Roguedom: Common Rogue Q's & A's

(Sticky)

100 Night Elf Rogue
(Last updated Nov. 12, 2014.)

Whether you're new to the class or a grizzled veteran, there's always more to learn about playing a rogue. Are you looking for a single place you can turn for answers to all of your questions about the class?

Well, too bad. You're screwed. You'll never be any good.

Oh! Sorry; force of forum habit -- I meant the opposite of that.

In this sticky, I’ll do my best to answer commonly asked questions on a wide range of topics relevant to every level and breed of rogue. At present I'm keeping this thread to PvE questions only; I'll fill in PvP gaps in the future.

If you've got any suggestions, Q's you'd like to see A'd, corrections or general death threats, feel free to flip me the bird at @SvelteKumquat or Gharass me at sveltekumquat@gmail.com. I look forward to completely ignoring your messages.
Edited by Rfeann on 11/12/2014 6:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Hot Topics & Resources
====================

What’s changed for rogues in Warlords?
  • In some ways, a lot, but fundamentally the class isn't much different than it was during Mists. In terms of basic mechanics, easily the biggest change is that combo points now stack on us, not on our targets.
  • The best overall summary around is on Wowhead: http://www.wowhead.com/guide=2289/warlords-of-draenor-rogue-changes
  • A quicker FAQ aimed at folks concerned about Level 100 is on Ravenholdt: http://ravenholdt.net/index.php/blogs/roguechat/47-warlords-rogue-changes-faq

What are the latest things that Blizzard has said about rogues?
  • Ravenholdt.net's home page news feed is generally a solid source of new information. I say that from a completely unbiased perspective, of course. It's not like I helped found the site or anything. Definitely not.
  • In addition, Ravenholdt is compiling an ongoing list of designer tweets: https://twitter.com/Ravenholdt/favorites

Where all my guides at?
  • PvE: At the moment, the only source of current, accurate guides to playing a rogue in Warlords is Ravenholdt. They're aimed at people who are Level 100 and looking to optimize their gear and DPS rotation for raiding.
    • Assassination: http://ravenholdt.net/index.php/guides/assassination
    • Combat: http://ravenholdt.net/index.php/guides/combat
    • Subtlety: http://ravenholdt.net/index.php/guides/subtlety

• PvP: Sativ has been producing a series of YouTube videos aimed at answering specific questions about various aspects of PvP in Draenor: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBMButhAK6tt8Fo3R2E4JqD8UVKCCUiTr
Edited by Rfeann on 11/12/2014 6:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
PvE: Basic Questions and Answers
=============================

Hello. You may have noticed this post is presently devoid of actual Q's and their A's. You may also now be in the process of growing chagrined, frustrated, even irrationally enraged.

All of these reactions, and many more!, are entirely understandable. Well, except the irrational rage thing; that's a little irrational.

I've cleared out this post, as well as the one immediately below it, because the information that had been within it is woefully out of date. I'm trying to figure out whether it's worthwhile to update these posts with a new set of Q's and A's for the Warlords era, or whether to just urge you all to use the resources linked in post #2 for all of your informational needs, and instead turn the remainder of this sticky into some other type of useful reference tool.

I'll decide soon, and update these posts accordingly. In the meantime, if you have any rogue-related Warlords questions you'd like to ask me, the best places to do so are here in this thread or over in our forums on Ravenholdt.net. (I do periodically browse the WoW rogue forum, just not as often as I once did; that makes me sad, but I also realize I'm just one dude doing roguey stuff in his spare time, and there's only so many places I can keep regular tabs on. I still love you all in my heart of stabby hearts, though!)
Edited by Rfeann on 11/12/2014 7:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
/vanish
Edited by Rfeann on 11/12/2014 6:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I looked and thought: "Another rogue has my name?"

In other news, this is a really great and very useful thread, Rfeann. Thanks for starting and maintaining it.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Voted for sticky.
Verelyse describes state of rogue QQ:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1965837842#4
Lol. XD
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Tossed in a couple more links from my super-secret list and tweaked the formatting a bit. Please reply with any and all forum threads and outside resources you feel are worth letting other rogues know about; I hope this can ultimately grow into a useful reference tool for advice-seekers and advice-givers alike. (Or it can be met with utter disgust and fall completely flat. Whichever.)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
02/19/2011 2:46 PMPosted by Firstwind
Thanks for starting and maintaining it.

Oh. Crap. I'm supposed to maintain it? I'll need way more money, then.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Vex
Thanks for starting and maintaining it.

Oh. Crap. I'm supposed to maintain it? I'll need way more money, then.

I have good news and bad news:

We're willing to increase your wages by 5% on top of your already 1G.

The bad news, we're going to have to increase your taxes by 4.78%.

But it comes with a free frogurt!
Edited by Caera on 2/19/2011 10:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
That's good!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Added a few outside links (Shadow Panther, Encrypted Text), as well as Aeriwen's leveling FAQ (so sorry, Aeriwen -- I forgot about your freaking *sticky*!) and Gerwulf's subtlety PvE videos. Also did another formatting pass to make the lists more readable.

Pretty light on Combat-related stuff at the moment, so if y'all have threads or outside resources to recommend... please do. :) I'm also considering adding a section that links to thoughtful, constructive threads or individual posts that discuss controversial/ongoing issues in rogueness, such as the value of expertise as Assassination or the places where Sap doesn't work quite right. If you remember any specific posts that explained or discussed these issues especially well, please pass 'em along!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Added a link to WoWWiki's rogue macro page, which is one of the most complete lists I've been able to find. If anybody knows of better, though -- or wants to start a thread that's even betterer -- that would be swell.

Also, a repeat call for the stuff I mentioned just above: more Combat resources you know of, as well as threads/posts on these forums in which people talk to each other in a normal, human, productive, non-abusive manner about debate-worthy rogue issues or about bugs/difficulties affecting our class.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
Voted for sticky

Thanks Rfeann!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Update time!

I've added another two links to the Sub PvE section (Pikawho's guide and Synek's overview in the EU forums), along with a note about why I've got so many links related to a spec that isn't even considered raid-viable. Any sub PvE rogues out there have feelings on which of the four guides I list is better or worse from a helpfulness/accuracy standpoint?

I've also added Ten Ton Hammer's broad overview of the entire rogue class. It's one of few umbrella-type looks at rogueness as a whole, and while it may be out of date in spots, it's still a great first step for anybody who's new to the class, considering rolling a rogue, or brushing off their rogues after a long hiatus.

Please reply with link recommendations or criticisms! This thread is still very light on Combat stuff.

p.s.: Truewann, quit changing the name of your PvP guide every other day. :P
Edited by Rfeann on 2/22/2011 10:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Ha! Thanks. Yeah, since I'm not cool enough to make the news (or start the great forum threads), I figure I might as well just report on it. :)

Hey Tru, I'm considering adding this still-new thread to the mix:

Combat?! PVP viable?
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2112233779

I figure that since Combat PvP tends to suffer from the same knowledge gap as Subtlety PvE, it helps to provide folks with a link to good discussions even if they're not comprehensive guides. But I also don't know Combat from a hole in the ground. In your opinion, is the info in that thread mostly helpful so far? (Celinne, if you're out there, I'd love your take as well.)
Edited by Rfeann on 2/22/2011 12:35 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]