These "Hotfixes" are a no, no.

85 Human Death Knight
We actually spent a bit of time talking to the designers about this very topic, and it's something they're well aware of and realize isn't always ideal.

A few really great points came out of that meeting, though:

• Some changes in 4.0.6 and/or 4.0.6a were just wrong. For a myriad of reasons the changes made in 4.0.6/4.0.6a either did not pan out as expected, or were simply mis-calculations/interpretations. Which is the reason for a number of the quick reversions and changes in hotfixes shortly after the patch.

• While there was feedback from the PTR on what is broken, overpowered, underpowered, etc. there simply wasn't enough data and real world proof for us to make changes. Forum posts always make a lot of noise. It's difficult to separate the seed from the chaff. Yes, it turned out a number of reports proved to be accurate once the 4.0.6's hit the masses and we were able to get a sample size that showed us what needed adjusting.

• The third point discussed was that we have an obligation to deploy hotfixes when we feel we're making quality of life-improvements, fixing errors, or simply making good balance changes. Good balance is very much debatable among who you ask, of course. ;)

• Fourth point really struck home with all of the designers, and that's that they also have an obligation to not use the live realms as a balancing laboratory. That while the changes being made have seemed very quick and sporadic at times, that there is thought and planning going in to them, and they are consciously avoiding throwing out changes and seeing what happens. While some changes have been implemented and then reverted, it's not because a lot of thought and effort didn't go into them, but that simply they didn't work as intended.

I know a lot of us remember the old days where classes would sit without changes for months, in some cases years for specific mechanics. A class would dominate for 6 months, and that's just how the game was. While we think good, measured changes in patches is far more visible and understandable, that hotfixes allow so much more to offering immediate relief that we'd be remiss in not using them to offer a better game experience to you, the players. There's an agreement that 4.0.6 and 4.0.6a have been pretty chaotic with hotfixes, and that's due to a number of issues that we don't consider to be 'usual'. We fully expect them to slow down substantially from this point, and we really appreciate everyone who stays on top of the hotfix blog, and relates the changes as they're made to their guildies and friends.

Any chance you will comment on the druid changes?

Thanks
85 Goblin Rogue
Bashiok, a thought occurred to me when you mentioned relaying hotfixes to friends and guildies.

Would it be possible to have an in-game hotfix log, with a notification perhaps when a hotfix has been made? They're visible on the site, but not for a hefty sum of the players. :)
85 Human Warrior
Any chance frost DK (DW or 2H) will actually be competitive DPS in PvE end content sometime soon?
85 Troll Mage

Thanks

They comment on it all the time..

1. Games not built around 1v1
2. Druids didn't need healers.
85 Draenei Priest
02/18/2011 8:58 PMPosted by Bashiok
Well, the hotfixes did do a pretty good job of keeping my disc priest from (apparently inadvertently) becoming fun to play, and from keeping my spriest from (apparently inadvertently) topping hunter and lock faceroll dps for more than 48 hours, so it looks like the designers have it all under control now.

Awesome! Glad to hear tha... WAIT A SECOND!

:(
90 Undead Warlock
This is WoW. More sweeping changes and knee-jerk hot fixes in 4.1!

It's just the nature of the game.
85 Human Death Knight

Thanks

They comment on it all the time..

1. Games not built around 1v1
2. Druids didn't need healers.

Sorry your comment is meaningless. I didnt seem to be asking you anything.

But to answer you. They have not commented on the druid changes from patch 4.0.6.

90 Orc Hunter
HAHA and as expected. You've already nerfed aimed, and the hawk buff is nowhere to be found. /golfclap

I don't believe either of the hunter hotfixes are actually live yet. But I'm not great at deciphering our hotfix push lingo.

Aimed Shot change is currently live, went from ~45-50k to~35-40k crit damage. Aspect of the Hawk is not currently live.
Edited by Ovan on 2/18/2011 9:22 PM PST
85 Undead Warlock
The amount of hotfixes being thrown around are definitely different, but I'm not quite sure if I like them or dislike them. It sure beats the hell out of having to wait six months for a problem to be resolved, but it can create a sense of chaos and disconnection from your class when the way you've been playing for however long is no longer valid.

I'll admit that there are definitely some decisions Blizzard has made that seem like they were horribly under considered (specifically when TB was awarding 1800 honor points for winning) but in all reality, it's Blizzard. This is the number one video game designer in the world. They've been around for 20 years. They know what they're doing and although they make mistakes too (because they ARE human, for Christ's sake) they're pretty damn good at what they do.

Honestly, Blizzard, you're going to get flack for whatever you do. Whether it's people whining for months because nothing has been done about a certain class's DPS or it's a Priest whining because Disc doesn't work anymore or whatever it is, people will complain. I find it amusing actually to see what people will actually moan about. Just keep doing what you do best, the people that say they're leaving, really aren't leaving and I think you've figured that out by now. (;
Edited by Steezybeezy on 2/18/2011 9:30 PM PST
90 Human Paladin

I know a lot of us remember the old days where classes would sit without changes for months, in some cases years for specific mechanics. A class would dominate for 6 months, and that's just how the game was.

Just an FYI. I have always seen the community upset about things from time to time. Right now people are furious over the constant bouncing and redesigning of gameplay almost weekly. I for one am. I play multiple characters and it seems each one goes through some change that requires me to grossly adjust my spell priorities and CDs. There is buffing then nerfing and it's beyond tiring.

While we think good, measured changes in patches is far more visible and understandable, that hotfixes allow so much more to offering immediate relief that we'd be remiss in not using them to offer a better game experience to you, the players. There's an agreement that 4.0.6 and 4.0.6a have been pretty chaotic with hotfixes, and that's due to a number of issues that we don't consider to be 'usual'. We fully expect them to slow down substantially from this point, and we really appreciate everyone who stays on top of the hotfix blog, and relates the changes as they're made to their guildies and friends.

Keep in mind that not everyone reads the forums in this game. Not everyone follows the changes that are being put out on live servers. For example I had SFK for a heroic today... people didn't know about the change to the random target of Pistol Barrage... While that isn't a player change you'd think that something that that would be easy enough to remember.

Vote kicks, unnecessary dungeon nerfs, unwarranted group buffs... it's like someone has put all the latest QQ topics on a cork board and just started throwing darts at it. There is no election here and no voters to grab. If you're worried about new games taking over then just go back to your roots, not that you have anything to fear from them in the first place.

Enough already.
85 Goblin Priest
Both shadow and disc priest hotfixes are not because the class or the abilites themselves are overpowered your nerfing the core mechanic of the class because of external influences.

How about you fix Dark Intent to not be a 6k dps increase and rebuff shadow so that without it shadow is still somewhat competitive for dps. (hello MIND SEAR IS WORSE THAN HOLY NOVA AS SHADOW WTF)

Disc shield is the same spamming shields is NOT possible even pre hotfix.

Getting 5 innervates and 4 mana tides makes it possible tho so why dont you fix that instead of nerfing a working mechanic so that without 5 innervates and 4 mana tides we can actually use our main spell for the spec.

Its simple really make innervate put a debuff on the person it's cast on to not allow another innervate for 2-3 minutes.

Put a debuff on the entire raid when mana tide is droped so that they cannot be affected for another mana tide for 2-3 minutes.

These external sources of mana have destroyed a good thing about a fun spec and i urge blizzard to rethink their hotfix to make shield cost over 1/3 of a priests base mana pool...

Yes things need to be fixed but not in the way you did it currently nerfing a working balenced spell and mechanic and making it unusable without said extremes such as multi innervates and multi mana tides.

FIX THE SOURCE OF THE PROBLEM NOT BANDAIDE
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Vote kicks, unnecessary dungeon nerfs, unwarranted group buffs... it's like someone has put all the latest QQ topics on a cork board and just started throwing darts at it. There is no election here and no voters to grab. If you're worried about new games taking over then just go back to your roots, not that you have anything to fear from them in the first place.

Enough already.

wish they would give a real respawns as to why hunters can no longer multi trap or at least why the $^#! they didnt include it in the patch/hotfix notes because a lot of the hunters that did multi trap found out the hard way that it was gone, to their groups dismay

so far the only respawns we (the hunter community) have gotten is that "it is working as intended"
90 Gnome Rogue
Current devs simply fail big time.
90 Orc Hunter
02/18/2011 8:48 PMPosted by Bashiok
While there was feedback from the PTR on what is broken, overpowered, underpowered, etc. there simply wasn't enough data and real world proof for us to make changes. Forum posts always make a lot of noise. It's difficult to separate the seed from the chaff. Yes, it turned out a number of reports proved to be accurate once the 4.0.6's hit the masses and we were able to get a sample size that showed us what needed adjusting.

This confuses me. I get that you have to sort through the QQ but it seems like a lot of significant things pass under the radar and are left unanswered.

Some Hunter Questions:
1) What is the intention behind Aimed Shot? Do you only want us using it when we get a Master Marksman proc? Has making it have a cast time + no cooldown made it more difficult to balance versus the old instant cast + cooldown?
2) What is the deal with pet health not properly adjusting(spawning with <10k and taking around 5 seconds to update) and how is this being corrected?
3) What is the cast time on Aimed Shot suppose to be? (What is in the 4.0.6 patch notes is not what is live)
4) Are we suppose to be able to used Deterrence while disarmed or not? (What is in the 4.0.6 patch notes is not what is live)
Edited by Ovan on 2/18/2011 9:43 PM PST
02/18/2011 8:48 PMPosted by Bashiok
I know a lot of us remember the old days where classes would sit without changes for months, in some cases years for specific mechanics

The old days? *looks at arcane* *looks at subtlety* *looks at beast master* *looks at arms*

Really?
85 Goblin Hunter
02/18/2011 8:57 PMPosted by Bashiok
HAHA and as expected. You've already nerfed aimed, and the hawk buff is nowhere to be found. /golfclap

I don't believe either of the hunter hotfixes are actually live yet. But I'm not great at deciphering our hotfix push lingo.

The Aimed shot nerf is definitely in. The hawk buff isn't.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]