Archaeology Items' Cooldowns

85 Human Paladin
03/01/2011 6:46 PMPosted by Lylirra
To sort of continue with Setanta's post, we know you have more overarching concerns about Archaeology. We like the current model for Archaeology, so we may not agree with all the posts we see, but we definitely feel that improvements can be made.

I'm definitely not the kind of person to complain about a grind, or even a bit of luck. I anxiously await some of these improvements - but I'm putting my shovel down until then.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I stopped doing this profession 2 days after I started, there were cries about archaeology being horrible during beta and the devs obviously did not listen. What do we know? We're just the ones who play the game....for fun.
Reply Quote
81 Human Death Knight
02/28/2011 6:35 PMPosted by Lylirra
(Now, with that said, I can see how you may have interpreted what I posted to refer to our design philosophy towards all vanity items, rather than specifically to items granted through Archaeology. If that's the case, then I apologize for the confusion. That certainly wasn't the intent behind the message. Instead, the message was simply "We're listening, and we want to hear more from you about this particular topic.")

03/01/2011 6:46 PMPosted by Lylirra
So, the reason I posted in this thread is actually pretty straightforward. Comparatively, the topic of Archaeology item cooldowns is pretty uncommon. It's a valid discussion, but it's not really talked about a lot, so we're interested in hearing more about what players have to say. By posting, I just wanted to thank those who had broached the topic, as well as encourage more players to weigh in with their thoughts and ideas.

You have got to be the kindest person on the internet.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Honestly, novelty items that don't actually "do" anything, just a visual effect, should not have a significant cooldown, increasing slightly based on the amount of complexity said visual effect imparts. Items that create overly complex visual effects shouldn't have much more than double the cooldown of those that do something very simple.

Being that the archeology items don't do anything visually significant (at least of those I've found so far) why any of them would have a cooldown longer than 5 minutes is baffling.

Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Oh wow, I made a successful thread! Anyway, I think the ratio on Orb of the Sin'dorei is pretty good, timewise.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Chiming back in to say that, along with several other people in this thread, I too have given up on archeology. I've not started it on any of my 12 alts, and i haven't dug up anything on my main since a few weeks after Cata launch. It was such an awesome profession, right up to the point where I realized that anything I got from it was either on such a long CD as to be useless, or be such a hellish RNG grind as to make farming Ashes of Alar sound promising.

You guys have a really really really fantastic concept here, but every time I look at the implementation, I cringe, sigh, and log back off. Please just remember that just because Blizzard is happy with the implementation, doesn't mean it's the right way to go, especially for something with very little to no gameplay impact.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Oh wow, I made a successful thread! Anyway, I think the ratio on Orb of the Sin'dorei is pretty good, timewise.

i just wish it did something else as well since i'm already a BE, gender change would be amusing. it would be nice to lose my dk's pallor briefly too. oh well.

aside from that its just interesting to see a somewhat meaningful blue post, i've been away from the forums lately due to lack of response. i'm of mixed feelings on this. its good to know they're out there reading and observing, its unfortunate but not unexpected that they seem ok with the current design.

for myself i am also among those choosing not to participate in this profession until significant changes are implemented. it still kills me a little inside every time i see a Zin'rokh run by.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I see no duration changes in 4.1, am i blind?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Why are you resurrecting dead things you aren't even a DK
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
The only thing I really want from arch is the pet and mounts.

Unfortunately, for that beautiful blue bug, I need tol'vir stuff, which I haven't gotten yet because the spawn's hate me.

Just throwing it out there, would be much appreciated if it wasn't that rare to get stuff from my favourite zone of the expansion.
Reply Quote
Super necro.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
06/16/2012 05:26 AMPosted by Dartannia
Super necro.

It is pretty !@#$ty that they asked for input a year and a half ago and did nothing about it.
Reply Quote
53 Human Warlock
Sometimes it can be difficult to find a good "sweet spot" when choosing cooldowns for groups of similar items such as those obtained through Archaeology. We don't want all the cooldowns to be exactly the same, but we also don't want it to feel like the numbers were chosen totally at random. We may not always get the values right initially, so knowing what feels good to you and what doesn't -- and why-- is really helpful.

So, basically: thanks for postin'. We really appreciate this kind of feedback. If you've any additional criticisms or thoughts about Archaeology item cooldowns, please feel free to share them (constructively, of course). :)
10 minutes is still too long. Whats the reason behind it? I mean come on I spend how many hours to get said item and its a 10min CD and only last like what 10seconds? Its relatively worthless.
Reply Quote
44 Goblin Rogue
I'd like it if my archaeology items acted more like spells kept in my archaeology journal. I don't want to sell my items, but right now, my items take up way too much room in my bank.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]