists thru combat and will last until you get struck (or the full duration, which ever comes first).
Why can't most other disguise effects be like this, at the least?

Just trying to understand "why", either from a technical reason or philisophical one, as I'd like to disguise myself and start killing critters if i find myself in a group, or otherwise waiting for some reason.

*Edit*
Adding in my feedback of disgust, in general, of high cooldown/low diration items.
Especially on items designated for "fun". I may read about such an item that does X, and is only for fun, and I think to myself "Well that does sound entertaining, lemme see where/how to get that @wowhead.com"...
And as soon as I find more information about the item, I just have a slip of the lip and out comes a spew of "salor talk".
Only thing i dislike more, in general, are greifers and ninjas.
(Note: this was directed at "fun" items with cool downs of an hour or greater and less than half a minute of active time. HATE HATE HATE these kinds of items as they don't seem "fun" to me when I see how long they last and how frequently they can be used.
I have no problem with other items with a long cooldown when they're more useful beyond a vanity use.)
Edited by Corkfum on 3/1/2011 12:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Anything that's purely vanity, like the Bones of Transformation should have a cooldown and duration on par with similar items. The The Last Relic of Argus may as well have a short cooldown too since you rarely go anywhere near where you may wish to go.

Need more types of digsites and more content in 4.1 please. Please don't let the profession go stagnant. It would be cool if there was holiday related rares or commons to find during the associated holidays.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I must disagree with the original poster, in that a 10 minute cooldown very reasonable for a purely cosmetic item from Archaeology.

I disagree with your disagreement... a 10 min CD on a 20 sec effect makes the item totally useless vendor trash to me. I can go... "oh cool" the first time I see it but after that it is no fun at all and simply takes up bag/bank space.

I'll just buy noggenfogger that lasts ten whole minutes and has no CD... that is fun! So is savory deviate delight, which lasts an hour.

You can keep your epic vendor trash, thank you!
Edited by Magnata on 3/1/2011 3:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I would like to support increasing the durations and decreasing the cooldowns so we can use our toys more often.

I'd also like to beg for these to be BoA so I can offload them to my alts - I simply don't have bag space to keep all of these one one char. Alternatively, you could make these not take up bag space but be simply things you unlock from the Archy book and use them from there like a spell.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I think one thing that should be looked at, is the Innkeeper's Daughter.

Having 2 Hearthstones has been a perk of the Shaman Class for a long time now, so obviously Blizzard doesn't think that having 2 hearths (Astral Recall can EVEN get a glyph for a SHORTER Hearthstone!) was overpowered.

That being said, could we please have it so that the Innkeeper's Daughter does NOT share cooldown with your regular Hearthstone?

It is a rare find as it is!

To make it so that shamans aren't too overpowered, make it so that the I.D. does share a cooldown with the Astral Recall spell. That way, only shaman archaeologists have a "useless" item, and they don't have much room to complain, with their fancy 15min extra hearthstone, which is actually better than the I.D. in the first place. Meanwhile, all other archaeologists can get in on the fun that Shamans have been enjoying all along.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
quoting from another posters comment in a different thread about archaeology, because its pretty much the same viewpoint that I have.
The illusions should be more like other items in the game. For instance, the naga bones should not only work like the iron boot flask (10 min duration, usable in combat... but not for mounting), it should give you an illusion based on the sex of the toon.
Other toys need a similar boost.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
02/28/2011 6:35 PMPosted by Lylirra
If you don't agree with the intent behind that design or its implementation, that's okay. Just say so, you know? We're not lying to you or trying to dupe you into agreeing with us. In fact, we enjoy it when players are able to post constructively on topics they feel passionately about it. We want the game to be as fun as possible, and if you're not having fun, we like knowing why.

Just another here to say - we have. Dozens of pages of constructive feedback, deeply disturbed that this bit of archaeology about cooldowns is what gets Blizzard's attention.

I have stopped digging, and many others have as well, out of sheer frustration with this profession.
Edited by Setanta on 3/1/2011 8:33 AM PST
Reply Quote

I just want to be able to show off my scarabs

lol the vanity never ceases to amaze me on this game
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]