The oddities of Karazhan.

(Locked)

85 Worgen Druid
As you probably guessed from the thread title this is a thread about the various oddities of Karazhan.

Some of the oddities are:

-The land it sits on is similar in shape to a Human skull.

-There was an explosion in the area at an unknown time that "weakened reality" in the area.

-It is unknown who built the tower.

-People who visit see visions of the past and future.

-It is believed that all ley line in Azeroth meet at some point underneath the tower.

-The top of Karazhan is a portal to the twisting nether.

-The tower has an upside down mirror version of it underneath normal Karazhan.

-The tower appears to be at least partially sentient in that it sealed off reverse Karazhan on its own.

-Yogg-Saron possibly refers to it in the quote "The giant rook watches from the dead trees. Nothing breathes beneath his shadow".

-The Maiden of Virtue, a titanic watcher, what is she doing in Karazhan?

-The Dark Riders appear to come from Karazhan.

-There is a room full of corpses suspended upside down on hooks underwater called "the upside down sinners".

What do you think this all adds up to?
Edited by Omgdruid on 2/21/2011 4:05 AM PST
27 Draenei Warrior
The jump to answer with strange, corrupt locations usually entail an old being buried beneath in. Certainly could be a focal point again, given its history in lore.
Another new oddities:

-It was the place Med'an was conceived, son of Garona and Medivh, which somehow occurred during a lapse of Kil'jaeden's monitoring. (Disrupted by the unstable locale?)

-The Maiden, speculated to be a Titan guardian like those in Ulduman. Possibly a collector's item of Medivh, or perhaps she was serving another purpose before her arrival.
85 Worgen Druid
02/21/2011 3:47 AMPosted by Amble
-It was the place Med'an was conceived, son of Garona and Medivh, which somehow occurred during a lapse of Kil'jaeden's monitoring. (Disrupted by the unstable locale?)

First off, It was Sargeras posessing Medivh. Second, Sargeras wasn't in control all the time and it appears that Med'an's conception occured in one of the times Medivh was in control.

02/21/2011 3:47 AMPosted by Amble
-The Maiden, speculated to be a Titan guardian like those in Ulduman. Possibly a collector's item of Medivh, or perhaps she was serving another purpose before her arrival.

I had forgotten about her, I will add her to the list of oddities.
77 Human Mage
Don't know, but I'd absolutely love to see it further explored. Karazhan, in terms of visuals, story, ambience, gameplay, and a whole slew of others was easily my favourite raid in WOW for the longest time and... hmm... thinking about it now; still is. I love that place.

Indeed I was extremely disappointed when the crypts weren't opened up come Cataclysm nor the area in any way changed. Back in ye-olden days I was a rabid explorer type, wallwalking, exploiting the environments, and just generally getting everywhere the designers didn't mean for me to. (Please don't ban be Blizzard, I wuv you!) And the crypts were by far the most intriguing place not yet available... alright, not really. The development area that was accessible if you pulled the ol' blink trick just right in the perfect spot within Deadmines, *that* was the most intriguing.

But anyway, I'm getting distracted. General point being that Karazhan is ripe for further development and there are even many more than a little intriguing elements in place now, simply not accessible to the player.

I mean the Dark Riders never were really explained, nor why the fabric of 'reality' is so thin around that area to such a degree you're literally stepping into another dimension of sorts when you reach the top. (Very clever visual trick there Blizzard!) And who the blazes is Ariden and why does he have a camp in Deadwind Pass anyway? Similarly there are entire areas just begging to be revisited: the crypts obviously, but also the 'upside-down' tower, the surrounding village, the surrounding mountains, it's all just begging to be expanded on.
85 Worgen Druid
02/21/2011 3:59 AMPosted by Crandall
nor why the fabric of 'reality' is so thin around that area to such a degree you're literally stepping into another dimension of sorts when you reach the top.

There was an explosion that weakened reality in the area in the time before Karazhan was built, also, the top of Karazhan links to the Twisting Nether, that a good enough explanation of why the fabric of reality is so thin?

Also, good point about the Dark Riders, I shall add them to the list.
77 Human Mage
02/21/2011 4:04 AMPosted by Omgdruid
There was an explosion that weakened reality in the area in the time before Karazhan was built, also, the top of Karazhan links to the Twisting Nether, that a good enough explanation of why the fabric of reality is so thin?

What caused the explosion, and why of all places the Twisting Nether? I'd love to see it further explained.

From an aesthetic point of view, I absolutely love how the further up the tower you get the more strange things become. From the outside it looks solid enough, but from within in cases like the library the ceiling has literally been torn apart with huge chunks of the original towers construction floating away and such. The towers original fairly realistic design giving way to some serious M. C. Escher style stuff.

Great place! Wonder if a similar effect would be taking place in the speculated mirror version of the tower? Hmm...
Edited by Crandall on 2/21/2011 4:18 AM PST
85 Worgen Druid
02/21/2011 4:18 AMPosted by Crandall
Great place! Wonder if a similar effect would be taking place in the speculated mirror version of the tower? Hmm...

If anything, it would probably be even weirder considering that the further down you go the closer you are getting to the place where every ley line in Azeroth meets.
77 Human Mage
02/21/2011 4:20 AMPosted by Omgdruid
If anything, it would probably be even weirder considering that the further down you go the closer you are getting to the place where every ley line in Azeroth meets.

I'm picturing a scenario where rather than climbing up, you're descending down. The walls crumbling as you descend and the floor missing in places, revealing an impenetrable 'nothingness' which slowly seems to be reclaiming the building itself. The further you go the more insane things become till you cross one threshold and beyond are vast, alien landscapes stretching out across the horizon. Your path now limited to a few ethereal floating platforms which even as you watch seem to be fading in and out of reality...

Damn that would be amazing, make it so Blizzard! I know you're capable of it, just think Diablo 2's later levels combined with the same sorta effects you used on the Algalon fight.

Please?...
100 Tauren Druid
How is Gorehowl in there despite it having been in Thrall's (now Garrosh's) possession?
85 Worgen Druid
02/21/2011 5:16 AMPosted by Crandall
I'm picturing a scenario where rather than climbing up, you're descending down. The walls crumbling as you descend and the floor missing in places, revealing an impenetrable 'nothingness' which slowly seems to be reclaiming the building itself. The further you go the more insane things become till you cross one threshold and beyond are vast, alien landscapes stretching out across the horizon. Your path now limited to a few ethereal floating platforms which even as you watch seem to be fading in and out of reality...

That sounds awesome, I wouldn't mind Blizzard delaying an expansion for a month or two simply so that they could do this as the reverse Kara if they revisit Kara.
100 Tauren Druid
02/21/2011 5:28 AMPosted by Worpath
How is Gorehowl in there despite it having been in Thrall's (now Garrosh's) possession?

And how can I have 2 of them and dual-wield them?

that just raises further questions
100 Tauren Druid

that just raises further questions

Wonder what happens if I kill Garrosh with his own axe?

Three Gorehowls clashing might rip the universe appart
Edited by Cadmann on 2/21/2011 5:34 AM PST
85 Worgen Druid
And yet he somehow used each of the Gorehowls on hundreds of battlefields each.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Karazhan is just in the books for:

"Hmm what can we do?"
"No idea. get the books?"
<flip through books>
"AHA! We'll revisit Karazhan! Get the writers on the lore and the developers on developing!"
"AYE AYE SIR!"

Make it rise once more Blizzard! Make it... reverse rise!
90 Dwarf Warrior
02/21/2011 3:27 AMPosted by Omgdruid
-There is a room full of corpses suspended upside down on hooks underwater called "the upside down sinners".

This is probably a reference to the "Hell of the Upside Down Sinners" from Big Trouble in Little China.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]