The End of an Era

90 Undead Priest
The WoW Community Spotlight has shined on my work, and WoW Insider has interviewed me about it. It's been read, praised, criticized, and discussed since 2006. While only a very small part of the WoW fandom, I like to think it has been an important one.

However, all good things must come to an end.

I am writing this to announce that I am bringing Travels through Azeroth and Outland to a close. There are several reasons for this, the most important of which is my desire to work on original fiction. Also, I think that Cataclysm makes for a fine stopping place.

I haven't been very active on these forums lately, but I used to post a lot on the older ones. Some of you may remember Travels from when it first appeared. For those who are not familiar with it, Travels through Azeroth and Outland is a first-person account of a Forsaken mage's zone-by-zone exploration of the setting.

This travelogue delves into history, ecology, society, and economics, and other qualities that can only be touched on in the game itself. While much of the material is poetic license on my part, I try hard to stay true to the lore. I look at the setting from different vantage points, and get into the psyches (or my interpretations thereof) of the different races and factions in the game. I also cover things like a proposed history of the Holy Light (complete with heresies and schisms), how Zul'drak managed to sustain itself for so long, how technology develops and its effects on the world at large, and the differences between goblin and night elf literary traditions, to name a few examples.

I also posted this in the World's End Tavern, but since the travelogue deals heavily with story, I figured I should mention it here as well. I'm not sure how much overlap there is between the users of the two forums.

The travelogue is not finished yet, but it will be once I finish writing about Icecrown Glacier (which will likely be in March). There will also be a short epilogue.

http://destron.blogspot.com/2007/10/introduction.html

Have fun, and don't hesitate to comment.
Reply Quote
61 Human Warlock
I'll be sure to check that link out in the near future. Good luck with your original fiction!
/wave :D
Reply Quote
73 Orc Warrior
I think you meant to put this in the RP forums, sorry to hear you're going though)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/17/2011 4:44 PMPosted by Ugom
I think you meant to put this in the RP forums, sorry to hear you're going though)

She mentioned that she had one there as well. Just letting large groups know.
Gl with w/e you gunna do now person I do not know.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
02/17/2011 4:56 PMPosted by Granfaloon

Heh, thanks. Is your name a reference to Kurt Vonnegut Jr's Cat's Cradle?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/17/2011 5:58 PMPosted by Felya

Heh, thanks. Is your name a reference to Kurt Vonnegut Jr's Cat's Cradle?

Maybe, got it from Castlevania SotN.
Reply Quote
70 Night Elf Death Knight
Also, Monica and Rachel will no longer be roommates.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
CDev wanted me to pass along that they've enjoyed your work so far and wish you well on your future projects. Don't be a stranger!
Reply Quote
I always liked your posts :( Good luck in your endeavors.
02/17/2011 6:53 PMPosted by Bashiok
CDev wanted me to pass along that they've enjoyed your work so far and wish you well on your future projects. Don't be a stranger!

What did CDev say about me Baskiok? Nothing but praise and love I hope.

What am I doing, asking that? Of course they love me.
Edited by Bullfrogg on 2/17/2011 6:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
They love me and my pro-Alliance agitation.

Quirnheim should be immortalized in game as an NPC who yells in Stormwind about Horde favoritism.

Just to make people mad. xD

Only If I get a Rabid Night Elf insulting every non-Night Elf in Darnassus.
Reply Quote
It beats Stormwind for sure.
Reply Quote
They love me and my pro-Alliance agitation.

Quirnheim should be immortalized in game as an NPC who yells in Stormwind about Horde favoritism.

Just to make people mad. xD

Only If I get a Rabid Night Elf insulting every non-Night Elf in Darnassus.
And then a Goblin who stands in the shadows of Bilgewater Cartel, being totally unnotable and-

owait.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
still. Ill miss ya OP.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
02/17/2011 6:53 PMPosted by Bashiok

If CDev likes my travelogue enough to pay me to write it, I'll happily continue it ;)

In all seriousness, however, I'm honored to hear this. My thanks to them for making the world in which I've had so much fun playing and writing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I read some of those and thought they were great. Good luck on future endeavors.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
I started reading these last night. I've only gotten up through EPL so far, but they're fantastic. It's a shame to hear you're stopping, though I do agree that you've picked a good stopping point.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
The WoW Community Spotlight has shined on my work, and WoW Insider has interviewed me about it. It's been read, praised, criticized, and discussed since 2006. While only a very small part of the WoW fandom, I like to think it has been an important one.

However, all good things must come to an end.

I am writing this to announce that I am bringing Travels through Azeroth and Outland to a close. There are several reasons for this, the most important of which is my desire to work on original fiction. Also, I think that Cataclysm makes for a fine stopping place.

I haven't been very active on these forums lately, but I used to post a lot on the older ones. Some of you may remember Travels from when it first appeared. For those who are not familiar with it, Travels through Azeroth and Outland is a first-person account of a Forsaken mage's zone-by-zone exploration of the setting.

This travelogue delves into history, ecology, society, and economics, and other qualities that can only be touched on in the game itself. While much of the material is poetic license on my part, I try hard to stay true to the lore. I look at the setting from different vantage points, and get into the psyches (or my interpretations thereof) of the different races and factions in the game. I also cover things like a proposed history of the Holy Light (complete with heresies and schisms), how Zul'drak managed to sustain itself for so long, how technology develops and its effects on the world at large, and the differences between goblin and night elf literary traditions, to name a few examples.

I also posted this in the World's End Tavern, but since the travelogue deals heavily with story, I figured I should mention it here as well. I'm not sure how much overlap there is between the users of the two forums.

The travelogue is not finished yet, but it will be once I finish writing about Icecrown Glacier (which will likely be in March). There will also be a short epilogue.

http://destron.blogspot.com/2007/10/introduction.html

Have fun, and don't hesitate to comment.

Who're you?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
I do believe this is the first time that a blue has addressed someone outside of a sticky, congratulations on making a popular enough story to receive Blizzard attention.

EDIT: On the story forum that is.
Edited by Omgdruid on 2/18/2011 11:52 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]